Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  detatachable steering wheel seem worth it?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

detatachable steering wheel seem worth it? by Philphine
Started on: 07-08-2002 08:05 AM
Replies: 19
Last post by: Philphine on 09-08-2002 02:56 PM
Philphine

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2002 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
as an extra convertible security measure? i've only found one set up so far that adds about $140 to the cost of a hub (momo type).
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dumba$$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2002 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dumba$$Send a Private Message to Dumba$$Direct Link to This Post
that woud make for one hell of a big keychain!!

IMO
that would be like a detachable face for your CD player, SOMTHING YOU WILL MOST LIKLEY NEVER USE

------------------
Rich
Sioux Falls SD

86' 2m6 4.10-too many extras to list
92' BMW 325i-cold air intake, borla exhaust,strut tower brace,
97 Eclipse GS-T --- a few mods

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2002 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Seems to me that if he's asking for information about it, it's something that he WOULD use.

I imagine that any way at all that you can make it more difficult to steal your car, the more likely a thief would go after easier pickings.

However, if they want it, they're going to get it one way or the other, even if they pull it onto a flatbed and haul it off.

A removable steering wheel will deter joyriders and such, but wouldn't even slow down a determined, high-level car thief.

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula
- 1st Place - Stock Coupe - FOCOSEVA 2000
- 3rd Place - Stock Formula - FOCOA Nat'l 2001
- Class Winner - 1982 to Present - Tarheel Tigers All-Pontiac Show 2001

FieroBUZZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2002 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBUZZSend a Private Message to FieroBUZZDirect Link to This Post
If they want to take your car, they will. If they want to trash your car, they will.

The removeable wheel will certainly make the casual thief pass you by. And of course it looks cool. A friend has one on his 36 chevy stock car. Really makes you look twice, the first time you lean in.

Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2002 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
it's kind of true that i probaly wouldn't pull it off very often. if i use it like my detatchable radio face it may not be more than a few times a year. i'm just thinking for the "opportunist" type thief it might be more tempting since getting into the car is as easy as having a halfway sharp knife.
artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2002 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
While it will likely deter casual thieves...

If you are going to park in an area where you're thinking "Gee, I should remove the steering wheel here" Then you should *PROBALLY NOT PARK YOUR CAR THERE AT ALL!*

Instead, just get an alarm that senses if someone puts their hands in the open-top. (and just leave top off)

A well placed prominent DOD or Sherrif's Department parking sticker, and maybe even a CB radio installed in your car too, makes one *hell* of an anti-theft system...

Best!
Ben.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red. (2:13.138 at Sears Point) "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
88 Formula, Northstar, Silver, In-Progreess. -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2002 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
A big hairy dude named Bubba with a 20-06 shotgun and a Rambo knife in his teeth will probably do the trick, too.
Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2002 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by artherd:

If you are going to park in an area where you're thinking "Gee, I should remove the steering wheel here" Then you should *PROBALLY NOT PARK YOUR CAR THERE AT ALL!*

you ever been to louisville? that would almost mean i couldn't go home.

actually it's not quite that bad. i really don't go out much so it's usually if i drive to a big event where my car is in a sea of cars (like the fairgrounds or a big mall parking lot during holiday season) that i worry.

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2002 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
My friend put on on his jeep (Detachable wheel) the nice thing, was that once you take the wheel off, a "chapman lock" (Circular hole) lock goes over the column, so a thief can't just put another wheel on and drive off...
MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2002 04:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest a Viper Alarm. A blinking LED and a siren will attrack more attention. They barely ever false. Much improved from years ago. They come with a Lifetime warranty, Starter interupt, and the most important Keyless Entry and Trunk Pop. (if you have power locks, if not places can add them)That also saves on the paint. This system will de under $300.00 and are extremely reliable. Any questions let me know, I have been installing and using them for over 10 years.

------------------
Member MN Fieros Forever 1986 GT self installed SC3800/getrag almost everything performance wise is modified/upgraded, inside and out.

TRiAD

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2002 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:
A removable steering wheel will deter joyriders and such, but wouldn't even slow down a determined, high-level car thief.

And a determined, high-level car thief would be looking at a convertible Fiero why?

------------------

Rusty: '85 GT 4sp, blown motor, rusty chassis...parting out.
Eve: '84 Perfect California chassis, stripped, recieving all Rusty's usable parts and 3.4 DOHC swap!

PFF
System Bot
Sophia Nova

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2002 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sophia NovaSend a Private Message to Sophia NovaDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, I wouldn't do it. Sounds awfully expensive for an unnecessary security measure.
I agree with everyone else that if someone REALLY wants to steal your car, they will do it anyway.
Although most car thieves do it because of opportunity, and I don't really think that any really good, experienced theif would be interested in a Fiero anyway.
i don't know...
I guess if I had the cash to blow I would maybe almost consider it, but ultimately most likely would not buy one.
~sophia
gggg-us

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2002 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gggg-usClick Here to visit gggg-us's HomePageSend a Private Message to gggg-usDirect Link to This Post
I don't have tilt on my 88 coupe...and I'm considering doing something like this as a "cool" factor and to make it easier to get in and out of the car. Will the quick release hub from summit Part# SUM-G7851 do the trick...with a new steering wheel of course? or is there something special that needs to be done to the steering column in order to get a quick release steering wheel to work? Also, how fast is quick release? I see race car drivers pull theirs off pretty quick, but is it the same speed for something like that part from Summit?

------------------
88 4Cyl ... Rebuilding 81 Vette Engine for it now.
Check progress at http://higher.thoughtprocess.net/fiero/

Posthumane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2002 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PosthumaneClick Here to visit Posthumane's HomePageSend a Private Message to PosthumaneDirect Link to This Post
I think it's an alright idea, not only as a security measure but also for the coolness factor of it. If it is only a security feature, I think you'd be better off making an immobilzer. As for the removable face plate stereos - I use mine every time I park somewhere. Even here in nearly crime free calgary. I figure that if a thief looks inside and doesn't see a nice shiny face plate, they won't go through the trouble of breaking in and looking for it.
gggg-us

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2002 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gggg-usClick Here to visit gggg-us's HomePageSend a Private Message to gggg-usDirect Link to This Post
bumpity bump
Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2002 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Philphine:
it's kind of true that i probaly wouldn't pull it off very often. if i use it like my detatchable radio face it may not be more than a few times a year. i'm just thinking for the "opportunist" type thief it might be more tempting since getting into the car is as easy as having a halfway sharp knife.

well, as i posted this weekend, someone with a halfway sharp knife tried to steal my car or something off it (i think maybe they were after something, then decided to try and take the whole thing).

the guy at the upholstry shop said he always recommends that people with convertibles not even lock their doors. you have to decide if what's in the car is worth more than a top repair.

so i just ordered one. the whole deal (snap off system, and momo hub adapter for my momo wheel) is about $190 with shipping. i'll probaly use it more often than i originally said.

edit. guess i'll add the site addy: www.tekniqauto.com

[This message has been edited by Philphine (edited 08-27-2002).]

cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2002 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post
Well, Yes, I use one on my Koenig Ferrari! And, I might add, that I feel quite comfortable having it. No, I don't park in 'bad' neighbourhoods, but, do thiefs just stay there? Chances are, it's a joy-rider. My 'quick-release' hub is compatible with Sparco, Momo, Grant, etc., but the bonus' are: it's not 'welded' as most disconnects are, and I have my horn usage as well. Check out http://www.smartracing.net/
click on 'Performance Parts; Driver Comforts.'
There are decent pics of this adapter there!
I carry the wheel in a laptop bag. While nothing will stop a pro, I'm a strong believer in deterrents... it's hard to explain to the cop why your driving around with vicegrips on the steering column!!!! There is one downside to this... the steering wheel is 2" closer to you, if you have long arms like myself, it took some getting use to. Yes , My Ferrari is alarmed up the 'ying-yang' as well. Lack of a steering wheel deters my 16 yr old while I'm up at the cottage....
Sandy
opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2002 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
Philiphine,
I was going to say that Speedway offers several systems for way less (page 460, 50th catalogue), but I saw what you mean by the no-weld convienence, I guess.

Be sure to keep us up to date on this addition. I'm putting one kind or another on my wife's Lambo.

Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2002 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
got the parts today. a quick pic to keep this from being archived till i put them on...

from left to right they are the momo hub this company sells. i got it 'cause they said it was a little thinner to compensate for the detatchable parts. added about $45? (kind of forgot) to the price. next is the piece that bolts to the hub to lock the wheel on. last is the ring that bolts to the steering wheel. i'll try to get it set up before too long.

Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2002 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

went on pretty easy. had to do some matching up of wire connections bettween the car, adapter/lockhub, and wheel since they were from different places. just got some new crimp ons to match everything up.
locking mechanism works well and horn works right.

the one thing i don't like, it sticks out too far. not real bad but enough that i'd pay for another adapter if it fit the car and locking hub and was at least an inch shallower. plus since i went with a small dia. wheel it looks like it's sticking out even further.

that being said, i like it though. kinda tricky and helps with security too. guess i'll start looking for a bag to carry it in like cowans. maybe something to hold the radio face also when i change it, and any other security stuff, like those bags airforce pilots carry any time they fly.

so that's it. hope it works or better, hope i don't have to find out it dose.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock