Started on: 08-25-2002 05:08 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: Philphine on 08-26-2002 12:21 AM
Philphine

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2002 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
trying to post a few things i've described and am just now getting pic capability to show. if i've mentioned something you remember and were interested in let me know and i'll try to show it.

first this disclaimer: i say functional in the fact that it is an indy scoop and the intake is under it. other's can argue weather it is more functional, better or worse flowing or has ram air capability. it's something i wanted to try and hopefully if i am able to swap engines in the future, the idea can tranfer over.

it started with liking the scoop and getting it for my '87 coupe, then wanting it to be more than a big piece glass on the car. i first cut a hole in the lid for cooling. then played with the shape of the intake so it was under it then found a filter that would fit.

no rocket science obviously. i cut the original snorkle down, covered the opening and cut a hole in the side. then got some electrical conduit the happened to have the right diameter and curve in it and tacked it on. then i wrapped fiberglass around it to seal it.

once i found the filter (this past spring or so) and glassed the welded spots i took the original filter out. it's been together more or less this way for a few years with no hydro probs (the tube you see coming down in the pics is water drainage under the scoop. don't know if it's needed or even helps, but it seemed like something to include).

popping the sunroof lets me listen to it work. i haven't began to find it annoying yet. in fact, the stereo was stolen out of this car a few months back. it used to cover the sound pretty much when i had it turned up, but since i haven't replaced it yet it's all i hear with the roof unlatched. that might change with something really sucking some air but i've got a feeling i'll still like it.

anyway there it is. a few pics to go with past descriptions.

------------------
Phil T.

start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BC-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2002 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BC-GTSend a Private Message to BC-GTDirect Link to This Post
From the looks of the first pic, it seems all the fresh air is being deflected overthe scoop with your sunroof open.

------------------

Rex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2002 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RexSend a Private Message to RexDirect Link to This Post
interesting, looks functional and is that a brake light I see on the rear there? how about some more info. Will the deck raise with it installed,cost,ect.looks cool I may want one.
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2002 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
bc, i wondered the same thing myself. i did careful scientific study on it by driving at highway speed and flipping my sunroof back and forth while feeling for some engine change and watching my air/fuel meter and vaccume/boost (just used for vaccume for now) guage. i really can't tell a difference either way.

rex, yes that's a brake light i got cheap with about 4-5 for spares. i'd really like something thinner and longer that runs down the back.

cost, $200 (in a club at the time so i got it for $180) from irm, which i guess is no longer in business but i think a couple other places have them. after that, nuts, bolts, the aluminum plate on the lid were minimal cost. as were the pipe and glass on the filter housing. got the filter at a swap meet for $5.

i have to take it off to raise the lid. i didn't put it on as instructed 'cause it isn't as easy to make it functional that way. if you can see in the second pic there is half a hinge on the end of the aluminum plate. i finagled the hinge to come off once it is raised so far. ever seen any military test equipment? that's where i got the idea. in stock form there is a gas strut under the scoop that holds the scoop up for opening the lid.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock