Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Trying 19s on stock 88 suspension (Big pics!) (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Trying 19s on stock 88 suspension (Big pics!) by Songman
Started on: 11-26-2003 01:20 PM
Replies: 73
Last post by: madcurl on 03-07-2004 07:37 PM
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Black + Chrome = Bad A** !!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP: Logged
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

Here's the wheels, Curly. I'm gonna have to think about that chop! I don't even know if I can pretend to do that to my car! haha

If you read this, go ahead and tell them about the new wheel. I'm working on the pictures now and will post them in a few minutes... You can tell all the details.

Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
Chop? as in Chop top? Achie said he will not and cannot do a choptop on a T-top car.

------------------

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Maybe someone besides Archie can.... There's a lot of things been done to Model Ts that Henry Ford would have said could never be done... Not a slam to Archie, but just because he doesn't want to do it doesn't mean it can't be done.

I am of the opinion that if it can be done in Photoshop, it can be done in real life if someone wants to take the time to do it...

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

Songman

12496 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Here are the latest pictures showing clearance of these massive wheels on a stock 88... Curley will give more details but I think these are 20x11!!! Sorry the pics are so huge but I wanted detail visible for those who are thinking of bigger wheels.

Plenty of clearance on the strut. I didn't have a tape measure but I could put a finger between the wheel and the strut, not quite 2 fingers though. There was plenty of clearance above for the low profile tires that would fit this wheel.

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 01-26-2004).]

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

Songman

12496 posts
Member since Aug 2000
And from the back.... Luckily. Curley's car is going to be widened in the rear to cover all this wheel!

Of course, without a tire on the wheel we couldn't sit the car down to check it, but it looks like plenty of clearance...

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
lOOKS CLEAN SONGMAN!

Okay, Songman and I decided to try the 20x11 on his stock 88GT to see if the rims could fit without coil-overs, how much will they stick out? The rims offset i do not know and there was no marking on the backside of the rim (custom). HRE and Custom Auto are into making monies and secrets are close to the vest.

All that I can tell you is: the rims where based on the original Borbets on my sig. The Borbet's are 17x7.5, 35mm offset and not the original 15x7. Now, on with the rims.

The future tires to be fitted on the rims are as following: 345/25/20 P rosso. 26.8 height, 30Lbs, 11-13 rim width. I know that one will need extra power to move these massive tire/rims combo resulting in a greater rolling mass. No problem, car will be fitted with a Northstar (other goodies to the suspension will follow, stay tuned). The front tires are the (1st) ones that Songman placed on the rears (19x9) which in turn will be in the front.

Disclaimer: Rims are over-the-top, I know but so is just about every aftermarket part related to the Fiero is: V8Archie, WCF, D1S, Helds, RCC, and every rim produced over the 16 size hehehe. Hey its Hollywood baby!!!!!!!!!! So please enjoy or talk to Arnold. hehehe.
Madcurl

Oh yeah, nice chop Songman.
------------------

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 01-26-2004).]

Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
thats wide. Do you plan to do phender flares?
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Wow.....

that is, just so,

so, wow.

[This message has been edited by fieroturbo (edited 01-26-2004).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierokid87:

thats wide. Do you plan to do phender flares?

Yes and no. Ideas are posted on other thread relating to front and rear bumper clips. The rims are only 1 1/2" wider comparred to the 20x9.5" The 345 tire width is 13.6 making the outer lip 1 1/4" for each side.
The rear bumper will be pulled out like the front fascia by 2 1/2" The upper or fender flare is part of the whole side clip. The closest example would be Fiero Warehouse's wide body kit, minus the "whole clip." I know, "What is he talking about?" I got the idea from a Fiero book made in 1987 I think. It shows the concept Fiero (not the one @ the 20th) If someone can post it this will help. Anyway, my fiberglass man said let's do it, so its on. The front fascia is right just like the concept . The deck lid was too busy, so I fell back on my "pipe dream concept." I made copies but can't post, sorry.

sc3800ttops

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sc3800ttopsSend a Private Message to sc3800ttopsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Songman:

Maybe someone besides Archie can.... There's a lot of things been done to Model Ts that Henry Ford would have said could never be done... Not a slam to Archie, but just because he doesn't want to do it doesn't mean it can't be done.

I am of the opinion that if it can be done in Photoshop, it can be done in real life if someone wants to take the time to do it...

I have been running the numbers and it seems possible if the windsheild is not leaned back so far but rather shortened like the rear glass is, if that makes sence. Having the glass re-cut should not be an issue, lots of lambo kits use cut down mini-van glass.

[This message has been edited by sc3800ttops (edited 01-26-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Makes perfect sense... I think that is the reason people think T-tops can't be chopped.. You have to think of something besides stock Fiero pieces. Orville uses a complete different windshield in his car. Longer and wider, it gives the car a great look. He even moved where the bottom of the windshield mates to the car...

It can definitely be done, but someone will have to be willing to put the time, effort, and money into it... As I mentioned in another thread earlier, after sitting in Curley's car I know I can't drive a chop top so my T-tops are safe from the choppers! haha

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 01-26-2004).]

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
So can 19X8's fit on the front as well with those 255 tires?????!!!!!!!!?!?!?!

I'm shocked. I guess I can get those Fury Black Ice wheels from ROH now: They have them in 17X7, 17X8, 18X8, 19X8, but I thought untill now that 18 would have been pushing it.

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroturbo:

We didn't put the 19x9 on the front of my 88, but it has been on the front of Curley's 87... so I am sure you would have no problem with a 19x8. I told Curley that we need to put these on one of my other cars sometime for the benefit of the pre-88 owners.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Quote: So can 19X8's fit on the front as well with those 255 tires?????!!!!!!!!?!?!?!

I believe Mobile has proven part of that question. He was roll'n 19's on all 4's with 35 series but I forgot what size? (225's). He later said he was stepping up one size. and our PFF Fiero mascot has 255 on the rears.

The Silver choptop has 19x8 up front on 225/35/19 with no problem. A 225/35/19 diameter is 25.3 and a 255/30/19 is 25.3.....same thing just wider and lighter by 3 IBLS.

the minimal rim limit for 255's is 8" The key here fieroturbo is the offsett 35mm was the original Borbets. you will need possible 2mm more to be sure. I believe the smaller the number, the greater clearance from the shock tower (correct me if I'm wrong, please). Anyway theres always a 245/35/20.
------------------

ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2004 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopDirect Link to This Post
I've thought about chopping my t-top, but if I did I'd only want to go 2 inches for a more subtle appearance, though I’m not sure that would make any difference after reading Archie’s explanation for not wanting to chop t-tops Fiero's.
Cutting the windshield as opposed to leaning it back may also be a way to chopping the top and keeping your t-tops, but…leaning the windshield back is one of the best features of the chop-top.
When I took my notchie down to Archie to have it chopped I took along an original sunroof equipped roof panel, Archie’s shop did install it. The only thing I noticed is the original sunroof has a slight bow to it, so it doesn’t seal completely when locked down. So folks do have that as an option.
BTW, I’m so glad to see 20s on Fiero’s, I understand some folks think they are too big, but it’s just a matter of getting used to them, after more and more people start updating with larger wheels they will start looking normal. The new C6 vette is up to 18/19, trucks are already running 24’s and 26s are coming on strong. Big wheels have passed the fad stage and are now a trend. Though I’d still like to see a 18/20 combo on a Fiero, with its wedge profile (coupe) I think it would look great.
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2004 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
I agree about leaning the windshield back... You need that rake to make a T-top really look good. That's why I really like what Orville did on his car by using the different windshield and making the windshield start farther forward on the car. I really like the big curve on the windshield too instead of it being flat...

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2004 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChopTop:

Though I’d still like to see a 18/20 combo on a Fiero, with its wedge profile (coupe) I think it would look great.

OK

But those ROH wheels I posted above only go up to 19", so how does 17/19 sound? The front wheels don't need to be the same total diameter as the back, cause there's no speedometer gear up front, and having the front lower than the back would increase downforce on the car, thus increasing traction at high speeds, so it's all good

By the way songman, that green topchop is lookin' sweet. The curved front is really unique. Maybe if it stuck out a little more, maybe about 6" or so, it would look even better. Keep up the good work!!!

------------------
Airman Michael C Casaceli
Patrol Squadron Ten, United States Navy
1988 Pontiac Fiero 2.5L, soon to be 2.2L Ecotec Turbo (project starts in MARCH 2004)
1988 Oldsmobile Firenza 2.0L non-turbo (RIP. KIA by a Ford)
19** Chevy S-10....Coming soon

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2004 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post

fieroturbo

1085 posts
Member since Jan 2003
LOL, nice garage by the way. Looks as sturdy as bamboo pushrods
spddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2004 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spddyClick Here to visit spddy's HomePageSend a Private Message to spddyDirect Link to This Post

Yes it can be done, alot more work but doable

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2004 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
I wish I could take credit for that green chop.. That's Orville's baby from start to finish. It looks really great in person... It's got everything from the custom body to coilovers and a 3800SC! Last time I was over there he had it taken apart to paint it. I'll go over and snap some new pictures soon...

By the way, what you are seeing in the front is nothing buy a piece of foam that Orville was using to try to figure out his curve for the front end. He has now made the plug, the mold, and the new nose... It looks great in person!

And also, don't let Orville's little work area fool you.. That is just the outdoor section. He has a big ole metal building just out of sight of the picture! haha When it gets 110 in the summer, any shade is a good thing.

PFF
System Bot
ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2004 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't go smaller than 18s, 17s, are starting to sound old school. If I only had two choices the first being 17/19 or 18/19, I'd do an 18/19 combo. My main reason for wanting too see a two inch combo is seeing how noticeable it is. The discontinued Plymouth Prowler used a two inch combo and it’s very noticeable. However, I also believe they exaggerated this look by going with a larger series rear sidewall.

The problem with wheels/tires is you never know what they are going to look like until you’ve had them on the car for awhile, and wheel stores aren’t going to let you try different wheels/tire combo’s on. You pretty much have to guess right the first try.

A car’s stance is really important to me, it can really make or break a car’s appearance. If money was no object with me, I’d try an 18/20 combo, and then try 20s all the way around to see which I preferred, possible I’d like a 19/20 combo. Then I’d start playing around with different sidewalls. Let’s say I went with an 18 inch tire with a 225/30 series sidewall on the front, and went with a 20 on the rear that had sidewall availability in a 245/20, 245/30, 245/35. I’d want to try them all on to see what look best to me. Or let’s say I decide to go with 20s all around, I still can play around with sidewall height. I could put a 225/20 series on the front and a 245/35 on the rear (if offered).

I better stop now because I’m starting to go whacko, but basically I’m saying picking the perfect wheel can be very difficult. Especially in this crowd where more and more folks are ratcheting up the wow-factor with our cars.

fierogt88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2004 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt88Send a Private Message to fierogt88Direct Link to This Post

By the way, what you are seeing in the front is nothing buy a piece of foam that Orville was using to try to figure out his curve for the front end. He has now made the plug, the mold, and the new nose... It looks great in person!

Where did he get the foam? I've got a project car with some radically different body ideas, but have not been able to find foam pieces big enough....

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2004 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Orville has found all sorts of neat materials that he uses for designing his new panels. If he doesn't find this thread you can write to him and ask him... Or do a search for Orville and read some of the posts he has made in the past.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2004 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChopTop:

I wouldn't go smaller than 18s, 17s, are starting to sound old school. If I only had two choices the first being 17/19 or 18/19, I'd do an 18/19 combo. My main reason for wanting too see a two inch combo is seeing how noticeable it is. The discontinued Plymouth Prowler used a two inch combo and it’s very noticeable. However, I also believe they exaggerated this look by going with a larger series rear sidewall.

The problem with wheels/tires is you never know what they are going to look like until you’ve had them on the car for awhile, and wheel stores aren’t going to let you try different wheels/tire combo’s on. You pretty much have to guess right the first try.
I better stop now because I’m starting to go whacko, but basically I’m saying picking the perfect wheel can be very difficult. Especially in this crowd where more and more folks are ratcheting up the wow-factor with our cars.

I agree, one can go wacko, hehehe I'm already there. Tring to achive the "wow factor" can become a pain. The problem is doubled when there is a body kit like IRM's where the body sticks out from stock where the rear wheel is push in by 2" After seeing 19/20 combos on the Exoctics like Saleen's S7 with 275/25/19F & 354/25/20R & the Mercedes SL500 has 255/30/20F & 305/25/20R one can get a general idea of what to expect.

I'd tried the 20's up front and fond them to be a little off visually. The biggest problems I'd found is wheel manufactures don't see the need for a Fiero to have exotic wheels, however, their wheels are on just about every import in town, go figure! Call Tire Rack and they will try to talk you out from buying them. However, tell them that its a Kit Car......then there ready to deal.

MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2004 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEDirect Link to This Post
fieroturbo, you have a PM!!!

Thanks,

MOBILE

------------------

Member MN Fieros Forever
Self Installed SC3800/getrag. 10 years in Car Audio and Car Electronics Experiance........ GOT 19"s?? RIMS/TIRES FOR SALE!!! ONLY 2,000 Miles

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2004 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Okay I have (3) new pics with the 20x11 on a 1987GT. Songman demonstrated that the rims cleared on stock 88. I'm sending Chester some pics now, he may post them Sunday?

Tire to be used are 305/25/20. The results were similar to that of 88 however, it seems to be more clearence from the top of the rim's lip to the shock tower. The backside ended with the dame results....just about (2) fingers in clearance.

Anyway a 305/25/20 diameter is 26.2 comparred to a 245/35/19 is 26.0 which was used on the 87 (3) years ago and it cleared with no problems. The 305 tire tread width is 12.3 and the 20x11 is 12" resulting in .3mm/2 over-hang = .15 way smaller than (2) fingers width.

As you can see the Pisa kits flairs outward past the front of the rim. The back and top side of wheel well will extend outward by 2.5"

Yeah I know.....the pics are not clear. Its a camera phone,hehehe.

Madcurl........get too the chopper!

------------------

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-08-2004).]

chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2004 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Here you go...

Rob D.

------------------

The Dirty Rat
Chopped, dropped and just plain NASTY!
383 Stroker MPFI with N2O
2" Drop
3" Chop
11" Brakes
Currently awaiting Goodyear rubber for the 19" Motegi Roja's
RCC Coilover Suspension
Updated Jan 21 '04 www.dirtyratracing.org

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2004 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering how they were going to compare to the 88s. It's good to know that you can put huge wheels on your car without all the added expense of lots of suspension upgrades if that is the way you want to go...
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2004 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

I was wondering how they were going to compare to the 88s. It's good to know that you can put huge wheels on your car without all the added expense of lots of suspension upgrades if that is the way you want to go...

Yes, I agree. I'm using my old Suspenion Technique rear springs for 1.25" drop.

White88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White88GTSend a Private Message to White88GTDirect Link to This Post
I think my 18s are too small, and I want to go with a 19x9.5 axis supermesh in the back and either 19x8 or 19x8.5s in front, I would love to go for 20s but I don't think the supermesh comes that big
Here are my 18's now:

Thanks--Nathan

------------------

Please E-mail me at Wicked88GT@yahoo.com

PFF
System Bot
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroturbo:

I'm shocked. I guess I can get those Fury Black Ice wheels from ROH now: They have them in 17X7, 17X8, 18X8, 19X8, but I thought untill now that 18 would have been pushing it.

That is the wheels I almost bought for my car. In hyperchrome finish. With ROH being an Australian wheel I am interested to see how much they cost in the USA.

------------------

From: Between The ATL and Augusta in a land of deer and cows

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 007Send a Private Message to 007Direct Link to This Post
From This

To THIS!!!!
I don't drool often but WOW!

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm........I was in Wheel King tire shop in Fresno CA and they have new size tire made by Nitto. It's a 225/35/20. The owner told me thier for the import crowd. By the end of the year there might be more sizes to come.

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock