Is the Audi TT fuel door a drop in? by mrtgman
Started on: 12-19-2001 11:54 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: MinnGreenGT on 01-08-2002 12:06 PM
mrtgman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2001 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrtgmanClick Here to visit mrtgman's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrtgmanDirect Link to This Post
Is this the best fit for a Fiero fuel door mod or are there others with the same look that might be easier and maybe..hmmmmm.."less expensive?

------------------
86 gt owned since new!Currently in body shop adding deck vent, hood vent, mecham side scoops and bright yellow pearl paint job!http://www.palmbeachloan.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2001 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopDirect Link to This Post
From what I've read on the forum here the TT is not a drop in deal, modifications are necessary due to the curvature of the TT gas door. You could always buy on of those stickers that go over your gas door to give the appearance of one.
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2001 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I think I've probably responded to every one of these threads... Oh well!

The closet's "aircraft-style" door in dimension to the Fiero opening is the Izuzu Vehicross. I bought one (nearly 2 years ago) and just haven't installed it (next spring with my other body mods). It matches the body shape of the Fiero, and it's diameter is only slightly (1/4" at most) larger than the existing hole. Also you can get all the parts, from the dealer, for only about $85 (the basic Audi part is $300+).

JC Whitney's "Sport & Compact Car" catalog has the stickers that fit over the current door for about $12.

Someone else has a "quickfill" door on theirs, and yet another has one from a Harley Davidson.

Run a search in General Discussion for "Gas Door" or "Fuel Door" and you'll probably come up with a few more similiar threads.

------------------

mrtgman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2001 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrtgmanClick Here to visit mrtgman's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrtgmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:
I think I've probably responded to every one of these threads... Oh well!

The closet's "aircraft-style" door in dimension to the Fiero opening is the Izuzu Vehicross. I bought one (nearly 2 years ago) and just haven't installed it (next spring with my other body mods). It matches the body shape of the Fiero, and it's diameter is only slightly (1/4" at most) larger than the existing hole. Also you can get all the parts, from the dealer, for only about $85 (the basic Audi part is $300+).

JC Whitney's "Sport & Compact Car" catalog has the stickers that fit over the current door for about $12.

Someone else has a "quickfill" door on theirs, and yet another has one from a Harley Davidson.

Run a search in General Discussion for "Gas Door" or "Fuel Door" and you'll probably come up with a few more similiar threads.

How many parts are there to the vehicross fuel door assembly? The local dealer is telling me there is the door, the back plate to secure the door to the vehicle and the lock. All totaled cost arount $150 +.

------------------
86 gt owned since new!Currently in body shop adding deck vent, hood vent, mecham side scoops and bright yellow pearl paint job!http://www.palmbeachloan.com

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2001 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrtgman:
How many parts are there to the vehicross fuel door assembly? The local dealer is telling me there is the door, the back plate to secure the door to the vehicle and the lock. All totaled cost arount $150 +.

Let's see... I got basically everything but the lock itself, and the quantity of screws to go around the outside (I can get those cheaper elsewhere). I think I can modify it to use the original Fiero door release mechanism. And I didn't really want to carry around an extra key, especially an Izuzu one! Without the lock- your price should drop noticably.

88-DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2001 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88-DOHCSend a Private Message to 88-DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Was trying to find a picture of what the Isuzu fuel door looks like, but was unsuccessful. Is it similar to the Audi TT door (chromed, etc..)? I too have been toying with putting the Audi TT fuel door, but havn't got to that point yet and if the Isuzu door is similar yet would be easier to install, I might do that instead.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2001 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88-DOHC:
Was trying to find a picture of what the Isuzu fuel door looks like, but was unsuccessful. Is it similar to the Audi TT door (chromed, etc..)? I too have been toying with putting the Audi TT fuel door, but havn't got to that point yet and if the Isuzu door is similar yet would be easier to install, I might do that instead.

The Izuzu fuel door is not polished... rather is is (powder?) coated dark gray.

It's on the back right corner... see it?

Anyway- it's the same "aircraft/racing" style fuel door. -Hope that helps.

88-DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2001 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88-DOHCSend a Private Message to 88-DOHCDirect Link to This Post
yeah, I see it. It almost looks alot like the new Mitsubishi Eclipse fuel door, which IMO looks horrible because it looks like a fake plastic door instead of the real thing (like the TT fuel door).
mrtgman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2001 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrtgmanClick Here to visit mrtgman's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrtgmanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Minn!

I am going to try and have my body shop guys do this mod for me. I am going to pass on the lock. I was considering the decal from JC Whitneys but theres nothing like the real thing!

------------------

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2001 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88-DOHC:
yeah, I see it. It almost looks alot like the new Mitsubishi Eclipse fuel door, which IMO looks horrible because it looks like a fake plastic door instead of the real thing (like the TT fuel door).

Well, I believe that the new eclipse does come with a plastic gas door- the metal one is an added option.

If you ever get a chance to look at one up close, you may be surprised... the Vehicross door is quite nice- and heavy duty. And it's the closest thing to the Fiero in size (the eclipse is huge in comparison). Although you may want to look into sport bikes... I know that many of them use similiar designs as well.

Here's some closeups of the Vehicross door:

Closed, Open lock door, Open door, back shot

Overlayed photos showing height of door.
I plan to cut down the Fiero's "cup" to compensate for the difference.

Another overlayed photo showing diameter difference.
The Opening on the Fiero may need to be enlarged 1/4" or so...

mrgtman- have been quoted from a body shop on this? Just curious as to what they're planning on charging?

88-DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2001 04:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88-DOHCSend a Private Message to 88-DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the pictures. It does look better then the Eclipse fuel door. Just dunno if its exactly what I am looking for (yet).
PFF
System Bot
newfie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2002 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfieSend a Private Message to newfieDirect Link to This Post
I have a catalog here that has the fuel doors from a company called XtremeFX. I did a bit of searching, only pic I could find was on a car here,
http://stangnet.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=166925&page=2

The catalog I have list 5 or 6 different diameters you can order them in. I don't know the quality of this product but the pics looking pretty good. I also found that XtremeFX is made by a company called Rally Accessories Inc. at this site www.rallymfg.com
Hope this helps.

mrtgman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2002 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrtgmanClick Here to visit mrtgman's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrtgmanDirect Link to This Post
Hi Minn,

They may charge me extra as I did not plan on this mod when I originally got a quote. I dropped the door off yesterday and my bodyshop guy feels pretty confident he can make it work. Interesting that without the lock option the door will not stay closed by itself. I had gone to a hardware store and we figured if we glued some magnets where the lock would normally go and attach a metal striker bar to the outer ring it should keep it closed. We'll see.

------------------

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2002 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrtgman:
Hi Minn,

They may charge me extra as I did not plan on this mod when I originally got a quote. I dropped the door off yesterday and my bodyshop guy feels pretty confident he can make it work. Interesting that without the lock option the door will not stay closed by itself. I had gone to a hardware store and we figured if we glued some magnets where the lock would normally go and attach a metal striker bar to the outer ring it should keep it closed. We'll see.

Interesting... I was hoping to try to adapt the original Fiero release mechanism to the door. Otherwise- the magnets are a good idea! I'll have to remember that. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

And ask lot's of "how" questions on that one

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock