Started on: 07-24-2003 01:43 AM
Replies: 15
Last post by: Kento on 07-31-2003 08:05 PM
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
I was just thinking about how rare the Turbo'd 4cyl. Fiero is.

I know that I have a broken one, if I'm not mistaken Steven Vincent has one, and then I think Dennis Lagrua...

Is this it? Has anyone ever seen or heard of any others?

Just curious!

------------------

Chris_Oslo_Nelson@hotmail.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Here is one. Its a 1984 T-top IRM/Hi-Tech turbo 2.5L/4.10 4 speed. Its suppose to be 1 of 10 and the only one with t-tops. Used to be mine but I sold it to a good guy, Jim, in Williamsburg Va. I work on it from time to time.
These are the original pics from the day I bought it back in 98. Its slowly being restored. Many have seen it while it was at The Fiero Factory.

Next time I see Jim I'll try to get some recent pics.

Steven

stevenrossi

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
An interesting swap that I just recently heard about is the 2.0L Turbo engine from the 1988-1990 Sunbird. With modified Turbo and work done to the engine, it can produce over 245Ft/Lbs of torque all throughout the powerband...I want to get one of those!

Steven Rossi

------------------

Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
So, so far on the list there's a possibility of 11 on the list...
Xantavar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XantavarSend a Private Message to XantavarDirect Link to This Post
I heard that the 2.0L sunbird engines were junk.

Correct me if I am wrong, of course, but didn't they blow head gaskets all the time?

If I am intruding, sorry, this is just interesting!!

PM me if you dont want to post it here.

StansGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StansGTSend a Private Message to StansGTDirect Link to This Post
I do beleive you may be sort of wrong there. However it doesnt matter since the sunbird motors were crap anyhow. There top ends were strong enough for the the boost, however if you ever dealt with one youd realize the bottom end is the fault with the sunbird motors.. Plus for a turbo 4cyl, they had a bad power band. The head gasket issue you may be speaking off occurs to the NA 2.0l Gm 4cly and the of course the infamous Quad four. When GM turboed the NA sunbird motor they rengineered the head and gasket spacifically for that application "suprising for GM". I do believe that the "GM" (vauxhal) turbo 2L 4cyl did work OK for its application other than main bearing exploding and oil burning, and all the other issues it had other than head gaskets..
CreepeC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CreepeCSend a Private Message to CreepeCDirect Link to This Post
My dad used to have one. I dont really know anything about it except that it was white. He bought it as a parts car because it was blown. He took a couple of parts out of it that he wanted and sold it again. He took the whole engine out of it and kept what he wanted and threw what he didnt want, including throwing the turbo. He said it wasnt a true fiero turbo ?! He realized soon after that it was a good usable turbo. I still bug him about that...

Nic

[This message has been edited by CreepeC (edited 07-24-2003).]

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure I have (one of?) the only 88 GT Turbo 4cyl. It isn't finished yet, but the final component -- valve springs-- should arrive within the hour, so I can get to work finishing this thing up!! I'm hoping to be the first 4cyl Fiero to make it into the 12's! The beauty is, the loss of over 60lbs on the back end will make autocrossing much more fun also. I ended up going with a stand alone ECU (Electromotive TEC3) because the duration on my cams is 232* at .050 if I remember correctly, and I plan to be able to run around 22psi at the track out of my T3/TO4E 60 trim. Also, I'm going with 850cc injectors, so the TEC3 seemed like the best way to keep the car civil for everyday driving.
--Bryson

------------------
88 Fiero GT Quad4 Turbo...It has begun
88 VW GTI 16v
90 Olds Calais International H.O.
88 Fiero Formula

Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bryson:

and I plan to be able to run around 22psi at the track

HOW???

[This message has been edited by Oslo (edited 07-24-2003).]

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2003 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
I lowered the compression 8.5:1, this is on the Quad4, not the iron duke

------------------
88 VW GTI 16v
88 Fiero Formula

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2003 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
there is a gold 86 coupe here in town with a turbo diesel VW motor in it does that count?

and rumor has it that down in Sioux City, there is a 2.0 or 2.2 turbo in an 85se thats out of a sunbird ive never seen that one myself

what about the Fieromaster thats doing the 4G63 swap out of a turbo eclipse, how cool is that

------------------
Rich AIM: OneFast 2M8
'86 2m6,'86 2m8 '92 325i,

PFF
System Bot
The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2003 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Yes how cool it is, thanks for the props $Rich$. However i dont know if I exactly count on this topic, unless you consider out of make swaps... with turbos! As for my swap... still trying to hurdle the money issue! Anyone wanna donate like $1,300 and ill be done hehe! Im just waiting for someone to t-bone my Laser RS... That will give me a reason to put a 360hp 4 banger into the Fiero asap! I'm pushin about $4g's under the hood of the Laser now. I need to stop putting money into it, the damn car has enough gizmo's, gauges, and lights as it is!

------------------
"Raced That, Wrecked Better" ~In Memory Of Jesse Cesek~ 1980-2000

[This message has been edited by The Fieromaster (edited 07-25-2003).]

Manic Mechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2003 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Manic MechanicSend a Private Message to Manic MechanicDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by StansGT:

I do beleive you may be sort of wrong there. However it doesnt matter since the sunbird motors were crap anyhow. There top ends were strong enough for the the boost, however if you ever dealt with one youd realize the bottom end is the fault with the sunbird motors.. Plus for a turbo 4cyl, they had a bad power band. The head gasket issue you may be speaking off occurs to the NA 2.0l Gm 4cly and the of course the infamous Quad four. When GM turboed the NA sunbird motor they rengineered the head and gasket spacifically for that application "suprising for GM".

The top ends were also junk. My turbo sunbird blew 2 head gaskets and cracked a head before I parked it (waiting a v8 muhaha). And I don't believe the head gaskets are different, I never came across 2 head gasket numbers when I was hunting them.

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
The Quad4 head gasket problems were caused because GM didn't take into account the different expansion rates of the iron block and the aluminum head (I believe). This problem can be solved with a quality aftermarket head gasket.
--Bryson
MAN I NEED MY CAR FINISHED

------------------
88 VW GTI 16v
88 Fiero Formula

baldlobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for baldloboSend a Private Message to baldloboDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Manic Mechanic:

The top ends were also junk. My turbo sunbird blew 2 head gaskets and cracked a head before I parked it (waiting a v8 muhaha). And I don't believe the head gaskets are different, I never came across 2 head gasket numbers when I was hunting them.

there is probably one for the ohv, and the ohc(gm made 2 different 2l engines(chevy and pontiac) in the late 80's j-bodies)

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
Oslo, What turbo are you using? What Size is used on the MR2. I think it would be sweet if someone used an MR2 turbo on a Fiero Yes I have a 2.5 that I am thinking of throwing a turbo on. And a 2.8 as well HECK, Guess I will just haveto get two turbo's!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock