Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Custom Dvd Install with pics (large) (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Custom Dvd Install with pics (large) by David Bartlett
Started on: 06-20-2002 06:41 PM
Replies: 69
Last post by: David Bartlett on 11-01-2002 12:50 AM
David Bartlett

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

First off, I got this idea from Edbone who had a similar install, and I thought it was a great idea, so I built project "Fiero Vision" incorporating some of my own ideas. The dvd player itself is an Apex 1100w (yes its a home unit) that I disassemble and built into the small confines of the centre console. (Just a reminder for anyone attempting this... there’s not really any room for anything more then some Canadian penny's.)

Here’s the dvd player before.

And here is the after pics

(closed)

(open. P.S. I haven't vacuumed, so all that dust is from the install, better pics to come)

The Apex 1100w playes DVD, VCD, SVCD, MP3, XVCD and Audio CD's. Don't forget that it has a flashable memory to add your favorite fiero screen savor and Fiero Background.

Ok so I left out the LCD screen and the construction photos. They're coming as soon as I get them developed.

Total Cost $129.99+tax Canadian
(* I got the LCD (Sony PSONE) screen as a gift from my girlfriend Angela)

------------------

1G2PG9799GP274113

[This message has been edited by David Bartlett (edited 06-20-2002).]

[This message has been edited by David Bartlett (edited 06-25-2002).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
85 gt fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 gt fieroSend a Private Message to 85 gt fieroDirect Link to This Post
Looks nice, cant wait to see the rest of the pics.

Randy

------------------

Looking for a 2.8 or 3.1 that runs good.LMK if you know of one.

Tabs31

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tabs31Send a Private Message to Tabs31Direct Link to This Post
That looks cool. I was planning to do the samething myself but I'm not really good with wires at all Plus I'm not rich so I can't have it professionaly installed. I guess it will have to wait till I get a deal of a lifetime.

------------------

Love That Fiero!!!

TurbochargedGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TurbochargedGTSend a Private Message to TurbochargedGTDirect Link to This Post
Hey, thats sweet! Taking a home DVD player apart and installing it in a car sounds like something I would do I havent even thought of doing this, maybe Ill take apart a Playstation 2.....DVD and games......oh yea! Nice install to, very sharp !

85 gt fiero :
I see that you are looking for a 2.8? I have an 88 Formula 5-speed with 97,318 miles on it. I was hit on the pass. side and am now using it as a parts car. It is really a shame too because it WAS in near perfect condition......Anyway, the engine runs strong and I have never had any problems with it. If you are interested LMK, I can do a compression check also. Make me an offer!

------------------
88 Formula 5-speed .....NO options...
88 Coupe Auto ....NO options...

David Bartlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettDirect Link to This Post
-Tabs. I'm cosidering making a mounting kit that you can buy off of me, and ofcouse I'll modify all connecting wires (at a small) cost for anyone who interested.

-Turbo. PS2'S tend to skip in cars and I believe the inners would be too large to install within the confines of the console. Not to mention they can't play SVCD's. But still it would be nice to see.

[This message has been edited by David Bartlett (edited 06-20-2002).]

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
There *was* one of those portable "Discman" sized DVD players w/ 5.6" screen on Walmart.com for $200 a few weeks back.. Now I can't even find the brand on the site, never mind the player. Now that was a good deal, even if it was a no-name brand.. Wish I had had the $$...

------------------
Bob Williams
Multi-colored '87 GT, a work in progress!

isthiswhereiputausername?

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post
will the dvd player run on the cars power with no problems? It will run on 12v?

nice install btw

David Bartlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettDirect Link to This Post
isthiswhereiputausername? - I skipped over the transformer board and made a little circuit to adjust the voltages for the drive to run. Basically it needs similar voltages to your computer +12, +5 ground etc.

But during my test runs I used an ac to dc converter that worked just as well.

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
I have an Apex AD-1500 dvd player, I like it..

too bad it's technically my dad's... but I'll probably buy my own soon, as I can't take this one with me when I move.

(and most of my movie collection is on dvd)

------------------
steve@digitalfusion.on.ca
http://www.fieroproject.com

dourain86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dourain86gtSend a Private Message to dourain86gtDirect Link to This Post
That gives me an idea for a cd changer install in that location. hmmmmm.
Thanks.
fierobaby

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobabySend a Private Message to fierobabyDirect Link to This Post
well where are the Tv screens? am I just needing to read... :-) I'm not into the word thing I like pictures

------------------
AIM: Fierobaby87
http://angelfire.com/sports/sfiero

PFF
System Bot
White88cpe
No longer registered
Report this Post06-20-2002 10:40 PM   Send a Private Message to fierobabyDirect Link to This Post
cool

------------------
Ray - rturner@fierosite.com - Fierosite.com - StangSearch.com
1988 Stage 2 Aero Coupe - 1985 Mustang 3.8 Convertable

David Bartlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettDirect Link to This Post
Ok I wasn't going to post the pics of the lcd to it was finished (it's in a temporary stat right now) but what the hey. I'll post the final when its done.

And if you wondering how I got that start-up screen I flashed the eprom.

[This message has been edited by David Bartlett (edited 06-28-2002).]

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Very cool! Nice job.

------------------

DECALS,FIERO SHOWS,STUFF...www.purplefiero.com

Mac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MacClick Here to visit Mac's HomePageSend a Private Message to MacDirect Link to This Post
Very very nice.. I was considering using one of those PS1 screens, but wasn't sure what they had for inputs.. What's the deal with those?

As well, where did you buy the DVD player from? If you don't mind, I'd like to try your setup myself.. Any info would be a great help..

Thanks!

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Wow! That's a sweet install- great work. I'd like to see details about your DVD install- if you're willing to share (we are almost family you know )

I've been thinking of doing a DVD & PSone or PS2 install, but I'm really liking the look of the center console thing! Wow!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

longtermgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longtermgtClick Here to visit longtermgt's HomePageSend a Private Message to longtermgtDirect Link to This Post
Very cool! How do you address potential reliability and or skipping?
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
I'm currently designing a multimedia computer for my Fiero, and all I need now is a decent LCD screen. I have been looking at the Sony screens as well but I thought they were a bit too small to watch comfortably. What is the Sony's diagonal? 5"?
al_fair

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for al_fairSend a Private Message to al_fairDirect Link to This Post
David- Do you have the image file that you used avail? I have been looking for a good logo to flash onto my home apex.
Avery Montembeault

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Avery MontembeaultSend a Private Message to Avery MontembeaultDirect Link to This Post
whoo hoo! finally the fiero has a cupholder!

hehe, just kidding, looks great!

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Looks good.

I would like the Image File as well.

PFF
System Bot
David Bartlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettDirect Link to This Post
Mac - the PSONE Lcd has an mini AV input, so you'll have to buy a cable or make your own. It also has stereo out for headphones
-Everythings available at Walmart

Fellow Bartlett - I'll be posting all my photo's and instructions soon.

longtermgt - The apex 1100w has internal springs to compensate, plus its mounted on a little kit I made that has 2 strips of soft rubber. I think I've had it skip once while playing an SVCD when I hit a huge pothole in Hamilton. Other then that its in the optimal spot.

Cliff Pennock - the PSONE LCD is a 5inch and it easy to read (including very fine text), I am also able to view the screen from a variety of angles. The only draw back is that LCD's arn't great in direct sunlight, but with window tint it shouldn't be much of a problem.

al_fair - I'll make my image file available soon, for a small fortune. jk

Avery Montembeault - I have a cupholder project in the works made from an old cd player..

[This message has been edited by David Bartlett (edited 06-21-2002).]

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Bartlett:
Fellow Bartlett - I'll be posting all my photo's and instructions soon.

Sweet- Thanks David!

Mac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacClick Here to visit Mac's HomePageSend a Private Message to MacDirect Link to This Post
Thanks David, greatly appreciated.. I've been known to solder a few wires together in my time so as soon as I get the supplies you can guarentee I'll be looking you up

Cheers!

al_fair

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for al_fairSend a Private Message to al_fairDirect Link to This Post
Thanks David - Cant Wait!

Cliff - have you looked at the lcd's at http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=41

Al

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2002 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
MMMMMMMMMMMMM Thanks David.........LOOKS
GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see a project coming on!

Phil

------------------
GTDude
25 years GM experience

Mac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2002 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacClick Here to visit Mac's HomePageDirect Link to This Post
Bump
Heretic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2002 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HereticDirect Link to This Post
How good is that DVD player?

I might be picking it up later on this week if its any good.

Later,
Chris

sloth85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2002 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sloth85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by al_fair:
Thanks David - Cant Wait!

Cliff - have you looked at the lcd's at http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=41

Al

Some of those prices on there are insane. What's the catch? Now I'm thinking of installing a LCD system after my swap gets done.

------------------

Dan
1985 Silver GT

LT1 Conversion has begun......

David Bartlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2002 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettDirect Link to This Post
I like my Apex 1100w better then my $250 Samsung M305. However the Samsung has a better feeling remote and a display on the drive. If your going to buy the 1100w make sure you get the 1meg version NOT the 512K model. Both the same price, and the only way to tell is the by the serial numbers.
Mac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2002 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MacClick Here to visit Mac's HomePageSend a Private Message to MacDirect Link to This Post
*bump* /chants more more more...
PFF
System Bot
Fiero_24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2002 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_24Send a Private Message to Fiero_24Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Bartlett:
Ok I wasn't going to post the pics of the lcd to it was finished (its in temporary fit right now) but what the hey. I'll the final pics soon.

And if you wondering how I got that start-up screen I flashed the eprom.

Can you explain flashing the eprom? By the way, GREAT WORK!!!! That is a very nice setup you have done.

David Bartlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2002 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettDirect Link to This Post
More Pictures.

*my cars not normally this messy. I ended up making the wires all nice looking and the circuit boards were mounted properly.

This is how I originally entended to mount the player, but I found it was too flashy.

To flash the firware you need some software, a cd burner and some time. More info at a site call
http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=25

quantum1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2002 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for quantum1Send a Private Message to quantum1Direct Link to This Post
bump...I'm want to know how to use the flash the eprom thing.
Mac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2002 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MacClick Here to visit Mac's HomePageSend a Private Message to MacDirect Link to This Post
Bump! Any chance of a wiring diagram for the power on the dvd player?

Thanks!

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2002 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
This is SUCH a sweet setup! Is the DVD player connected directly to 12 volts, or did you build a Q&D Power supply for it?VERY NICE WORK!
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2002 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:
This is SUCH a sweet setup! Is the DVD player connected directly to 12 volts, or did you build a Q&D Power supply for it?VERY NICE WORK!

Ditto. What is the output of the 120v power supply? 12 volts? Or did you use a DC/AC converter?

Roy

[This message has been edited by mrfixit58 (edited 06-28-2002).]

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2002 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

mrfixit58

3330 posts
Member since Jul 99
<bump>
David Bartlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2002 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I haven't got back to you guys.

Powersupply Questions:

THE EASY WAY...
-buy a 175watt dc to ac converter from Canadian Tire (39bucks cdn) or from Autozone and chop the plug end off. Then wire that into your ignition and find a good ground on your car. I chose the to use the ignition from the radio (can't remember the colour of the wire but I think its yellow) and slice it in there. Even better wire in a switch on the ground side so you can turn it off even while driving.

I'll post a schematic if theres enough interest.

HARD WAY:

Well soon to be easy way is to create a board that bypasses the ac to dc converter that the 1100w needs. I mad one but I'm still in the testing phase. Make sure its reliable, safe and small.

[This message has been edited by David Bartlett (edited 06-28-2002).]

The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2002 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
SOOOOO... does the sound come outta the little speakers in the sony screen or the fiero sound system?

------------------
1986 GT 4spd> Suspension Techniques Springs, Poly Bushings, Bosal Brospeed 4.5" Exhaust Tips, Cross Drilled Rotors

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock