Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Ok..here are the pics of the gas door after mods...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Ok..here are the pics of the gas door after mods... by Zoom88
Started on: 06-26-2002 08:35 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: Zoom88 on 06-28-2002 07:00 PM
Zoom88

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2002 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post
It was cut out of aluminum from scratch, can't explain the brass pieces...something I found rumaging boxes of parts because I couldn't find any screws or bolts I thought looked right that weren't to big or require the ring to be to thick. They were a little long so we cut and threaded the inside of the hole on the back side or small end so I could use 10-32 screws on the backside of the door to hold the plate on.
Not sure if I like it polished or not. I will just have to leave it on and for now and see what I think ...might add some black screen of some sort in the inner white area.
All I can tell you since I did not do the machining is that it is 5" inside diameter (we put a thin lip on the outer edge to cover the edge of the cap itself). All I did was give him a picture and the 5" diameter , told him I wanted it beveled on both edges with a lip on the outer edge and to put 8 of those brass pieces in it evenly spaced. The cap is not round and was trimed to fit the inside Diameter of the ring. Positioned the ring on the door so all the holes would miss everything such as hinge and lock and then marked and drilled 8 holes in the door that would allow the smaller end of the brass piece to fit in.
Screws on from the back side with modified very short 10-32 screws. Nothing fancy but is something alittle different anyway.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2002 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
I think that looks real good! What was the final cost to get the piece machined?

------------------

Modified 2.8 (Soon to be a 383 V8 )
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension
New web site! www.dirtyratracing.org

Zoom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2002 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by chester:
I think that looks real good! What was the final cost to get the piece machined?

$0.00 , I work at a Major Chemical Plant...one of the machinest made it for me in his spare time !!! Thanks for the compliment.

cadaver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2002 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cadaverSend a Private Message to cadaverDirect Link to This Post
Not bad. What I might try is a thin piece of aluminum on the door under the ring. That way it will appear that the whole door is aluminum and polished.
The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2002 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
or put some carbon fibre on the inside of the ring... but its friggen sweet the way it is!
Zoom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2002 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by cadaver:
Not bad. What I might try is a thin piece of aluminum on the door under the ring. That way it will appear that the whole door is aluminum and polished.

Good idea, I will try that... I can cut a piece out of the stuff used to cover insulated pipe, its aluminum, smooth, thin and looks brushed the contrast between polished and brushed might be just what it needs. Thanks Cadaver...I don't think I would have thought of using it if you hadn't mentioned the idea...I think that it will be ideal. We will know tommorrow evening !!!
Thanks everyone for the comments and ideas.

[This message has been edited by Zoom88 (edited 06-26-2002).]

Justinjob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2002 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinjobSend a Private Message to JustinjobDirect Link to This Post
That looks really cool. It kind of makes me think of the gas doors on the newer Mitsubishi Eclipses. I wish I had a machinist at my disposal

------------------

'86 Pontiac Fiero SE 2.8
'75 Fiat 124 Sport Spider 1800
'88 Ford T-Bird 2.3 Turbo Coupe

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2002 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm... I've been planning a VehiCross gas door assembly (have had the parts for at least 2 years), but after seeing this- I may go the simpler route! ...then again maybe not

Vechicross gas door:

Nice work BTW!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 06-27-2002).]

JMunilla87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2002 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMunilla87GTSend a Private Message to JMunilla87GTDirect Link to This Post
I like that gas door Rob; what's the problem with mounting it? I was thinking of doing something similar.

------------------

Under Construction

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2002 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JMunilla87GT:
I like that gas door Rob; what's the problem with mounting it? I was thinking of doing something similar.

There is no obvious direct way of installing it, and it's slightly (1/8"-1/4") larger in diameter than the existing opening. So, do I have a shop turn down the diameter of the Vehicross door, or try to enlarge the existing opening just enough?

Also, there is the door opening mechanism issue... what to rig, where to rig it, and how? Just some technical issues. I hope to get it figured out soon!

Here's my photoshop rendering:

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2002 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
VERY NICE WORK! However......I don't like it on the car......each to his own.

Phil

------------------
GTDude
25 years GM experience

PFF
System Bot
Zoom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2002 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post
Ok, I modified it a little...hard to tell (looks a whole lot better in person and when viewing the entire car it actually looks like it belongs !) but the center is a brushed aluminum now (cut from a roll of flashing). I tried several different centers, polished, one with a gold tint etc, I think I like this one the best overall.
THanks MinnGreenGT for the compliment....I really like the one you have. The door on the Fiero is not exactly round and has a slight bow in it from top to bottom where it follows the body of the car....had to bend the ring slightly to make it match. But it turned out great and actually is a better and closer fit now. Might look cool with the words Formula or Fiero in a gold raised lettering to put at a angle from say 10:00 to 4:00 position in the center area.

[This message has been edited by Zoom88 (edited 06-28-2002).]

Zoom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2002 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Zoom88

3838 posts
Member since Oct 2001
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2002 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Sweet. How about a pic of the whole car from a bit farther away...
JEDI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2002 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JEDISend a Private Message to JEDIDirect Link to This Post
Very nice, and ironicaly I was thinking of what something like that would look like just before spotting the thread. Personally, I think it would look better on a black or silver car, but it looks nice.

Again...to each his own.

Has anyone tried to use the gas door from the Mitsu Eclipse 3G

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2002 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JEDI:
Has anyone tried to use the gas door from the Mitsu Eclipse 3G

I checked on it... it's too big, and too curved for the body. The ones that I've found closest to the Fiero Bodyshape- are the Izuzu Vehicross (as shown in my post above), and the ones commonly found on sport-bike gas tanks.

Zoom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2002 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:
Sweet. How about a pic of the whole car from a bit farther away...

I had planned on it ....but it has been raining and I don't want to take it out in the rain...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock