Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  A new motorsport specifically for the Fiero!!!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

A new motorsport specifically for the Fiero!!! by cadero2dmax
Started on: 10-20-2002 10:54 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Nashco on 10-23-2002 12:52 PM
cadero2dmax

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2002 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post
The Classic Fiero Owners Group International (CFOG-I) has finally done something to initiate a Spec Fiero class for road racing. This has been a much debated topic for several years now, as most of you are aware.

Beginning when the CFOG-I officers and directors took an interest in forming a Performance Division, they have taken the challenge to write a set of rules that will offer an inexpensive introduction to this type of competition.

All cars are spec'd the same, and the various models and body styles have different weight allowances (with driver) so that no vehicle on the track should have any advantage. In Spec Fiero, there is no "best of breed", every effort has been made to make EVERY Fiero equally competitve - be it 4 or 6 cylinder, coupe or GT, standard or automatic, early or '88 chassis.

Every effort will be made to have a Spec Fiero ready to compete at the proposed track day next July during the 20th Anniversary Celebration in Pontiac, MI. The prototype Spec Fiero should also be on display during that week.

The rules will be available on the new CFOG-I website. In the interim, for an electronic copy of the rules (or if there are any other questions about this new and exciting form of motorsports) please feel free to e-mail me at gryan3@mindspring.com.

Additionally, there soon will be a mailing list formed for those that are interested in competing in Spec Fiero.

Thank You

George Ryan
Performance director
CFOG-I

[This message has been edited by cadero2dmax (edited 10-20-2002).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
85SE
From: Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada (yes, the town is named Paradise!)

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2002 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEClick Here to visit 85SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85SEDirect Link to This Post
My congrats to you George and CFOG-I in general for getting this accomplished this far!

Now if only there were some SCCA style racing around here...

Regards,
Andrew

------------------
Andrew - 85SE - www.andrewsfiero.ca

Black88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2002 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTDirect Link to This Post
Damn I remember talk about a Spec Fiero class from way back to the fiero mailing lists.

Any idea on where the events will be held?

cadero2dmax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2002 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black88GT:
Damn I remember talk about a Spec Fiero class from way back to the fiero mailing lists.

Any idea on where the events will be held?

Yeah, the Spec Fiero has been a dream of mine ever since I started the Racing List a number of years ago.

It took the influence and help of CFOG-I to make it possible, however.

Spec Fiero now has a major sponsor and a sanctioning body. Now all it needs is for cars to be built.

Once their are enough cars to run separately, the Spec Fiero class will be run in conjunction with the NASA Spec 7 series.

Until there are enough cars, Spec Fiero will (with some exceptions) be eligible to compete in any sanctioned IT event. Those exceptions are, no auto trans cars can run with any other class except Spec Fiero, and the 4 cylinder cars cannot run the same 7" wide wheels in other class (IT limits the 4 cyl. to 6" wheels for some reason).

G

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2002 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
hey George,
is that SPEC stand for:
Spinout
Purposely at
Every
Corner ???? ha ha just HAD to put that in here! When will you come run down here in Tx?? I have a race on Nov 17th, come play !!!

------------------

Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2002 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
Hehehe.... When I read the title, I was thinking along the lines of Fieros as motorcycle jumps...

But that's just as good!

cadero2dmax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2002 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post
-

[This message has been edited by cadero2dmax (edited 10-23-2002).]

cadero2dmax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2002 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post
-

cadero2dmax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2002 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post

cadero2dmax

1266 posts
Member since Oct 2001
Hate to ruin all these posts, but back to the topic.

If anybody knows any road racers, or wants to get on track, well the Spec Fiero is an excellent way to do that. The new CFOG-I website should be up in a few days, and the entire set of rules will be posted there. But in the interim, please feel free to e-mail me and I will send an attachment.

G

cadero2dmax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2002 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post
A full set of the rules were uploaded to the "files" section on the Fiero Racing List, for those that are interested.

G

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2002 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Pretty interesting stuff George. I read through the rules this morning; it looks to be exactly like you said, anybody can start for under 5 grand! I'm willing to bet those willing to work for it could get the car started for MUCH less than that even. I think if I was going to do it, I could be very competitive for 5 grand, which is ridiculously cheap for a race car.

You're doing a great job, along with CFOG to pave the way..keep on truckin'!

Bryce
88 GT

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock