Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  A History of Monza76's car, OK so I am not serious! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
A History of Monza76's car, OK so I am not serious! by Monza76
Started on: 07-13-2003 03:05 PM
Replies: 152
Last post by: Monza76 on 09-24-2003 02:12 PM
Monza76

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2003 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
I just re-edited this entire thread, I removed all of the unnecessary pictures which I had been using and so it is now a little friendlier to slower internet connections. It is also less repetitive, I hope I have been of some help to any of you who thought customizing a Fiero required lots of money. (Ira July 23, 2003)

Hey folks, I see people like Skitime, Kameo Kid, California Kid, Fiero5, Tabs31, etc. posting histories of their highly modified Fieros, so I said, why not a story about a not so modified Fiero? Now for those of you who are overly critical please don't read any farther.

It all started in a barnyard:

with a 1984 econo coupe that had been sitting there for over 6 years, even the recalls had not been done,

After repairing the starter, clutch, and brakes, a set of trim rings and some black paint made the 13" steel wheels presentable, but this was definitely temporary.

Interior:
The steering wheel was soon replaced with a Grant wheel made by RAID in Italy back in 1976, I originally bought it to go in my Monza (76 of course). I later sewed the brown leather to match a 1980 VW Rabbit interior. Turns out the adapter kit for GM didn't change so it bolted right in.

By now I had discovered the mailing lists and had found some Dodge 14" wheels (cut down the original Fiero hub caps to make the centre caps) and a set of Paul Mackibben fender crests:

But the 1984 had electrical problems which were a little scary (kept frying light switches) I attempted to fix them:

but it still made me nervous. (this setup was neat though, when you turn on the headlamps with the switch they rise, but when you turn them off they stay up until you push the button to ,lower them ) That is when I found the 1985, it looked good, it ran and it had no electrical issues, just lots of suspension rust. I transplanted the rear subframe from a 1984, and then the front subframe from my 1984. I mounted most of the 1984's interior, including the shorter shift lever, painted the panels red, mounted a set of Alpina pedals my 11 year old gave me for Christmas, and a set of seat covers from my oldest boy to cover the typical hole in the seat:

Note that the horn button is the original Fiero wheel centre, all I had to do was bend the clips a little and it snapped right on (and it works)
Then it was time for the exterior.

------------------
The Iron Duke Resource Site

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 07-13-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 07-23-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2003 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
By now I had gotten a set of Grand Am 14" alloy wheels, but I had just played around with paint on the 1984, the clearance was too tight at the rear. Then I met a Fiero owner who was willing to trade two Fiero wheels for two GA wheels, here is the result of the different offsets (Fiero 35mm, GA 47mm):

Actually has some impact on kickback at the front and it gives the illusion of wider rear wheels.

Next a friend of mine said he had found a really good Dodge Shadow wing for only $40:

Here it is painted and mounted.

Next came the evolution of the underhood "look", from painting the air cleaner:

Too also painting the valve cover:

Too making an open cover from a spare intake:

Too cutting down the rest of the extra intake to match:

The Holley scoop I bought from IRM for the 1984 is now an engine ventilation scoop. I have since removed the wire looms because the aftermarket plug wires were too short to follow the factory routing.

(I still have the original intake, the one I painted red and silver, so I can revert back to stock specs quickly)

End of part 2.
Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 07-15-2003).]

ClearDark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2003 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClearDarkSend a Private Message to ClearDarkDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good man. I appreciate your work, espically your Iron Duke resource site. Im glad its the story of a original Fiero, and it's not like "dropped a 3.8SC or V8 in, and added an intercooler, added hood scoops, etc etc"

Great story, keep it coming

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2003 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
My next project involves a Warber style hood vent, with a twist. I didn't like the way the wood block covered much of the opening and I didn't trust the fiberglass not to crack if I left it out, so.... I used an aluminum channel from an old shower door to hold it open. I am also looking at some 15" X 6" wheels , but they are not getting favourable reviews:

Not much of a selection in the scrapyards of Gander.
Scratch that, I now have a set of 86/87 GT wheels, 15"X 7" courtesy of Fiero5 and Bob Parker Any one in Newfoundland have a Fiero or a J-car and want a nice set of 15" wheels, I can point you in the right direction.

So far my total expenditure for both cars has been less than $3000 including all of the repair work

Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 08-05-2003).]

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2003 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post

Monza76

1298 posts
Member since Jul 2002
And for the final installment:

Here are the club stickers some of you have sent me:

Still room for more...hint...hint

BTW here is a recent picture:

You can see the old 84 in all of its dismantled glory.

If you have read this far, I am open for questions or comments. As for all of you other guys, I don't offer much competition....yet

Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 07-15-2003).]

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2003 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post

Monza76

1298 posts
Member since Jul 2002
Thanks ClearDark, I have toyed with the idea of an engine swap but I have always had more fun on twisty roads then at stop lights. Maybe someday I will do the Caddy swap, but it isn't all that likely on my budget. I kind of like the sound of the IronDuke, it grows on you, and that open intake sounds and feels like better throttle response (if not more power).

Ira

Fiero5

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2003 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
WOW! This thread is a blast.
Love reading how your Fieros came to be Ira

BTW: You should be getting 4 special packages real soon
That's all I'm sayin' on that

Steve

------------------

Now over 400 pics of our 18 Fieros:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/fiero5

ZELINSKI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2003 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZELINSKISend a Private Message to ZELINSKIDirect Link to This Post
great thread, i love seeing these cars kept alive and having love(aka. money)put into them. keep up the good work?
StuGood

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2003 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StuGoodSend a Private Message to StuGoodDirect Link to This Post
Cool story. I admire your resourcefulness. Especially like the "Warber style" hood vent project - it is a work in progress, not yet installed, I assume? When it is, I am sure you will be "showered" with praise ! And the Shadow spoiler is a natural - looks good on any notchback Fiero, IMHO.

Nice to see someone working under a budget, using clever ideas to stretch their dollars, and displaying some very good results !

------------------

rynelson85

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2003 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rynelson85Send a Private Message to rynelson85Direct Link to This Post
Awesome job! I suppose eventually I'll have to make a thread once I get some more stuff done.
-Ryan

------------------

88 Formula getting some custom work done.

AOL - i am RATDOG

http://members.cox.net/rynelson85/
http://members.cox.net/kafc/

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2003 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Hey, even my tires are budget, the winter tires (still mounted on the Dodge steel wheels) cost me $100 for the set, they spent one winter on a mini-van. The summer tires, Michelin MX4s cost me $40 for the set at a flea market. They were the most evenly worn tires I had ever seen, apparently they were rotated often. There is still a legal amount of tread and they are quite grippy. And I now have a $0.50 cup holder from a yard sale that I have installed on the passenger side of the centre console. I'd spend money if I had it but as it stands family obligations come first so I have to be a little more "creative".

Thanks for the positive comments.

Ira

PFF
System Bot
Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2003 05:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Just a couple of small items,

I have the exhaust tips painted black, sort of my reaction to all of the really big shiny exhausts I see all the time.

I have taken the cigar lighter adapter for a portable CD player and wired it so that I can mount it permanently (out of sight). I will then velcro the CD player to the passenger side of the centre hump and use a cassette adapter to play through the original stereo.

Following my cheap theme, these are items I already had.
Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 07-14-2003).]

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2003 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
You get a big "+" from me just because of how you're doing everything you can with what you got and not apologizing for it. Keep it up.

John Stricker

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2003 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
John, The only thing I must apologize for is this shameless bump to my own post. (couldn't resist lucky number 13) I know that there are many other owners like myself, who have very little money to spend on their cars, that is why I have been trying so hard to find low cost solutions to issues from basic repair to modifying and personalizing my car. I don't like cars that are "overdone" so I am trying to keep it as low key as possible while making it easily recognized as non-stock.

Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 07-14-2003).]

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2003 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
I honestly like it Ira. I will try to put my se in the shape that you have attained. Those switches actually looked cooler. Just testing my sig out here too, courtesy of you. Thanks a bunch

Kruz

------------------

These are the Kruz'n Machines:
'84 SE 2m4 (PROJECT CAR that runs perfect)
'87 GT V6
'83 Mint Dodge Ram 150 Royal

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2003 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
If I could have rigged some sort of safety breaker, like the stock switch has, I would install it in my 85, it worked really nice.

Ira
BTW, Like the signature file but you can make my name a lot smaller.

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post07-14-2003 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
I kinda like the wheels you have posted. The smooth solid centers remind me somewhat of the real Indy wheels, or perhaps the Centerlines. If I were to use them on mine, I'd paint the centers black and polish the rims and fake screw heads. That would look very neat, in my opinion.

JazzMam

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2003 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
JazzMan, I am hanging on in hopes of coming up with a set of 15" GT wheels (done), but I am still keeping an eye on these just in case someone nearby is looking for something like this. They are on a Daytona in a local body shop's back lot, not likely to be noticed by anyone else, so I may get them and either polish them or try your suggestion. I think they look a lot better on the car then they do in that picture. Check out these pictures (very low quality but they do show them on a red Fiero): http://www.k12.nf.ca/gc/Staff/Teachers/Crummey/fiero/ChrysWhls1.jpg http://www.k12.nf.ca/gc/Staff/Teachers/Crummey/fiero/84CoupeChrysWheelsGTNose.jpg

Ira

Phil86SE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2003 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Phil86SESend a Private Message to Phil86SEDirect Link to This Post
Hey Monza, great job thus far. I must say i have delegated with the idea of modifying my fiero alot or just leaving it basically stock. And although i would always love the extra power and head cranking this thread is helping me realize that these little cars are already cool as is, and even the little mods can make a huge difference.

great job!
keep it coming...

-Phil

------------------

86 SE V6 under constuction
Rate me if i am of assitance please, thank you...

MrPBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2003 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrPBodyClick Here to visit MrPBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to MrPBodyDirect Link to This Post
Good work, Ira!

Let's hear it for "creative adaptation"!

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
Just getting the sig for your approval and a bump as well. Thanks

Kruz

------------------

These are the Kruz'n Machines:
'84 SE 2m4 (PROJECT CAR that runs perfect)
'87 GT V6
'83 Mint Dodge Ram 150 Royal

PFF
System Bot
KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
Ira, can I see some more pics of your painted black exhaust tips?
Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Kruz
Here are the Painted exhaust tips, my digital camera does not have a macro mode so the quality may not be very good.

Ira

BTW I like the sig pic now

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 07-23-2003).]

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post

Monza76

1298 posts
Member since Jul 2002
Made a change to my signature file, didn't think anyone would mind me testing it in my own tread

Ira

------------------
Sig design by MinnGreenGT

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post

Monza76

1298 posts
Member since Jul 2002
Signature test 2

------------------

Sig design by MinnGreenGT

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
i like it. reminds me of my '84 "cheap thrill" side project. did you go through the old thread with the compatible wheel list? that way you're surer of any wheel deal you might come across working for you.
Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Philphine, no I haven't seen that thread, where should I search and what should I search for? My plan is simple, I want a car which is mechanically sound, is fun to drive, and is interesting enough to get some attention at a "show and shine". It is also an individual statement.

Ira

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post
Bravo! for your hard work and dedication you get a +.

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
I don't think Ira is going to have to worry or waite too much longer on getting the actual rims he "really" wants

Steve

------------------

Now over 400 pics of our 18 Fieros:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/fiero5

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Ira- Great writeup, it's fun to see the "history" of some of the cars round here (even if they aren't all to the extent of Skitime's car ). One of these days I'll get out to my parent's place and dig through some old photos and find some "original" pics of my GT!

BTW: Thanks also for the by-line in your sig

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Steve,
You got me a set of GT wheels??!!

Ira

PFF
System Bot
Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post

Monza76

1298 posts
Member since Jul 2002
MinnGreenGT, someone approached me to use my old sig, the drawing, with some changes. I said fine but give credit for the original drawing, then I realized that your name was not on mine so I fixed it. Above all else I want to give credit where it is due, as a result:
-I refer to the hood vent as a Warber style because I used Archie's measurements to make the incision.
-I think it was Batboy's car that got me interested in the Dodge spoiler.
-I was encouraged to try the wheel combination by Nelson Abbott, who may be on this forum but I haven't run into him.
-The interior colour was my idea but I was inspired by examples shown by other members.

Those are all of the credits I have at the moment but I will post more if I think of them.

Ira

newfie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfieSend a Private Message to newfieDirect Link to This Post
I like the barn picture, reminds me of home!
batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
...and I got the idea of using the rear Dodge spoiler from a couple others on the forum too...
KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
Ira did you sand anything off when you painted your tips??? I was thinking about taking that rust converter and putting it on my tips for my 84. Since it turns into black sandable primer. After that I'd use black on that.

Kruz

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
My tips were done on a whim, your plan sounds much better, let me know how they turn out. BTW a black engine enamel will probably stand up to the heat best.

Ira

edhering

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageSend a Private Message to edheringDirect Link to This Post
I think it's great to hear about ANYONE's project--esp. with pics--regardless of what they're doing...

+ for you.

Ed

SLAMMED87GT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2003 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SLAMMED87GTSend a Private Message to SLAMMED87GTDirect Link to This Post
Oh man Ira! I remember the days of fiero-list.org and you posting under your name. I remember getting like 80 emails a day and deleting most of them as well!

I quit doing that like 2 years ago!

Nice car though, and you have come quite some way!

------------------
'87GT 5" Drop on 17's, Can you say "Bagged"? -on air- Custom-MUCH!
'95 Eclipse GSX, 5spd, Black, T-25, Intake, Exhaust, MBC, '99 front end

fieros only

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2003 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
SLAMMED87GT yeah I remember those days, I left the list about the same time about 2 years ago, it is so much better to just browse topics now and join in if you want.

The car is the result of a lot of little things over the past few years, nothing major because of budget constraints. My other big drawback is the lack of a garage.

Ira

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2003 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
A garage? Who needs a garage?

Steve

[This message has been edited by Fiero5 (edited 07-16-2003).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay