Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  th425 reversed rotation design - how i do it.....

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

th425 reversed rotation design - how i do it..... by cardealer
Started on: 07-14-2003 10:59 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: cardealer on 07-16-2003 11:23 PM
cardealer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2003 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cardealerSend a Private Message to cardealerDirect Link to This Post
a few have been really interested in how i am making the th425 work in a reversed rotation set-up work. so here it is :

i have made the "chain drive" into a "gear drive". by adding the 2 gears it makes the tranny run backwards. by running two different size gears, it changes the gear ratio for the better. depending on which gears i use i can get around 3.50 for a final drive. i still have a little more work to do on it, but that pretty much how it works.
no, i am not selling this yet. there will have to be some deals made with some vendors and machine shops to make it affordable. as well as some major testing. i will not sell this until it has been proven to work, so that may be a while. it will be a direct bolt on and can be done in less than 1 hour.
more to come later.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post
Very nice work.

------------------

hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
There is no problem with running the transmission backwards(pump,etc.)?
Mac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MacClick Here to visit Mac's HomePageSend a Private Message to MacDirect Link to This Post

What a good idea.. Keep us updated..

Cheers,

------------------

Andrew MacPherson
86 2M6 - Turbo what?
82 Z28 - www.ttz28.com
96 CRAPalier - Beater

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by hugh:

I think the tranny still runs the same direction but the output is reversed.

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up
[URL=https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html]
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/031255.html
*** UPDATED 1/24/03 ***

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

cardealer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cardealerSend a Private Message to cardealerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hugh:

since the pump still runs off the engine, it still pumps the same direction. the other gear (drive) gear is what runs backwards. all the gears and bands, ect, are all bidirectional, so they can go either direction with out any problems. the only problem could be is, if you ran some really different size gears (1 real big-1 real small) the could be some pressure & heating issues, but it would have to be really extreme. the only real issue is that the gears are noisy. kinda like gear drives on a sbc, but it sounds kinda cool. i am working on trying to get the noise down a little.
more later!!

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
only way to cut down gear noise is by using a different tooth shape like a nice double hearingbone ( for a V ) or hypoid types of gearsets that maintain a constant mesh - is like the normal drive gears in a manual transmission vs the reverse gear - reverse is a straight tooth and noisy - the rest are quiet..
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
dam dude!
Just HOW LONG will this take you? it has been several months now hasn't it?

Opps I mean bump!!!

opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2003 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
Bump:::::

BTW Cardealer, that's an ingeneous method you came up with, very good.

While your working out your gear selections, how about a tidbit reguarding the above photo?

It looks like you fabricated a mounting plate that bolts up to the existing trans face, which then holds the two roller gears in place.

How about it?

Have you had a chance to look into this application working with the thm325 yet?

cardealer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2003 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cardealerSend a Private Message to cardealerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by opm2000:

Bump:::::

BTW Cardealer, that's an ingeneous method you came up with, very good.

While your working out your gear selections, how about a tidbit reguarding the above photo?

It looks like you fabricated a mounting plate that bolts up to the existing trans face, which then holds the two roller gears in place.

How about it?

Have you had a chance to look into this application working with the thm325 yet?

just as you described, mounting plate to 4 pre-existing holes in the trans. as of now there is no gear(s) that can be combined to get any real better gear ratio. i am working out a deal with a vendor for a 3.70 final drive, should be happening in the next couple of weeks. but it has nothing to do with the reversed rotation gear set. i havnt had time to research the th325 yet, but i really wouldnt feel comfortable about doing anything with that trans as it is week already.
thanks for the complement, its nice to hear things like that. it makes me feel like not quite as big as idiot as i really am!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock