Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Any interest in a custom plastic cover for the idiot lights? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Any interest in a custom plastic cover for the idiot lights? by 1985FieroGT
Started on: 12-02-2003 12:13 AM
Replies: 87
Last post by: 1985FieroGT on 01-22-2004 06:16 PM
1985FieroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
These are being discontinued, if you were interested, please don't send any money, they just didn't turn out right.

[This message has been edited by 1985FieroGT (edited 01-21-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Definately! Gotta have the "Check Wallet" light. I'm trying to think of some clever stuff for the other ones. I'll let you know if I come up with anything. How much? I dunno, materials, labor, shipping, and ya gotta make a little profit. Whatever that all works out to I guess.
rynelson85

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rynelson85Send a Private Message to rynelson85Direct Link to This Post
we have a seatbelt light? I don't. Maybe taking that blue box out disables it. Cool.
StansGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StansGTSend a Private Message to StansGTDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking, change the check engine light, to a red light that blinks "Broken",, at least in my stratus....

------------------
02' 3800SC Poly, Koni, 17" 245-40's, "RWD" V6SC>V8 ;)

USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
you could use smileys or stick figures depicting joy, rage and prayer...

------------------
John DuRette
Black 85 SE, undergoing work as we speak!

Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
I like the check wallet one too!
fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
Or instead of check engine "Kaboom?"

1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post

When the images convert to jpg from bmp, they don't look as good as they use to.

[This message has been edited by 1985FieroGT (edited 12-02-2003).]

1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post

1985FieroGT

3835 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Oh the font I used for those last ones is the same font that Pontiac used for the fiero, Hemihead 426.
DotTC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1985FieroGT:

Oh the font I used for those last ones is the same font that Pontiac used for the fiero, Hemihead 426.

Close to the same one, not the exact same one.

sastian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sastianClick Here to visit sastian's HomePageSend a Private Message to sastianDirect Link to This Post
how about a " you missed your shift" or a "you shoulda shifted back there" or "oww"
PFF
System Bot
1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Well a little bad news, the hemihead font doesn't exactly print "well" onto paper, it'll still print, but it'll be pixalated etc. I picked up some transparacy's today and GM bright red paint. I think what I'll do is, print off the basic black shape with the letters, let it sit and dry, then mask it off and paint the back for the red letters. I still need green paint for the blinkers. One other problem, I'm very limited to the size of what I can fit in each box. Check engine oil is too big, etc. The actual thing I printed off earlier was the same size, but it was unportioned right, needing smaller font size, etc.

------------------
Proud owner of a Bright Red 1993 Grand Prix SE, 3.1 V6, 4 speed on the floor, fully loaded, very nice

In Progress Restoration/and attempt of a 1984 SE, powered by a 2.8 V6, and getting a future 350/383 SBC (after I can afford the rebuild). ;)

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
How bout something totally comical for the shift light since everyone ignores it? Like just a ? (question mark) or HI! I wonder if "MADE YOU LOOK" would fit? DISREGARD FASTER! HARDER! MORE! CAREFUL... WASTING GAS I dunno, just some ideas.

Gotta have the CHECK WALLET

For oil, you could do NEED LUBE or something.

Seatbelts could be BUCKLE UP! or HANG ON! or something.

Also, can you get creative with the turn signal? Something besides a block arrow. Maybe a thin one like -> or something.

I like the "MADE YOU LOOK" "->" "NEED LUBE" "HANG ON" "CHECK WALLET" combo personally. And to think, we still have the whole other bank of idiot lights to play with too!

BTW, I have an 86 GT with the seperate oil pressure/volts gauges, so I believe its a different insert. Shouldn't be too hard to make ones to fit those dashes.

naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

MADE YOU LOOK

Thats awesome!!! HAHAHA

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com AIM: Naskie182010

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
i like the "broken" light idea, or have it say "Oh F*ck", and "Oil?"

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk

Racingman24

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

WASTING GAS

I like that one.

And for the turn signals, how about "BLINK"

maybe I'm just too tired and think thats funny. o well

Eric

------------------
88 Coupe, Duke I4, 5 Speed

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
to go along with a previous trend...

Next Gear
Right Turn
Got Oil?
Buckle Up
Got Cash?

1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Well So good so far, I have the basic box aligned almost exactly, I did get the hemihead to look ok on the printer. Just so that you guys know, if this goes through ok, it'll look good, but it won't be perfect as I don't have a $2,000 printer. I printed my first transparency as a test on my older laserjet. It printed ok, but when shined through, it lights up. I could do a transparency, then a paper version, cut and match in a sense. The paper version behind would only have little blocks of white where I'd have to cut out for the lights, and the extra black of the heavy duty paper keeps it dark. Or I could use heavy duty black construction paper as a backing and only cut out the small areas where I need it so it doesn't glow through, paint the areas I need to red, and the blinker/ Turn Right thing green. It'll be heavy duty I'd think, and in theory should work. The plastic transperancy on its self isn't heavy duty enough even if it was dark. I'm also painting the first one too.
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
You could take the stock, existing lights and just cut out the actual square lights, keep the black surround, then put your transparency over the top.
StuGood

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StuGoodSend a Private Message to StuGoodDirect Link to This Post
Pretty sure this isn't an original idea, but reminds me of one of my brother's old cars - he rigged one of the warning lights, so it actually said "Idiot," when it lit.
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
LOL thats great. Should make one of them say that, maybe the shift light!
PFF
System Bot
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post

If I had the 85mph speedo, I'd love this one!!

------------------

'86 2.5L turbo

Chris_Oslo_Nelson@hotmail.com

Fierobruiser

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2003 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobruiserSend a Private Message to FierobruiserDirect Link to This Post
My suggestions would be for AVANTE (faster or forward), THROW RiGHT (HANG LEFT), PSI (with the international symbol for no over it), AVOID TICKET, and the last should be either OPEN WALLET or WHAT NOW?

------------------
Notchbacks Rule
84 Coupe(parts car)
85GT(show car)
87SE Gold(project car)
87SE Silver(daily driver)
88Coupe (daily driver)
88Formula (daily driver)

[This message has been edited by Fierobruiser (edited 12-03-2003).]

1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2003 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
The first one has the red painted on it, GM Bright red. I printed off the transparancy as mentioned last night, and painted the back with it. Now when it's held up to a bright light it looks pink. I'll have to see what it looks like with the fiero's dash lights on. Might need a 2nd coat. Oh never spray any small amounts of paint in your bedroom I was high the entire night, weee!!!! But anyways, when I have the thing done and it looks right, I'll make a corresponsing left side and see what it looks like. $20 shipped maybe for a set?. For the black problem, I'll try out the black paper, or try painting the backs black. But probably the paper because of it being heavy duty. I'll use the clearcoat to overcoat it. Hemihead font is ok, but takes up a little more room. SO I can have an option for hemihead, or a font thats close to the GM original. Remember its only limited to how big the little boxes are. You can have the Oh F*** option if you want, but I won't make one up till its ordered. Check Wallet. Engine Fire. Hot Tomale???. No Oil, Made you look. etc. When I have the prototype good, you can order what you want.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2003 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
First I would like to say that this is one of the coolest ideas I have seen in a while!

Here are a couple of my suggestions:

Shift = REV IT BABY or LOUDER LOUDER or NEED MORE RPMs
Left/Right = HANG ON or HOLD TIGHT or BRING ON 1G
Seatbelt = HARNESS & HELMET
Engine = BAD NEWS or END OF FUN

Oil = SPUN BEARING (cluster or aux gauges)
Alt = DAMB GREMLINS or MORE GRIMLINS or GRIMLINS AGAIN or JUMP ME (the aux panels)

I will take a set of the following for the 85 MPH cluster.
REV IT BABY
HANG ON
HARNESS & HELMET
SPUN BEARING
END OF FUN

If you ever make it for the aux gauges as well, right me down for a set of the same as well as the JUMP ME for the alt.

Dewie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2003 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DewieClick Here to visit Dewie's HomePageSend a Private Message to DewieDirect Link to This Post
how about:
IGNORE
THIS
LIGHT

For the Shift light.

------------------

http://dewie.no-ip.com

WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2003 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIRODirect Link to This Post
Though the suggestions are hilarious, I would put money down on something that looks stock except for the shift light simply saying:

FASTER

I've thought about that for years but never knew how it could be done!

Kedmunds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2003 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KedmundsSend a Private Message to KedmundsDirect Link to This Post
Or how about what I did. I used the open space that in the manuals was supposed to be a "Low Coolant" light, and made it say "Security" with a key symbol below it. I then modified a bulb holder to hold my security sytem LED, and now when the security system is armed the "Security" light in the dash flashes.
1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2003 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
SO far so good, its actually working I think. My first prototype for the right side is about 90%. Unfortunately there was a hair on either the laser burner or the sheet so right below the check engine oil, there's a hair burned in with the laser ink. They look pretty good, as long as your not up close and looking at it, as your all forewarned it will have to be printed off a laser jet, and it has a sort of "dotted effect", nothing you can see a foot away, and in a darker car, but its there if looked at real close. The back was painted red, with the blinker light taped over, to be painted green. From the looks of things 2 coats of automotive grade paint should work, it also makes the black darker, and it doesn't have the show through effect I had yesterday. Plus I don't have the pink look with only a thin coat of paint, as I put the 2nd coat on. For now I think I'll leave the main message boxes red when I start taking orders, and the blinker arrow, or turn right, etc green. You can order anything custom, as long as it can fit in the little boxes in the guage face, within 12 font, for Hemihead 426 "Close to the original Fiero font pontiac used" (seen above), or a close font used on the original idiot light faces.
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2003 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Let us know when you make one for the 120mph cluster with seperate gauge pod over the stereo! I meant to look at the idiot light layout on mine, but I forgot. Soon as you're ready, I'll send in my order!
1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Alright, I guess I'm gonna have to tear apart my GT guages now :P. For ordering, as I cannot accept paypal, it'll have to be done with Cash, U.S. Postal Money Orders, or Check (with a servicing period). I'll probably make up a printable order form that can be printed off, and has the basic design for the guages, with lines and arrows pointing to where you want what, for the corresponding boxes. You print in what you want, Remember its about 6-7 characters or so for each line, with a maximum of 3 lines, at least for hemihead font. Its about 5-6" or so till you can see the swirl/blackmarks from the printer. So that puts it at the steering wheel. I'll most likely have to use a thicker plastic for a backing so it can hold up better. I'm unsure however how these will withstand UV though. It'll be clearcoated, and I'd hope they last as long as the factory ones. I'll add more as I progress with the prototypes. Also for that black spot above the tachometer in the face plate, I'll probably make something for that too, it'll be unlit, but at least something will be there (Extra $ option). Not sure how much I could fit though. Maybe "FIERO PERFORMANCE" or "PONTIAC EXCITEMENT". I'll make them like the idiot lights, but use a white backing so they can glow as best as they can. It'll be up to the buyer to glue that into place as there's no provisions for anything to stick there. To put in the idiot light overlays does require you to tear apart your entire guage pod, and to pull the old ones out from the metal frame, and replace it with the new ones. Should have 2 flat pegs for mounting on each side. Well when I typed this up, I was tired, and I need sleep, so it might not be totally right in grammar sense.
PFF
System Bot
85fierowiks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fierowiksSend a Private Message to 85fierowiksDirect Link to This Post
first day i got my fiero, engine froze up and wouldn't turn over, it was day light outside, i didn't even know the fiero had "shift light"...i need to finish my engine swap. i got a plan for the car
1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Also, seeing the shift light would glow too much on an automatic car, for auto people I could make a blank for the shifter spot if you want, unless you want text up there too, it just won't light up. But I can just leave it black. If not the red from the lettering glows.
USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
[b]BOO![b] but I liked 'made you look!'
[b]TILT[b]or 'brace yourself?'
[b]GRAB SOMETHING[b]'belt up and shut up' is too long
[b]GAME OVER[b]or a death's head?
1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
sig test

------------------

For more info on the idiot light overlays please click here:
[url]https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/036100.html[url]

1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post

1985FieroGT

3835 posts
Member since Sep 2002
test

------------------

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/036100.html

1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post

1985FieroGT

3835 posts
Member since Sep 2002
test

------------------

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/036100.html

1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post

1985FieroGT

3835 posts
Member since Sep 2002
bump
naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post
I like "Made You Look" for the Shift Light and "Game Over" for the Check engine light
GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
i like the "Oh F*ck!" light in place of "check engine"

for turn signal you could put "your turning left/right" or "blinking left/right"

------------------

+ a silver 85 2M4 and a gold 87 2M4
--Adam--
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave