Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  The "Secret Project" is no longer secret... (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
The "Secret Project" is no longer secret... by wkayl
Started on: 02-23-2002 07:00 PM
Replies: 40
Last post by: GTDude on 03-06-2002 09:56 AM
wkayl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2002 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wkaylSend a Private Message to wkaylDirect Link to This Post
I know some may not think this is a big deal, but. I am tired of sleeping in a tent on my overnight trips to South Dakota. I took it to the Mile High Fieros of Colorado get-together today. 80MPH on the interstate isn't too bad. Now to find out how it tows after it is enclosed. It will come in handy for the Dells run (any way those are the plans at this time). Here is the start of my camper-sleeper. It will be 7'6" by 3'6" with the sleeping compartment 5'10" (I'm 5'7") by 3'4" inside and 4' high at it's highest point. It will have a storage compartment in the rear large enough to hold my 110 volt generator, 5 gal gas can, and my tool box. Outside covering is still to be determined.

------------------

Dnyee's 88 Formula, Casey's 86GT, Wayne's 86GT.
We consider my wife as being "Fiero Challenged"

[This message has been edited by wkayl (edited 02-23-2002).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KlaX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2002 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KlaXClick Here to visit KlaX's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlaXDirect Link to This Post
Cool cool, should be pretty funny, how big are you? are you sure your gonna fit comfortably in there?

------------------
Damn I wish I had a Fiero....

KlaX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2002 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KlaXClick Here to visit KlaX's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlaXDirect Link to This Post

KlaX

611 posts
Member since Feb 2002
Ah **** Im dumb, 5'7", you might wanna add in a couple extra inches, jsut in case you wanna stretch out or lady pegasus and her cottage cheese hoochies stop by to see you.

------------------
Damn I wish I had a Fiero....

AgaricX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2002 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AgaricXClick Here to visit AgaricX's HomePageSend a Private Message to AgaricXDirect Link to This Post
I really shouldn't be laughing.

------------------

'85 SE 3800SC 5 Spd
I WANT A FASTBACK!!!

[This message has been edited by AgaricX (edited 02-23-2002).]

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2002 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Looks a little drafty.

------------------
Roy :D
Just another stock Blue 87 GT
Suncoast Fieros

JUST ADDED: YELLOW 1988 GT w/ T-Tops, 5-Speed, and Performance Sound.

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2002 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
4" high at the highest point...
you must not be very thick...
<edit> I misread the 4' and thought it said 4"

Have you thought about using some clear plastic to cover it with... It would be like having a glass trailer!! That would be different!!

[This message has been edited by Smoooooth GT (edited 02-23-2002).]

rodmcneill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2002 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodmcneillSend a Private Message to rodmcneillDirect Link to This Post
I think it was back in the 50's they had mini trailers like that. I saw one recently, I thought it was kinda cute.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2002 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rodmcneill:
I think it was back in the 50's they had mini trailers like that. I saw one recently, I thought it was kinda cute.

I teased him about that at our club meeting today.......it looks like an old Airstream trailer.

Once it's done it will look nice......all that's done right now is the bare frame and it actually looks better in person than in the photos.

I can't wait until it's done!

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2002 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
got any pictures of your hitch? With the axle that far back, it should tow ok, provided it never starts whipping; it's gonna catch some wind from oncomming big trucks..
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2002 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Great idea, post pictures of te finished project. I may try something similar. I bought my Fiero with a custom installed hitch. The previous owner had a jet-ski that he pulled around. I was going to remove it at first, then thought about buying a small travel trailer to put extra luggage in for trips where the trunck would be too small.
6uldv8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2002 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 6uldv8Send a Private Message to 6uldv8Direct Link to This Post
they call them taerdrop trailers, i have a lot of links in my favorites on them. I've always wanted to build one but never had the time. they really aren't bad to sleep in. good luck lets see it when its done.
PFF
System Bot
6uldv8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2002 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 6uldv8Send a Private Message to 6uldv8Direct Link to This Post

6uldv8

11 posts
Member since Dec 2001
teardrop trailers, sorry type faster than i think
4BanGinFun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2002 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4BanGinFunClick Here to visit 4BanGinFun's HomePageSend a Private Message to 4BanGinFunDirect Link to This Post
thats cool wkayl be sure it gets painted the same colour as your fiero too. you should use tin or some other form or sheet metal give it some wieght. looks cool sofar keep it up! and send us the after pics

Chris

------------------
see my toys click here

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2002 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Smoooooth GT:
[B]

Have you thought about using some clear plastic to cover it with... It would be like having a glass trailer!! That would be different!!

B]

you know that I'm just kidding...

NOCONES

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2002 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NOCONESSend a Private Message to NOCONESDirect Link to This Post
Looks great, but you might want to consider moving your storage up to the front. Generators and tool boxes can weigh alot, and from the looks of the rest of the trailer you might end up with negative tounge weight (that's bad) If you put the storage in the front it should be beter (that's good). Now if your planing on having the bed oover the storage, just make the storage full length, with the generator up front tool box in the middle and camping suplies filling in around them (that's best )

Great effor, can't wait to see it finished

wkayl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wkaylSend a Private Message to wkaylDirect Link to This Post

Looks a little drafty.

Yea, but it tows like a dream.

Great, my wife is already leery about sleeping in it. That idea would really put her over the edge.

Looks great, but you might want to consider moving your storage up to the front. Generators and tool boxes can weigh alot, and from the looks of the rest of the trailer you might end up with negative tounge weight (that's bad)

As for the weight distribution, I started out with a 4’x4’ trailer. I added almost 4’ to it. Of that 3’ is out front with 1’ to the rear. After I get all done if there isn’t enough weight on the tong, I’ll add a box to hold the gas can up front.

you should use tin or some other form or sheet metal give it some wieght.

Plan was to cover the outside with a sheet of paneling facing in and then covering that with a sheet of white rough plastic (the kind you see in public bathrooms). If you look at some motor homes, the doors are covered with this material. At the meeting today one of the members said he works at a metal fabricating place and can get sheets of almost anything. We talked about covering the top with aluminum. The ideas are only limited by $$$$.

got any pictures of your hitch?

Here is a picture of the hitch.

Here is how it is bolted on (you can see the 1 bolt on each side referenced in the picture above).

And the trailer before I started this project (with me standing on the hitch).

[This message has been edited by wkayl (edited 02-24-2002).]

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wkayl:

Here is how it is bolted on (you can see the 1 bolt on each side referenced in the picture above).

Are these two bolts the only thing holding the hitch to the car? I don't think that would be all, but that's all I could see in the pictures. If that is all....you have a design change in mind? I sure wouldn't trust those two bolts to hold all that force, especially with the weight and leverage you're giving it.

Just practicing being a nerd, hope I'm not spoiling any fun.

I think the trailer will look cool...little cramped for me, but cool. I've considered a mini trailer many times, as my Fiero is my only vehicle right now and I have to move (yes, move everything) from Michigan to Alabama and vice versa every three months!

Keep us updated!

Bryce
88 GT

JohnF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnFSend a Private Message to JohnFDirect Link to This Post
I know building your trailer is a lot of fun but....,

You might want to rethink the generator thing. Gen sets that provide clean, regulated 110 vac are very heavy, very expensive and usually have to be refilled with gas after a relatively short period of time.

12 vdc battery is a lot less useful but a lot lighter and more reliable. Most appliances can be found that use the dc power.

Also, I don't think the Fiero is "rated" to tow any weight so I don't think anyone has a real idea of what weights can reliably be towed.

Your intro lists 3 items that together will weigh 200 lbs. Verify what the trailer dry weight is and add carefully. 10 to 15 percent of the weight must be on the tongue/hitch for stability. Also, make sure your axle is rated to carry the weight you are adding.

For kicks, this little gem dry weight is 950 lbs. [url] http://www.casitatraveltrailers.com/show.html[/url]. I wonder how it would tow/look behind a Fiero?

Fiero_24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_24Send a Private Message to Fiero_24Direct Link to This Post
Thay is great!!! I love it!!!!!!

------------------

New High performace
2.8 and lots of new parts.
http://www.geocities.com/fiero_24
1987 GT

JohnF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnFSend a Private Message to JohnFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnF:
.http://www.casitatraveltrailers.com/show.html

Delete the [/url] from the end and the url works.

I hate UBB, Cliff!

wkayl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wkaylSend a Private Message to wkaylDirect Link to This Post

Are these two bolts the only thing holding the hitch to the car?

At this time, yes. I have a plan designed to attach it farther back on the frame also.

You might want to rethink the generator thing. Gen sets that provide clean, regulated 110 vac are very heavy, very expensive and usually have to be refilled with gas after a relatively short period of time.

The generator I have is a Honda EU2000i http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/genligframe.htm It weighs 46 lbs, runs 4-15 hrs depending load. I am going to heat the camper with a small ceramic heater and cool it with an electric fan. The generator runs quiet at 59db (about normal speech) so it can be used in most campgrounds.

Also, I don't think the Fiero is "rated" to tow any weight so I don't think anyone has a real idea of what weights can reliably be towed.

On page 2-2 of my 86GT owners manual it lists towing cap at 1000lb (I estimate finished trailer and cargo will be around 700-800lb). It also says load cap is 400lb. At that rate no one over 175 could ride with me and with my 12 pack of Diet Coke in a cooler they couldn't be over 150lb.(no fat jokes please)

As you can see, I have done a little thinking and planning in this project. I have seen trailers made out of the rear section of Fieros. I have no "formal" schooling on building things like this, but growing up on a farm where you built what you needed and learning from my dad how to build things is a large learning experience. We had an iron salvage business for many years where we hauled many many tons of scrap farm machinery. We built many trailers, hitches, and tow booms for the rear of pickup trucks. BTW, no offense taken on questioning different aspects of the project. I have seen many “cob” jobs out there by people who “think” they can weld. This is a great Forum for input of different ideas and all are welcome.

[This message has been edited by wkayl (edited 02-24-2002).]

PFF
System Bot
JohnF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnFSend a Private Message to JohnFDirect Link to This Post
You seem to have done your homework. Now, keep us up to date!
artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
I love it! That's too cute for words!!!

Going to be *very* useful for shows too, I hope to see it one day!

Please oh please cover it in aluminum or Stainless Steel sheet (ala Airstream) that would be SO COOL!

Best!
Ben,

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red. "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
88 Formula, Northstar, Silver, In-Progreess. -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

6uldv8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 6uldv8Send a Private Message to 6uldv8Direct Link to This Post
here is the one i want to build
Lady Pegasus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lady PegasusSend a Private Message to Lady PegasusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KlaX:
you might wanna add in a couple extra inches, just in case lady pegasus and her cottage cheese hoochies stop by to see you.

I ain't got cottage cheese hoocies!
And I'm sure his Wife would love that idea. HA!

------------------
***CAUTION!!***
Sig under construction!

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2002 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wkayl:
[QUOTE]Are these two bolts the only thing holding the hitch to the car?

At this time, yes. I have a plan designed to attach it farther back on the frame also.
[/QUOTE]

So... where did you get the hitch/reciever assembly from? I'm planning a trailer for my Fiero as well (a bit different in design though ) but I've been tossing around different towing setup ideas... and I really like your removable design. Any more details on that & the parts you used?

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2002 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnF:
For kicks, this little gem dry weight is 950 lbs. I wonder how it would tow/look behind a Fiero?
You mean this? Okay, I don't know squat about trailers, but I really doubt this could be pulled by a stock Fiero...

Wolfhound

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2002 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
Wkayl, Notice the opening area on the rear of the bike trailor above. You might want to incorporate that idea, as a pop up, in your trailor to gain a bit of extra space when the trailor is in use.
JohnF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2002 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnFSend a Private Message to JohnFDirect Link to This Post
Hey Chuck,

The Casita 13' is a great little self-contained trailer.

I saw one successfully pulled by a 4 banger Honda.

It is BELOW the rated tow weight (dry, I realize).

It could be fun to try one!

------------------

You can have all the SPEED you can afford!

wkayl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2002 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wkaylSend a Private Message to wkaylDirect Link to This Post

where did you get the hitch/reciever assembly from?

It started out as a hitch for a Chev Corsica. I just added 2x2 angle iron to bolt it to the lower cradel. I used grade 5 bolts. I can stand on it as in the picture above and it won't give. Mr Fiero pointed out that with the load I'm now going to pull it should be attached back by the rear cradel for safety and backup.

Notice the opening area on the rear of the bike trailor above

My original design had a trunk almost identical to that trunk idea. I changed for reasons of possible leakage. I don't plan on holding parties in it so I only need a sleeping area.

Below are some crude pictures but they will give you an idea of the layout. I would take it outside for a side shot, but it is cold and snowy here.

red is cargo

blue is storage for inside stuff

green is the sleeping area

wkayl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2002 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wkaylSend a Private Message to wkaylDirect Link to This Post
YEA, all the welding is done and the cage is painted. Now to remount everything back on the trailer and start covering the outside.
PFF
System Bot
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2002 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Very neat Idea. Wish you good luck.
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2002 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
I suggest you use grade 8 bolts and self locking nuts when it comes time to do the final mounting of the hitch.
stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post03-05-2002 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
No galley? Usually that blue area holds a sink, propane stove, and icebox. My folks used to have an old teardrop when I was a kid. I would love to have one.
MaxDaemon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2002 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxDaemonClick Here to visit MaxDaemon's HomePageSend a Private Message to MaxDaemonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topcat:
put extra luggage in for trips where the trunck would be too small.

Trunk would be too small - why, whatever do you mean?

MaxDaemon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2002 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxDaemonClick Here to visit MaxDaemon's HomePageSend a Private Message to MaxDaemonDirect Link to This Post

MaxDaemon

933 posts
Member since Feb 2002

you should use tin or some other form or sheet metal give it some wieght.

My dad once made a canopy in much the same way. To cover it, he got used sheets of aluminum from the local newspaper (one-time-use sheets for offset printing, shiny on one side) and bent them around a 4X4 to give a quilted effect. Then he carefully screwed (or nailed, don't remember) them to the framework. It looked pretty dang professional and cool. My dad is very creative!

Vic

wkayl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2002 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wkaylSend a Private Message to wkaylDirect Link to This Post
I am using the hardened bolts now on the hitch. I also am going to use them to bolt the frame of the camper to the trailer.
I did some more work tonight. I got the flooring material glued to the floor and everything bolted back on the frame. Next I will enclose the "trunk" and after that start to enclose the cabin. Here is a shot of it with the "trunk" loaded. The project will be on hold for a few days as I have a funeral in Redfield, S Dak to attend on Thursday (my Aunt passed away last Sunday evening) and I have to work this Sat and Sun. Looks like Monday is the next day to continue.

[This message has been edited by wkayl (edited 03-05-2002).]

Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2002 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post
Wayne - are you going to bring the camper to the next meeting? It is looking good.

My prayers go out to your family for your aunt.

------------------
- Flamberge

Sour Lemon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2002 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sour LemonSend a Private Message to Sour LemonDirect Link to This Post
I found the link to that motorcycle trailer

http://quicksilvertrailers.com/lazybum.htm

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2002 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
As posted earlier, be prepaired for the wind from trucks.

While towing my Fiero with my Cherokee, I couldn't believe how much they would move my vehicle when passing or over taking.

It's quite a feeling that still scares the poop out of me.

Looks like a fun project. - Hey, a weight saving idea, Why not use those inflatable chairs / beds ? lol

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock