Another cupholder design...have a look! by Rickker
Started on: 04-14-2003 09:36 PM
Replies: 25
Last post by: StuGood on 04-17-2003 07:04 PM
Rickker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2003 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickkerSend a Private Message to RickkerDirect Link to This Post
Well, I suspect many of you are weary of custom cupholder designs, but allow me to share my creation with you. I have only been on the Forum for a little over a year, so forgive me if someone has already posted this arrangement.

I made a template and then used a jigsaw to cut a rigid plastic plate that would fit in the space behind the insturment panel, like this:

It looks a bit like a stretched-out boomerang. It will be fastened down by removing the two screws behind the instrument panel, and replacing them with longer ones. Here is a pic with the plate in position:

Now, the actual cupholders were made from a couple of large plastic glasses that had the proper taper angle for a Tim Hortons cup (I know, I know, only us Canadians know what a Tim Hortons cup is). Anyway, my wife doesn't know this yet, but I sacrificed two of her patio glasses. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the glass, fastened in my drill press, and used a hack saw blade to cut it to the proper height. This was the setup:

Next, I mounted the cups on the end of the plate and used a charcoal-grey spray paint to match the dash color.

Then, fasten the assembly into position

This is what it finally looks like. Canadian forum members will appreciate the perfect fit for a Tim Hortons cup. Actually, the left one has a removable insert, so you can switch between a small or medium cup size.

Finally, an added benefit is that you can use one of the holders for your cell phone.

Yes, that is snow on the ground!! The pic was taken near Amherst, Nova Scotia, while I was delivering my '88GT to jelly2m8, so he could do some work on it for me.

Hope this was of interest to some of you. Any comments?

...Rickker

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DJRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2003 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post
Those are pretty cool.

Also neat how you took those pictures a month from now. I hope you enjoy the cupholders when you get them done!

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2003 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
Very nice, Rickker...and very original! Have you considered making and selling the cupholders? I imagine you could sell a few of those here...

------------------

Mike...86 GT 4 Speed
"Sucks to be me..."

[This message has been edited by litespd (edited 04-14-2003).]

Rickker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2003 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickkerSend a Private Message to RickkerDirect Link to This Post
Ooooops.....That digital camera was set one month ahead. That should be April, not May, folks..
...Rickker
TWEETIE BIRD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2003 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TWEETIE BIRDClick Here to visit TWEETIE BIRD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TWEETIE BIRDDirect Link to This Post
Excellent idea! Very creative.
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2003 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Wow, very slick! I really like it!

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula
- 1st Place - Stock Coupe - FOCOSEVA 2000
- 3rd Place - Stock Formula - FOCOA Nat'l 2001
- Class Winner - 1982 to Present - Tarheel Tigers All-Pontiac Show 2001
- Class Winner - Fiero: All Years - Tarheel Tigers All-Pontiac Show 2002

Rickker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2003 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickkerSend a Private Message to RickkerDirect Link to This Post
Mike, there is a fair bit of labor involved in making these, and you have to be careful with the jigsaw, or the plate won't fit properly. So, it would be pretty costly to make a handful of these for a few Forum members. If there was a LOT of interest, I could look into some tooling to punch out the plates, and source some holders that might work as is, rather than using up my wife's collection of plastic glasses, heh..heh...

...Rickker

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2003 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
Yes, those cup holders are pretty trick.

Rick, I am amazed at the pic of the snow, it was so nice here yesterday, we could have cruised in the T-Top. I't amazing the difference in weather 100 or so miles away.

------------------

1988GT T-Tops, 5spd, Loaded

MarkJPana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2003 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkJPanaSend a Private Message to MarkJPanaDirect Link to This Post
that is one slick idea, i want to get some cupholders in there myself, but ur idea very easily outclasses mine, i was thinking in the door panel somewhere, like between the crank and the armrest, but u have gotten a huge idea there, very impressive. when i find a way to do my idea ill let ya know for ur judging
congrats on the cupholders,

------------------

New UPDATED Picture Coming Soon!

RacinRob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2003 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RacinRobClick Here to visit RacinRob's HomePageSend a Private Message to RacinRobDirect Link to This Post
That is fairly slick and leaves the int. with a clean look which I think is lacking in many other designs.

------------------

85 GT 4 SPD
Number 53715 of 76371
Best 1/4 15.816 @ 84.72

Accel 8.8mm wires, Accel 300+ Ignition box, Blaster Coil, NGK UR5, K&N, Short Shifter, High flow cat, Monochrome Caracus red, KYB shocks/struts, ST lowering springs, Poly Dogbone.

Coulee Region Fieros member(couleefiero.tripod.com)

DustoneGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2003 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for living in New Mexico, USA, but what's a tim horton's cup?

Let us know when the wife finds out about her patio cups, that'll probably be a story as interesting as the cup holders themselves!

PFF
System Bot
Santa Cruzer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2003 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Santa CruzerSend a Private Message to Santa CruzerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DustoneGT:

Sorry for living in New Mexico, USA, but what's a tim horton's cup?

Put it this way! that franchise is so big here in canada there really isint too many other coffee shops.There is literally line ups every morning out the door! (canadians can verify).

Nice work on the holder! mines a bit different but yours is cool.

Gridlock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 220
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2003 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GridlockSend a Private Message to GridlockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Santa Cruzer:

Put it this way! that franchise is so big here in canada there really isint too many other coffee shops.There is literally line ups every morning out the door! (canadians can verify).

Nice work on the holder! mines a bit different but yours is cool.

You know in Vancouver, Tim Hortens just isn't the "experience" that it is in eastern canada. There are Timmy Ho's here, but everyone craves the starbucks lattes more

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2003 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Hey that's a great idea, I think I might give it a try. But I think I'll leave the wife's glasses alone...

Plus for you!

Sour

Krashdavus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2003 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KrashdavusSend a Private Message to KrashdavusDirect Link to This Post
As Don Cherry sez: BEAUTY!

Now design one to hold Molson Bubba.

Mac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2003 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MacClick Here to visit Mac's HomePageSend a Private Message to MacDirect Link to This Post

Nice job Rick.. That turned out quite nice..

But where am I gonna put my large double double??

Oh yea, for those who don't know what a Tim Hortons is, you probably still think we (ie Canadians) live in Igloos up here and have seals for pets...

Cheers,

------------------

Andrew MacPherson
86 2M6 - Turbo what?
82 Z28 - www.ttz28.com
96 CRAPalier - Beater

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2003 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
20 oz pop bottles fit right in there as is, but i'm sure everyones done that by now
Spiff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2003 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpiffClick Here to visit Spiff's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpiffDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rickker. How about some dimensions for us lazy people. I will put this in my modifications do do pile.

I classify Tim Hortons as a Dunkin Donuts (time to make the donuts) meets Starbucks type of place.

Jon

------------------

1988 Fiero Formula T-Top # 1008 of 1252 (5 Spd White /Gray)
Click here to go to my Web site
Please use the Rating system accordingly

Rickker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2003 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickkerSend a Private Message to RickkerDirect Link to This Post
Jon, I could supply some dimensions, but it is a lot easier to start with piece of cardboard, 19" by 5",and hold it above the area to sketch in the contours. Then just trim with scissors until you get an approximate fit. Then trace this onto another sheet to make the minor corrections. Actually, I made an interim template out of 1/4" plywood, and carefully filed and sanded until I achieved a near-perfect fit. I then used this final template to trace on the ABS plate, and then very carefully cut the final part out with a jig saw. It took several hours to get the final product. Goood luck!!

...Rickker

sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2003 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
Great idea! Now I can stop pondering where to put a cup holder while I'm driving down the freeway!

Neil

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2003 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
That's a good idea. My setup only works if you've installed a 1 DIN stereo.

------------------

fierosound - 1987 GT - World of Wheels Winner
& Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner (click me)

PFF
System Bot
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2003 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

That's a good idea. My setup only works if you've installed a 1 DIN stereo.

Cool idea. I like that look. I was going to get cupholders but I think they just ruin our stock Interior. I like that one though. Ill just stay without them though I dont need it nor do I allow drinks from like drivethrus in my car just like quik trip 20oz drinks Later.

------------------

Maroon 1987 GT 5 spd: 2.8L
Ferrari Red 1988 Formula 5 spd: 3.4L

My Website: http://www.members.cox.net/rare88/

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2003 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
I know it's not a very creative solution, but I stick to bottled water when I'm driving, so I don't need a cupholder to keep it upright. My faily driver (ok, my only car at the moment) has cup holders, but with the way canadian roads are in winter... that's not too stable either.

------------------
steve@digitalfusion.on.ca
"Whoever said money can't buy happiness.. didn't have much of an imagination." - Steve King, 1997

Rickker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2003 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RickkerSend a Private Message to RickkerDirect Link to This Post
Hey Fierosound, that looks pretty good. Which DIN stero system are you using? And, are those cupholders built into the system, or something you added afterwards?
...Rickker
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2003 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickker:

Hey Fierosound, that looks pretty good. Which DIN stero system are you using? And, are those cupholders built into the system, or something you added afterwards?
...Rickker

It's the Denon unit I've had "forever". I built a new mounting plate and moved it lower in the 1.5 DIN hole.
I got the cupholder from a 96 Dolt Colt at the wrecker.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-16-2003).]

StuGood

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2003 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StuGoodSend a Private Message to StuGoodDirect Link to This Post
Pretty neat, Rickker! It's similar to something I think of doing every once in a while (but never actually do) which is: Install a "depth stop" bracket, that would keep a paper beverage cup from sliding down too far.

Most of the time, a large paper cup wedges nicely into the Fiero's "natural" cupholder. But sometimes, if the cup gets a little soggy, or if I hit one bump too many, the cup slides down just a little too far for comfort! Never gotten cold feet from this (yet ), but it sure would be a rude awakening! So pull the cup back up, and think, "One of these days, I need to put a little bracket in there..." But of course, after I get home, I forget all about it.

Guess it's just one of those "Yeah, I do have a leaky roof on my house, but it only leaks when it rains," things. Anyway, nice job, Rickker, it looks nice and from what you say, it works well, too !

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock