Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  '01 Pontiac GT Interior Swap!!!! (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
'01 Pontiac GT Interior Swap!!!! by 2Fast_Fiero
Started on: 07-23-2003 06:59 PM
Replies: 64
Last post by: mrfixit58 on 07-28-2003 06:35 PM
Gary W

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2003 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gary WSend a Private Message to Gary WDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTFiero1:

man Gary, that looks good! Do you have any farther away pictures so we can get a view of how it ties together with the car appearnce wise?

I have these:

IP: Logged
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2003 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Gary,

Terrific job. It gives the car a different personallity, doesn't it?

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up
[URL=https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html]
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/031255.html
*** UPDATED 1/24/03 ***

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2003 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
If you have any more detailed pictures you'd like to share, feel free to zip them up and send them to me... songman@bak.rr.com

Great work!

2Fast_Fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2003 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2Fast_FieroClick Here to visit 2Fast_Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2Fast_FieroDirect Link to This Post
You didn't have as much modifications as some of the Firebird Interior's I've seen done. But thanks man. Its allways good to have people who can help you!
2Fast_Fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2003 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2Fast_FieroClick Here to visit 2Fast_Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2Fast_FieroDirect Link to This Post

2Fast_Fiero

1106 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by Gary W:
I had the GA door panels. With the map pockets on the bottom, they stuck way to far into the car. They hit the seats and blocked the parking brake handle. Take a look down along the side of the seat thru the window with the door closed. There's about an inch clearance, and the Fiero door panels are just about flat.

I don't use the E-Brake anyways....But if I can get to use the Door panels, and dash and ever need to engage the parking brake, I'll engage it and just push the handle down while the door is open. I realy want to use the Door Panels. I'm gonna try to sneek away with the Steering Column without this guy knowing. Its just a junk yard and he's gonna have me pull my mom's truck up to the car and pull the parts off myself (I requested it) so hopefully I can pull the steering column off realy quick and sneek it into the back of my truck, hide it under the dash

jubjub2m6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2003 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jubjub2m6Click Here to visit jubjub2m6's HomePageSend a Private Message to jubjub2m6Direct Link to This Post
wow!! very impressive i love the way it looks in there way nice, now if i only had the skills to do something really cool like that... i esp like how it doesnt get in the way of shifter like the firebird dash does..

------------------

New Temporary signature til I design a new one.
zr-2 hoodscoop, 6"wingstands, ARchie rocker scoops, CRX INtake..MORE

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2003 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
As Roy and I always say, a good interior swap is as complicated as an engine swap. This was an excellent job! Obviously a lot of work but worth it in the end.

The updated interior gives the car a whole new look and feel, makes it feel like a new car.

Regarding the e-brake, I have a 5 speed so I use mine all the time. The Firebird door panel interferes a little with the handle, but I can still get my hand down there and activiate it without opening the door first.

Jonathan

------------------
If you find my advice useful, then please give me a positive rating, thanks...

Firebird Interior Installation Thread

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 07-26-2003).]

Gary W

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2003 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gary WSend a Private Message to Gary WDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to everybody for the compliments. It was a lot of work, but it was all worth it when I turned the key the first time. I got it finished and test drove it the night before driving it to Carlisle, where apparently only about 3 people noticed it.

It does change the whole character of the car for me.

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2003 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Hey Gary,

I know what you mean. It's surprising how many people walked right by mine at Daytona even though I vertually stood in one spot for about three hours disscussing it with people who did notice.

Kind of the same thing at the 20th. I was surprised when they called my name for the "Best Custom Interior" because, while a lot of people stopped by, it seemed like it drew less attention than Coolblue's 1800 mile GT who was parked right next to me. Even with the number of pictures that people took of the interior, I've yet to see any hit the forum.

I think that most people are just used to looking at the outsides for ideas on their next mod. And, that most people would not tackle the interior project as we did. Most interior mods seem to designed around sound systems, custom colors and Mr Mike's seats.

Still, our custom interiors make our cars very unique and I would go back for anything.

Roy

Thanks to everybody for the compliments. It was a lot of work, but it was all worth it when I turned the key the first time. I got it finished and test drove it the night before driving it to Carlisle, where apparently only about 3 people noticed it.

It does change the whole character of the car for me.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2003 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfixit58:

I think that most people are just used to looking at the outsides for ideas on their next mod. And, that most people would not tackle the interior project as we did. ...
Roy

I feel that if cars were people then the interiors would be like the personality, nice if you have a good one but it's not going to get a lot of attention.

However the body of the car is like..well the body, if you have a good one then that's the first thing everybody notices and appreciates.

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2003 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Good analogy.
PFF
System Bot
Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2003 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
Gary...

Great Job!!

------------------
Said Hulki, "You had to look at the Fiero not as
a car, but as a process."

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com

Gary W

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2003 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gary WSend a Private Message to Gary WDirect Link to This Post

Hey Gary,

I know what you mean. It's surprising how many people walked right by mine at Daytona even though I vertually stood in one spot for about three hours disscussing it with people who did notice.

Kind of the same thing at the 20th. I was surprised when they called my name for the "Best Custom Interior" because, while a lot of people stopped by, it seemed like it drew less attention than Coolblue's 1800 mile GT who was parked right next to me. Even with the number of pictures that people took of the interior, I've yet to see any hit the forum.

I think that most people are just used to looking at the outsides for ideas on their next mod. And, that most people would not tackle the interior project as we did. Most interior mods seem to designed around sound systems, custom colors and Mr Mike's seats.

Still, our custom interiors make our cars very unique and I would go back for anything.

Roy

I'll have to admit that I walked away from the car at Carlisle and didn't spend much time with it. I did go back and show some people when they tracked me down. Because of the interior swap and some other more basic mods: lowered, wheels & tires, etc. they put me in the Wild Custom Fastback class with 4 other cars. My paint is original - and bad. Being totally outclassed, I went to see everybody else's rides.

I know what you mean about the body mods attracting more attention. To me, the lines of the Fiero are timeless as designed. I don't feel the need to change much.

wpgfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2003 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wpgfieroSend a Private Message to wpgfieroDirect Link to This Post

I have a couple pics of it, but they're not digi and I haven't scanned my pics yet. I didn't notice the interior at first at the 20th mainly I think because the windows were rolled up. But it did look awesome once I noticed

Anyone ever think of trying a Tiburon interior swap? I'll try to find pics.

wpgfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2003 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wpgfieroSend a Private Message to wpgfieroDirect Link to This Post

wpgfiero

1099 posts
Member since Oct 2002
here's some 2002/2003 Tiburon interior pics

And here's a pic of the 97-01 Tiburon interior.

Personally I like the 97-01 better, anyone inspired?

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2003 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by wpgfiero:
Anyone ever think of trying a Tiburon interior swap? I'll try to find pics.

Dollars to donuts the Tiburon interior is too narrow. The Fiero is pretty wide for a small car.

Roy

Gary W

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2003 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gary WSend a Private Message to Gary WDirect Link to This Post

Dollars to donuts the Tiburon interior is too narrow. The Fiero is pretty wide for a small car.

Roy

I had trouble finding anything wide enough. You need at least 54" between the pillars. Think about how big a Firebird is. Also, dealing with non-GM electronics would most likely be a total nightmare unless you are a real electronic whiz and can build your own interface. At least most GM gauges take the same inputs.

I had my eye on a Mitsu 3000GT dash in the junkyard, but I decided to stay all GM.

2Fast_Fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-27-2003 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2Fast_FieroClick Here to visit 2Fast_Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2Fast_FieroDirect Link to This Post

Roy

Ain't that a fact, I didn't realy notice how wide the Fiero was until last night when I took my spoiler off.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2003 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

... Also, dealing with non-GM electronics would most likely be a total nightmare unless you are a real electronic whiz and can build your own interface. At least most GM gauges take the same inputs...

True, the firebird dash is very nearly plug-n-play compared to some of the swaps you guys are talking about. If you have the brains to pull it off that's great, but I wanted an all Pontiac look inside my Fiero.

naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2003 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

You just haven't given me time to go and resize all my 20th pics yet Car looked awesome at the show, congrats on doing such a great job with the swap!

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com AIM: Naskie182010

[This message has been edited by naskie18 (edited 07-28-2003).]

2Fast_Fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-28-2003 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2Fast_FieroClick Here to visit 2Fast_Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2Fast_FieroDirect Link to This Post
MrFixIt, if only you didn't live on the other side of the continent, I'd pay you to do my interior just like you did yours! lol

Damnit, I should have had the funds by now for the Interior but I still haven't goten my vacation check. Its been over 3 months since they fired me and they haven't sent me my check yet.

PFF
System Bot
2Fast_Fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-28-2003 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2Fast_FieroClick Here to visit 2Fast_Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2Fast_FieroDirect Link to This Post
Hmm....I wonder about that center console...
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2003 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Naskie18 - Thanks for the nice pictures. I hope I had a chance to meet you at the show.

Originally posted by 2Fast_Fiero:

MrFixIt, if only you didn't live on the other side of the continent, I'd pay you to do my interior just like you did yours! ...

That's kinda what V8Archie said. I told him "no way". Actually, he wanted me to develop a kit. I told him, "the kit is in the junk yard". Most of the parts are just off the shelf GM parts so how could I make a kit? I did make the dash filler (the piece between the dash and the windshield), the computer/tunnel cover (the blue thing), and the arm rest end caps. But, those are small potatos compaired to the work that's needed to make the dash and console fit and all the rewiring needed to make everything else work.

I've been approached by several people asking me how much would I charge to build them an interior like mine. Usually I just say: "Probably more than your willing to pay" .

Roy

[This message has been edited by mrfixit58 (edited 07-28-2003).]

jhogans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2003 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jhogansSend a Private Message to jhogansDirect Link to This Post
mrfixit58,

Have you thought about creating a wiring harness or doing another interior and taping it and sell the video. Just a thought.

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2003 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jhogans:

mrfixit58,

Have you thought about creating a wiring harness or doing another interior and taping it and sell the video. Just a thought.

Actually, that would be very difficult. Mainly because the wiring for the gauge clusters differ from year to year. I've already posted most of the wiring diagrams: Enironmental, headlight, door locks, and windows (thanks to jscott1). From there all one really needs is the wiring diagram for the donor cluster.

It's not to complicated, just time consuming.

Roy

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock