Started on: 03-27-2002 10:38 AM
Replies: 18
Last post by: Formula88 on 03-27-2002 10:58 PM
mrfixit58

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2002 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
I'm buying new tires for the 87 GT. I'm using the stock lace wheels and want directional tires. I've narrowed my search to two tires that are available from the Tire Rack:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/bridgestone/bs_re950.jsp

or
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/goodyear/gy_ehp.jsp

Would you go with the stock sizes: Front 205 60R 15 - Rear 215 60R15; or, 215 front and rear so the tires can be rotated front/back. Or, go with the Goodyears that are available in front 215 & rears 225. This is the size of tire I have on the car now and the steering is heavy.
Or, other tire suggestions (please include sources and approx price).

Thanks,

------------------
Roy :D
Just another stock Blue 87 GT
Suncoast Fieros

JUST ADDED: YELLOW 1988 GT w/ T-Tops, 5-Speed, and Performance Sound.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2002 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I've got the Bridgestone Potenza RE950's on my Formula and love them! I think they're about the best you can get in the stock sizes. Go back and compare the specs on the 2 tires you're looking at. For $9 more, the Bridgestone beats the Goodyear in EVERY survey catagorey and has a longer treadwear.

Go with the Bridgestones. You'll love them!

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 03-27-2002).]

Toogy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2002 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToogySend a Private Message to ToogyDirect Link to This Post
If you want a directional tire and don't care about snow performance look at the Yokohama AVS DB. They are supposed to be super quite and have great handling. Plus they look sweet. Not to bad a price. They are available in 205/60R15 & 225/60R15.
Here is a link to them on tirerack

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/yokohama/yo_avs_db.jsp

------------------

Toogy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2002 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToogySend a Private Message to ToogyDirect Link to This Post

Toogy

465 posts
Member since Nov 2001
Another great tire I have read good reviews on are the Dunlop SP Sport A2. They are not directional but they are abit cheaper and compare nicely to the ultra high performance tires. They are available in 205/60R15, 215/60R15 & 225/60R15
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/dunlop/du_sp_a2.jsp
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2002 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
I have the Eagle HP's on my '88 GT and haven't had any problems with them. They have great wet traction and do above average in the snow too.

The Bridgestones look nice too, but I went with the Eagles because I could charge them to my Goodyear credit card!

chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2002 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
For directional tires I like the Dunlop SP9000's. Excellent wet/dry traction.

Rob D.

------------------

Modified 2.8
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension

Toogy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2002 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToogySend a Private Message to ToogyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chester:
For directional tires I like the Dunlop SP9000's. Excellent wet/dry traction.

Rob D.

Those are nice tires, but I don't think they make them in the size he is looking for.

FieroBUZZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2002 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBUZZSend a Private Message to FieroBUZZDirect Link to This Post
Go with the 205/225 combo. Tire rotation is highly over rated.
Gary
Haze_Performance

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2002 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Haze_PerformanceSend a Private Message to Haze_PerformanceDirect Link to This Post
You could go with 225/50/15 all around. Thats what Oreif is running. VERY VERY nice tire.

------------------

ClassicFiero.com

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2002 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toogy:
Those are nice tires, but I don't think they make them in the size he is looking for.

Ah, yes they do. You can look at the specs here
http://www.dunloptire.com/sp9000/spec.html

Rob D.

------------------

Modified 2.8
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2002 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
There are quite a few Fiero owners around here that are now running the Goodyear Eagle HP's. Everyone seems to like them, although most of the people that have them don't drive their cars in the snow. Enough of them recommended them to me that I bought a set...but I only have a few (less than 50) miles on them, so I can't give you a first hand recommendation yet.

------------------
Mike
86 GT 4 Speed

PFF
System Bot
gargoyle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2002 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gargoyleSend a Private Message to gargoyleDirect Link to This Post
I have got the Dunlop Sport A2s on my GT. I ran 205s all the way around in the winter and was quite happy with them . They work very well in the dry also. I'm going to replace the 205s in the back with 215. That gap back there is really bad, butt (pun intended)it would make a plumber proud. You won't go wrong with the Dunlops.
Toogy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2002 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToogySend a Private Message to ToogyDirect Link to This Post

Ah, yes they do. You can look at the specs here
http://www.dunloptire.com/sp9000/spec.html

Rob D.

Um.... No they don't. They don't make any 60 series 15 inch models. That is what he is looking for.

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2002 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toogy:
Um.... No they don't. They don't make any 60 series 15 inch models. That is what he is looking for.

My bad. For some reason I saw the 50 as 60.

Been one of those days!

But he was looking for other suggestions as well, yeah, yeah, thats what it was

Rob D.

------------------

Modified 2.8
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension

[This message has been edited by chester (edited 03-27-2002).]

Toogy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2002 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToogySend a Private Message to ToogyDirect Link to This Post

My bad. For some reason I saw the 50 as 60.

Been one of those days!

Rob D.

I hear ya

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2002 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
What about the Falken brand tires. I found these and the prices are great!
http://www.ec-securehost.com/OnlineTires.com/Falken_ZE-502_6065.html#FalkenZE-5026065

Roy

cultcar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2002 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cultcarSend a Private Message to cultcarDirect Link to This Post
You should try to go a plus size larger than stock, but keep them in the ratio of the originals. 215/225 works if you can get them in a 55 profile. 225/235 in a 50 profile is best if they're OK by the manufacturer to place on those stock rim widths.

Also, directionals actually make the turning of the wheel easier.

As for brands, excellent values for dry/wet in a directional tread are Sumitomo HTRZII - grippy, cheap, but heavy. Also, Kumho Ecsta 712 - grippy, cheap, not so heavy, and higher treadwear rating than Sumitomos.

Good luck!!!

stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post03-27-2002 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
Definately run the bigger tires in back. On the notchbacks it looks ok to have all the same size, but for some reason on GT's it produces an optical illusion that makes the fronts appear bigger.

My tires are Bridgestones. I really like them. I have Turanza Revo H tires, which are very cutting edge technology tires with a split compound. That means as they get older, they actually grip better. They're expensive though. I paid $500 for the set in stock sizes.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2002 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by cultcar:
You should try to go a plus size larger than stock, but keep them in the ratio of the originals. 215/225 works if you can get them in a 55 profile. 225/235 in a 50 profile is best if they're OK by the manufacturer to place on those stock rim widths.

Also, directionals actually make the turning of the wheel easier.

As for brands, excellent values for dry/wet in a directional tread are Sumitomo HTRZII - grippy, cheap, but heavy. Also, Kumho Ecsta 712 - grippy, cheap, not so heavy, and higher treadwear rating than Sumitomos.

Good luck!!!

Plus sizing works with larger rims, but if you want to keep the original 15" rims and go with 50 series tires, you'll need 245/50-15 on the rear and 235/50-15 up front. You can't find 235/50's much, so you'd have to go with 225/50-15's. These are 2-3% smaller in circumference than the stock sizes. Good luck finding tires in a 55 series. Trust me, I looked. Some are available, but none that are appropriate sizes for a Fiero.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock