Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  FOUND...Dingman Brothers IMSA FIERO GTO (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
FOUND...Dingman Brothers IMSA FIERO GTO by red GT
Started on: 01-24-2004 01:22 PM
Replies: 61
Last post by: cenneth on 02-17-2004 09:36 AM
red GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red GTSend a Private Message to red GTDirect Link to This Post
Went to Dingman Brothers shop this morning and look what we got to play with....

[This message has been edited by red GT (edited 01-24-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
red GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red GTSend a Private Message to red GTDirect Link to This Post
red GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red GTSend a Private Message to red GTDirect Link to This Post

red GT

413 posts
Member since Aug 2002
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the pictures! I always wondered what happened to this car. I got to see it run at Mid Ohio in 1988 in the GTO class with a V6. I don't think many people know remember much of this car since it ran for such a short time. I took a pictures of the car and of the semi it had a great painting of this car on it. Did it still have the stock steering wheel on it? The race I was at it ran a stock GT steering wheel. This car spanked a lot of V8 Camaro's and Roush Mustangs.
I am glad they preserved this car as originaly was. If I remember it one one of it's first races, Miami I think?

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 01-24-2004).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Whoa, sweet! Can you get any more pics, larger maybe?
Proud88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Proud88GTClick Here to visit Proud88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Proud88GTDirect Link to This Post
We had a great time looking at this car today. ( Florida Fiero Council) This car is just how it looked right after it stopped racing back in 1987. We have a lot of pictures.

Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
Hmm wonder if you could slip that into SCCA ITE class.
Proud88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Proud88GTClick Here to visit Proud88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Proud88GTDirect Link to This Post
More...

Proud88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Proud88GTClick Here to visit Proud88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Proud88GTDirect Link to This Post

Proud88GT

275 posts
Member since Mar 2002
maybe one more... It was cool getting into the car.

Proud88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Proud88GTClick Here to visit Proud88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Proud88GTDirect Link to This Post

Proud88GT

275 posts
Member since Mar 2002
This car did win in Miami and it has a V6 in it.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Great find! Do they plan to do any vintage racing? If I remember it was a 90 degree V6 with a GTP light hewland trans axle in a north south layout as I recall. If I can get someone to scan my Pictures I will post them from the race it was at in the 80's. It looks just as I recall seeing it. Just Cleaner!

PFF
System Bot
Proud88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Proud88GTClick Here to visit Proud88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Proud88GTDirect Link to This Post
I do not think so because the car is important part of history to the Fiero and to their race team. They do not have their Trans Ams anymore, but they kept the Fiero.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
What is the Pontiac behind it in the picture next to the truck?

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

hyperv6

6002 posts
Member since Mar 2003
sorry dupe post!

Proud88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Proud88GTClick Here to visit Proud88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Proud88GTDirect Link to This Post
It is the Grand AM Drag car that they are racing.
red GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red GTSend a Private Message to red GTDirect Link to This Post
Hyperv6... you are correct on the steering wheel. The car started out as a carb engine and ended up with a 90 Degree Pontiac Super duty V6 4.5 272 C.I.D Port Fuel Injection putting out 500 hp @7500 rpm with a six speed gear box. Its last race was the One Hour at Del Mar were it took second place in the GTO Class and the first race was the Miami GT were it place first in its first time out. This was a factory race car so it had to go thru all the race people at Pontiac. They have no plans on bring it back out to the track as of yet....
red GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red GTSend a Private Message to red GTDirect Link to This Post

red GT

413 posts
Member since Aug 2002
Yes you are correct on the Grand AM, good eyes....
Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2004 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for sharing. Man would I LOVE to build that car. If only there was a legal class for it today on the pro level.

Are those Fox external reservoirs on the dampers!!??!! I thought we were the only idiots that tried running mountain bike shocks on race cars

red GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red GTSend a Private Message to red GTDirect Link to This Post
Mr. Dingman also brought a friend along with him this morning and that was the owner of Diverified Glass Products also know as DGP who built the Stage ll and Stage lll molds and then sold them to IRM and we know where they went from their...It was a GREAT DAY.....
red GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red GTSend a Private Message to red GTDirect Link to This Post

red GT

413 posts
Member since Aug 2002
Yes they are fox here is a picture of the front end...
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Howard_Sacks:

Thanks for sharing. Man would I LOVE to build that car. If only there was a legal class for it today on the pro level.

Are those Fox external reservoirs on the dampers!!??!! I thought we were the only idiots that tried running mountain bike shocks on race cars

There's plenty of similar chassis that you can build legally today....if you've got the dough! That car was no cheaper to build then than it is to build the current chassis now.

You do know that Fox makes shock absorbers for lots of stuff, don't you? I first saw them on a motorcycle, myself, but have since seen them on lots of dune buggies and mountain bikes....oh, and formula SAE cars, of course.

Bryce
88 GT

PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by red GT:

...a 90 Degree Pontiac Super duty V6 4.5 272 C.I.D Port Fuel Injection putting out 500 hp @7500 rpm...

They made a Super Duty V6?!?! I never knew that! How much do THOSE go for?

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2004 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
I don't know, there's something romantic about racing a Fiero. I do plan on building a similar chassis for racing in today. It would be nice to have a Fiero skin though.

I know Fox did other stuff. Ken Adnerson was doing doing all sorts of off road and even indy stuff back in the 80s. Really was a pioneer. Today if you call up Fox and ask and ask about race cars, you kind of get hung up on. I know one product rep was all hot to sell me stuff(extra seals and shafts) and do custom valving until he found out the shocks weren't going on a bike. *frown*

Originally posted by Nashco:

There's plenty of similar chassis that you can build legally today....if you've got the dough! That car was no cheaper to build then than it is to build the current chassis now.

You do know that Fox makes shock absorbers for lots of stuff, don't you? I first saw them on a motorcycle, myself, but have since seen them on lots of dune buggies and mountain bikes....oh, and formula SAE cars, of course.

Bryce
88 GT

Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonSend a Private Message to DragonDirect Link to This Post
How about some white ones

Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonSend a Private Message to DragonDirect Link to This Post

Dragon

1352 posts
Member since Jun 2001
and then add some green

and how about the sunshine / lack of snow

Proud88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Proud88GTClick Here to visit Proud88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Proud88GTDirect Link to This Post
Here is an other picture of the front end

Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonSend a Private Message to DragonDirect Link to This Post
and a lower down view

red GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red GTSend a Private Message to red GTDirect Link to This Post
Here's a side view....
Proud88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Proud88GTClick Here to visit Proud88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Proud88GTDirect Link to This Post
This is what it looked like behind the wheel.

iced_theater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iced_theaterSend a Private Message to iced_theaterDirect Link to This Post
I'm also curious about that super duty V6. Does anyone know what's special about it and if they still make them like they do the super duty 4?
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post

Frank's belt line= top of Fiero

PFF
System Bot
Proud88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Proud88GTClick Here to visit Proud88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Proud88GTDirect Link to This Post
this car was in the GTO class which was for the bigger cars with bigger engines. Most of the Fiero race cars were in the GTU class and ran with the Super Duty 4. The V-6 was a 4.5-Liter, 90 degree V-6 with 500 bhp. An other note Bob Earl raced this car.
It won the Miami Grand Prix on March 1. 1987. (not first in its class, but First overall.)
It also won at Lime Rock.

This car was pictured in the 1988 Pontiac Brochures also.

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
Post every photo that was taken. I wish I could have been there. Excellent thread.

------------------

87 SE, Tech IV, Auto.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
The engine if I recall was the same block as the GTP Corvette that ran in IMSA less the Turbo. This engine is based on the 4.3 stock block but beefed up quite a bit. All the parts were in the GM Power Book.
You have to wonder what this car could have done if Pontiac did not drop the program. It was a great car out of the box and Could handle the Pratt and Miller and the Dominate Roush GTO cars that were in the series.
The only other car I ever saw that was as good as the Fiero GTO out of the box was the
F-40 LM that Ferrari of France and driven by Jean Alesi But it ran in only a couple of races and also never got fully developed too.
red GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2004 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for red GTSend a Private Message to red GTDirect Link to This Post
Yes it started out as 4.3 and we were told it was capable of 190 MPH but for every hour of racing it reqiured four hours of maintenance ... Here is a little racing history for this car in the 1987 IMSA GTO Class 1st place at Miami, 5th at Riverside 5th at Arizona Camel GT, 5th at Mid Ohio, 2nd at West Palm Beach, 4th at Road Atlanta, 24th at Summit Point, 19th at Portland 2nd at Sears Point, 1st at Lime Rock, 5th at Watkins Glen, 4th at Columbus, 2nd at Del Mar, and only one DNF and that was at Laguna Seca. Bob Earl was their driver for this season...

[This message has been edited by red GT (edited 01-25-2004).]

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2004 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
WOW!

Okay, I'm impressed. That would be great if you could post all of (or email me) the pictures. Yesterday (just by dumb luck) I was at Paul Vanderley's shop. Both doing Fiero Race Hisotry on the same day. I had read about this car but didn't realize that is was still around. Did you say that you guys met the former owner of DGP?! I really need to contact him about the history of my fiberglass body. John (Callies) was able to tell be some information, but DGP would be able to tell me LOTs more. Maybe they could tell me why it wasn't distroyed.

According to John, the longitudinal V6 was a screemer. My guess is that it was the highest performance "Fiero" (all around) ever built. I really love the inboard coil over setup. That would help tremendously with the unsprung weight. Are there any pictures of the rear suspension?

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THE PICTURES! What a find!

------------------
Paul

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2004 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Wow,...very impressive i love it !

I am in Orlando, how do I go about seeing this car ? Might sound stupid but who or what is Dingman Brothers ??

Do they take this car to shows ? If not they should. It would be amazing to see baby at Daytona.

Proud88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2004 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Proud88GTClick Here to visit Proud88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Proud88GTDirect Link to This Post
More pictures...

[This message has been edited by Proud88GT (edited 01-25-2004).]

Proud88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2004 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Proud88GTClick Here to visit Proud88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Proud88GTDirect Link to This Post

Proud88GT

275 posts
Member since Mar 2002
more...

This picture is REDGT car and My car next to the IMSA GTO Fiero

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2004 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Do you guys have any pictures of how the door opens on the drivers side?

Paul

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock