Spy Pics Of My New Mods by Voytek
Started on: 02-24-2003 02:59 PM
Replies: 115
Last post by: Voytek on 06-23-2003 10:18 AM
FLASHY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FLASHYSend a Private Message to FLASHYDirect Link to This Post

BTW, these pics don't do justice for the car, especially since they're taken at night. This car looks incredible in person!!! Trust me.

------------------

IP: Logged
SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
Damn that looks pretty sweet sofar. I wish I had the garage/knowhow to do this kinda thing!

Nice work.. I hope to see it in person either at the red deer show, or when i come down to cg for biz

JZ

------------------

- 2.8v6, 5spd
- no cat, msd ignition/coil, K&N

Voytek

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tejas:

Voytek,

There is a thread that questions the quality of the Street Dreams spindles.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/033537.html

What is your opinion based on what you just received? Any problems with fit-up or bolt holes in the wrong place?

BTW very nice work.

Karl

I've had no problems with them. Actually, I have heard some concerns on here before that were with the first batch, so I have asked the guy at their shop on the phone (can't remember his name). He said if there were any problems, they've been worked out. That was good enough for me. They fit really well and I didn't need to do any rework. I am actually quite happy and would recommend these to anyone who wants the 'look' and comfort at the same time.

Voytek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post

Voytek

1924 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by 87GTBro:

Are you worried about the lack of flexibility the bondo has? Duramix also makes a flexible body panel repair epoxy which is also sandable. I used it to install my lower door trim for my Stage 2 scoops.

If I were to do this... I would use flexible stuff to prevent slight bumps and bumper flex from cracking all your hard work. I dont remember the part number of the duramix epoxy, but I have a catalog around here somewhere. If I find it, I will edit this post.

Agreed - Duramix / flexible filler is actually what I have used (it's somewhere in the earlier posts in this thread).

I was worried about cracking with the rigid fiberglass-to flexible panels combo. Duramix is expensive so I use it to do the contours and to attach fiberglass cloth to the body for strength. Then I fill in the rest with some cheaper flexible stuff.

Good point.

RiceCooker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RiceCookerSend a Private Message to RiceCookerDirect Link to This Post

I guess I'm gonna have to come to a cfog meeting this year

Sweet car Voytek!

p.s. that garage looks Really well built where's the drywall?

Voytek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post
Hey Cooker - how's things? You've been so quiet I figured you've sold your Fiero and moved.

I meant to ask you - who did your exhaust? I will be shopping for one soon and I know yours was done really well.

Thanks!

GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
how'd you do your hood vent?

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed
16 years old and already selling my stuff to pay for repairs to my Fiero...which i sold my stuff to buy in the first place

RiceCooker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RiceCookerSend a Private Message to RiceCookerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Voytek:

Hey Cooker - how's things? You've been so quiet I figured you've sold your Fiero and moved.

I meant to ask you - who did your exhaust? I will be shopping for one soon and I know yours was done really well.

Thanks!

Things are great!
Still got my car of course! but I don't exactly live in 'the hood' anymore. I read the boards sparingly during the winter but not much.

My exhaust was done by Unlimted Performance & Exhaust. I don't have the # but they should be in the book. They're just off of Blackfoot i think.

So are you gonna borrow Flashy's old "Turbo" emblem?

Voytek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTFiero1:

how'd you do your hood vent?

It's not that hard. Some people say you have to incorporate a wood block in the opening, permanently to hold the opening. I did not use one and don't think you have to (have had this for about 3 months now w/o any cracks).

First, I marked and cut the hole where I wanted it. Since I have a/c, my fan is that much farther back so my opening could not be that long and had to come right to the edge of where the rubber seal is for front compartment (I did not want to affect the sealing surface for fear of leaks).

There is a catch here: the hood is made from two layers of fiberglass. When you open the hood, around the fan area the layers are 'glued together', i.e. the hood is thin, like a single layer. Where the hood becomes thicker, the two layers split leaving a holow space inside. The problem? You can't bend that! What you need to do (if your opening goes that far back, where the hood becomes 'thicker') is to cut only the inside layer. I did it using a Dremel tool. Other cuts around were made with a jigsaw.

Once this was accomplished, I bent down the piece and stuck 2 little blocks of wood in the opening to hold it in place. Again, depending on how long your 'lip' is that you are bending down, there may be a lot of stress there, which may be more prone to cracking once the fiberglassing is done.

Since my 'lip' was short, it was difficult to bend. I ended up putting another groove on the outside of the hood, right at the bend with a Dremel tool. It was about 1.5" wide and about 1/8" deep (you DON'T want to go right through). This improved flexibility of the lip significantly.

Then, I sanded all around the cuts (underneath and on top of the hood) all the way to 'white' fiberglass was showing for best adhesion. I've seen people fiberglass directly onto the black surface but it will not stick very well in the long run.

Then I brushed on the fiberglass, including the groove I made on the outside, along the bend (just for some added strength).

Once it dried, i applied one more layer and then shaped it with rigid body filler.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Monza76

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the information on the vent, I have started one but it has been put on the back burner for now. I also have a Dodge Shadow spoiler that I am currently preparing to mount this summer.

If I read this all correctly the most important step is to make sure I am down to unpainted fiberglass before I try to bond any new fiberglass to it.

Ira

------------------
The Iron Duke Resource Site

Ira Crummey
1985 coupe

Voytek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post
Ok - here's an update.

The car is ready for paint!!! Here it is all prepped.

FLASHY - take it away man!

PFF
System Bot
FLASHY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FLASHYSend a Private Message to FLASHYDirect Link to This Post
Alrighty...here they are.

------------------

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! I like what you did with the front and rear fascias. It helps the intergrated rockers match up better. And the wing is cool too.

Nice job. Can't wait to see it painted. Are you going to put stripes on it again, or leave it all one color?

------------------

Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post
That's really cool looking. You should definitely leave it all one color

------------------

Maroon 1987 GT 5 spd: 2.8L
Ferrari Red 1988 Formula 5 spd: 3.4L

My Website: http://www.members.cox.net/rare88/

Voytek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys.

It's definitely staying one color, i.e. no stripes. I've matured.

I'll post pics of it painted next week. BTW, it will be yellow again.

Oh yeah, this is fairly subtle but the front fenders are extended out and down about 1/4" each way. I wish I had gone more aggressive. You can kinda see from the side that the top of the fender does not follow the same 'roundness'.

[This message has been edited by Voytek (edited 06-09-2003).]

Damien Vrice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Damien VriceSend a Private Message to Damien VriceDirect Link to This Post
i think your car is really coming together well. only thing i see that detracts from it is that spolier. your stands are a good hieght, but those bends on either side look bad. put a nice stock fiero spoiler with good convex bow to it on there and you will be in the butter zone!
FLASHY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FLASHYSend a Private Message to FLASHYDirect Link to This Post
This is why I like the bend in the wing. Kinda reminds me of this car...

------------------

Damien Vrice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Damien VriceSend a Private Message to Damien VriceDirect Link to This Post
whatever floats your boat
happy sailing *Salute*

EDIT: Typo

[This message has been edited by Damien Vrice (edited 06-09-2003).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Nice work!

I really like the simplicity of this rear fascia mod! I assume that you created it much like you did the one on the front? (You described cutting two pieces from an old panel and basically bonding them in place then smoothing them in).

Now you got me thinkin'... Hmmm.

Oh yeah- can't wait to see it painted!

RiceCooker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RiceCookerSend a Private Message to RiceCookerDirect Link to This Post
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET

When does it go in for paint?

Voytek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post
Flashy - thanks! That's exactly it.

MinnGreen - yes, the rear facia was modified exactly the same way as the front.

RiceCooker - it's going for paint Wednesday and Thursday.

This coming weekend will be 'put-it-back-together' weekend.

PFF
System Bot
Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
Look's GREAT!!
I love the way you did the rear and front fascia's... I amglad I am not doing anything on SmoothGT, except finishing up before it's gone. If not I would have to do something along the same line's as you!! Great job, look's great!!

SmothGT!!

------------------
~~Steve~~
~~SmoothGT~~

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com

Voytek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Smoooooth GT:

Look's GREAT!!
I love the way you did the rear and front fascia's... I amglad I am not doing anything on SmoothGT, except finishing up before it's gone. If not I would have to do something along the same line's as you!! Great job, look's great!!

SmothGT!!

Thanks! All it needs now is a chop top (I've ran out of time for the front facia-a-la-Smooth).

A list of mods to-date (since November '02):
1. Turbo
2. Fiero Store rear sway bar
3. GroundControl rear coilovers
4. Street Dreams 2" drop spindles (front)
5. All poly bushings (actually done last spring )
6. Fibersmith's Rear decklid scoop glassed in
7. Front hood vent
8. Front facia wide-job + intakes (fake)
9. Rear bumper wide-job
10. Wing mod (with taller stands, had earlier)
11. V8 Archie side scoops / skirts
12. Fiero Store floor mats

Still to come:
13. Custom 2.5" exhaust
14. Mr. Mike's leather seats
15. Some kind of front air dam

I have one other idea that I've seen on here but won't disclose for now. You'll see.

Stay tuned...

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Voytek, I like your style and willingness to try new things. That car will be great! Can't wait to see it with a shine to it.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 Supercharged
White 88 GT Stock
Please give me a rating if you appreciate my contribution.
History of Skitimes Car

FLASHY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FLASHYSend a Private Message to FLASHYDirect Link to This Post
Looks like it's almost time for a new signature Voytek.
GMGW3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GMGW3Send a Private Message to GMGW3Direct Link to This Post

Thanks! All it needs now is a chop top

Now *that* I would love to see.. Ive never seen a yellow choptop fastback yet, I seriously debated between yellow or white for mine, but of course Im a sucker for white GT's so as you all know by now which color won out

FLASHY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FLASHYSend a Private Message to FLASHYDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmmm.....

JacobHaley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JacobHaleySend a Private Message to JacobHaleyDirect Link to This Post
Mmmmmmm... Choptop
Voytek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post
WOW. That looks good!! May have to go dig out the old reciprocating saw tonight and have some fun. I still have one more day to paint job - should be able to make it, right?
FLASHY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FLASHYSend a Private Message to FLASHYDirect Link to This Post
Or just cut the roof off completely and make a convertible. Hey that'd be cool, a hard top convertible. Just cut off the roof and then have it clip back on whenever.

My brain thinks too much.

rynelson85

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rynelson85Send a Private Message to rynelson85Direct Link to This Post
wow, that looks awesome!
-Ryan

------------------

88 Formula undergoing change to become Mazdaspeed Orange!

AOL - i am RATDOG

http://members.cox.net/rynelson85/
http://members.cox.net/kafc/

PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Sweet! I just couldn't resist the opportunity:

MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEDirect Link to This Post
Very nice!!!!

I Love the curve in the wing, it really makes the raised look fit the back of the car better.

MOBILE

P.S. Hey MinnG, that yellow does look nice, whatdayathink Voytek??

------------------

Member MN Fieros Forever 1986 GT. Self Installed SC3800/getrag. 10 years in Car Audio and Car Electronics Experiance GOT 19"s??(all the way around)

GMGW3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GMGW3Send a Private Message to GMGW3Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

Sweet! I just couldn't resist the opportunity:

Rob , you have way too much time on your hands hehe.. ( pssst..could u do that to mine too? just curious what it would have looked like yellow )

PS You can PM it to me, dont want to clutter up Voyteks thread with O/T stuff

[This message has been edited by GMGW3 (edited 06-10-2003).]

Voytek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MOBILE:

Very nice!!!!

I Love the curve in the wing, it really makes the raised look fit the back of the car better.

MOBILE

P.S. Hey MinnG, that yellow does look nice, whatdayathink Voytek??

Man, that yellow DOES look good. What are you guys doing to me???!!!! Now the stock roof looks high!

BTW, this yellow is very similar to what I have seen on a Corvette at our annual car show. This is what I wanted to get. Unfortunately GM doesn't have a paint code for this shade. I'm told this was a 'one-of' jobbie.

I picked up a can of Ford zinc yellow instead (there is the F word ). It will be a bit more subtle.

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

I've ran out of time for the front facia-a-la-Smooth.

A-La-Smooth.... hahaha
I did'nt do it...
It's A-La_Voytek...

a-la-smooth... gonna **** her...

------------------
~~Steve~~
~~SmoothGT~~
SmoothSE coming soon!!

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MOBILE:
P.S. Hey MinnG, that yellow does look nice...

Yeah, oddly enough I thought of your GT while I was coloring his

Originally posted by GMGW3:

Rob , you have way too much time on your hands hehe.. ( pssst..could u do that to mine too? just curious what it would have looked like yellow )

PS You can PM it to me, dont want to clutter up Voyteks thread with O/T stuff

Well, last week was hell here at the office (worked over 50hrs, 13 1/2 on Friday alone- Ugh). So I'm taking advantage of some of my quieter day today and doing a few things that I enjoy... and being that people are looking at the yellow choptop image, I figure it's still near-topic and others will want to see it (Voytek- if you do mind me posting this, let me know and I'll move it to another thread )

Man, that yellow DOES look good. What are you guys doing to me???!!!! Now the stock roof looks high!

Ya know... when you put the two side-by-side like that - it really does make the stock roof look "tall"! (Remind me never to photo-chop my GT!)

Neal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NealClick Here to visit Neal's HomePageSend a Private Message to NealDirect Link to This Post
Lookin good voytek
will it be painted for the next meeting? I might actually make that one, but it will likely be the only one i make all year.

edit, i suppose it will be done but will you have the car there?

Also just a thought with your turbo setup id go larger than 2.5" exhaust. Id really go 3" if it will fit. You really cant go to big on a turbo setup.
------------------

3.4L 87GT

[This message has been edited by Neal (edited 06-10-2003).]

GMGW3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GMGW3Send a Private Message to GMGW3Direct Link to This Post
Umm wow, thats sure.. yellow lol. Actually there is some benifit to seeing this, The yellow looks cool, but seeing it now with black trim pretty much supports what I thought, Yellow and Reds look better with the trim painted > IE: the Stinger, Skitimes ect, White seems to look better with the trim blacked out, if its the same white color it just looks like its been painted over like someone forgot to mask it off. With Voyteks car It looks much better with the painted yellow trim!
SLAMMED87GT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLAMMED87GTSend a Private Message to SLAMMED87GTDirect Link to This Post
Voytek, awesome job on the mods.

A postive rating to you from me!

hint, hint.

------------------
'87GT 5" Drop on 17's, Can you say "Bagged"? -on air- (Custom paint, interior, stereo, exhaust, intake, spoiler)

'95 Eclipse GSX, Black, T-25 Turbo, Autometer Pro gauge, Razo shift knob, Intake, MBC

fieros only

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock