Started on: 09-21-2003 09:10 AM
Replies: 16
Last post by: Tryxalon on 09-22-2003 10:10 PM
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2003 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
These pics were taken from U.S. Doc. TD 8.2: F 92/11 "Frontal Crash Responses Car-to-FRB Impact Test of a 1984 Pontiac Fiero to a Fixed Load Measuring Barrier at 29.8 MPH"
Report No. DOT HS 806 735

The document, which I requested throgh the college library, is on loan to me from the University of Arkansas Ottenheimer Library. They have another, TD 8.2: F 92/10, which I believe is the same but at 29.7 MPH

The car in the test is VIN 1G2AM37R4EP303459, a grey 4 cylinder 4 speed with 164 miles on the odo, with power brakes, tinted glass, radio, clock, tilt steering, and AC. Vehicle was manufactured 8/84, recieved 10/3/84. The vehicle was tested October 18, 1984 at
Vehicle Research and Test Center
St. Rt. 33, Logan County
East Liberty, Ohio 43319

pics uploaded to and hosted by Capt Fiero (Thanks Capt!)

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 09-21-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2003 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2003 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

RWDPLZ

15013 posts
Member since May 2002

Gordo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2003 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post
This is a wonderful example why you should always wear your seatbelts! (what a couple of dummys) That passenger did a pretty good job re-sculpting the dash & they both hit the windshield. Even though the floor pan crumpled a bit, the chassis looked like it absorbed a whole lot of impact. The view from below shows the front folded like an accordian. Did they post the official results?

Thanks for posting, a "+" from me.

------------------

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2003 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
Boomtastic

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2003 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoomtasticClick Here to visit Boomtastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoomtasticDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LoW_KeY:

more pics

Yeah, where?? TEASE!!

RWDPLZ - Thanks for the pics. I've been trying to get any and all video from the NHTSA for years now but they haven't been the most generous people to work with.

------------------

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post09-21-2003 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The seat belt retainers look like they're still good, I wonder where that car's at now?

JazzMan

hvneye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2003 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hvneyeSend a Private Message to hvneyeDirect Link to This Post
nice pictures
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2003 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Hmm pics are not loading here from my server.

------------------
85GT 2.9 4spd MSD Everything, Big Cam, No Cat and Nitrous. Nawzz babeee!!!!
http://www.captfiero.com

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2003 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000
There thats better. I will rotate the one around and get it turned up the right way as well.
Roylmohr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2003 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RoylmohrSend a Private Message to RoylmohrDirect Link to This Post
Ouch that much damage from a 30 mph crash that sucks. Thats alot of damage to me. What was the final rating of the car?
PFF
System Bot
IROC

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2003 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IROCSend a Private Message to IROCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Roylmohr:

Ouch that much damage from a 30 mph crash that sucks. Thats alot of damage to me. What was the final rating of the car?

All Fiero's recieved a 5* front and side impact rating! The reason is because the car takes the impact and not your body. There is a high chance of you walking away from a crash in a fiero.

------------------
1986 Pontiac Fiero 2.8
pocket ported, gasket matched complete intake. Still has no nut.
3.4l turbocharged project in process!

http://www.outwar.com/page.php?x=1033721

So what if I lost everything, would you want me if I was a failure?

KRMFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2003 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRMFieroSend a Private Message to KRMFieroDirect Link to This Post
haha I better not crash, no way thats fixable (cheaply)
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IROC:

All Fiero's recieved a 5* front and side impact rating! The reason is because the car takes the impact and not your body. There is a high chance of you walking away from a crash in a fiero.

I agree. I want the car to take all of the damage and not me.

Fortunecity. No cookies, no see.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 09-22-2003).]

swanthog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for swanthogSend a Private Message to swanthogDirect Link to This Post
Something strange I noticed is that the instrument panel appears to be raised before the test. After the test, the entire instrument panel had moved way up. What's that all about? Did the dummy's legs push into it causing it to move in an upward direction?

------------------

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
someone should run a car fax on the vin
Tryxalon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TryxalonClick Here to visit Tryxalon's HomePageSend a Private Message to TryxalonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Roylmohr:

That's not a lot of damage! Check out "recycle yards" and look at the amount of damage that the vehicles take. Also notice that most actual accidents are not "front on" like the government requires (allows the entire frame to distribute the energy) but are "offset" with only a corner of the car being hit. Thats the reason the Insurance Institute uses the 'offset crash'. Less energy absorption cause the hit is 'off center'.

That shows you why some vehicles have lower insurance rates!!

But yes, I agree I want the car to take the hit and that is why I love my Fiero. Definately a superior design!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock