Started on: 12-10-2001 03:09 AM
Replies: 25
Last post by: Joe Torma on 12-12-2001 12:52 AM
Joe Torma

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2001 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Excuse the crappy pics(don't have a digital camera).

Well, there are a few issues to resolve and a few things I want to try. But, here is my first attempt. I tried black face and lit marks. Looks decent!

Next, I am going to try a glowing face. I have to get some supplies for that though.

The purple sheet is red when off...

When 12V is fed to it....

Lights off, very dark pic...

I was kinda expecting to be a lot brighter, but I guess there's a reason its called indi-GLO. It definetley glows though! Pretty cool stuff!

It will get brighter as some of the sheet is eliminated. Other colors are brighter too.

------------------
Its never going to be finished...

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 12-10-2001).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Haze_Performance

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2001 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Haze_PerformanceSend a Private Message to Haze_PerformanceDirect Link to This Post
Lookin good Joe.......

I'm one of the few people here that is very interested in the EL type faces...

------------------

1984 Indy For Sale ~ Click Here

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2001 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Oooooooooooooooo... interesting...

Very cool possibilities with that stuff...

8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2001 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
sweeeet deal. Saves me the trouble of trying to make some
I am most interested in those fender badges too
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2001 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' Great! I sent a PM about setting up a set of my gauges with the Indiglo. The Ice-Blue... is it just white when not active? That'll make a difference as to how many layers I need to use on my faces.

------------------

Nashco

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2001 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully you can sell a few of these and then you can afford a good digital camera Or if somebody gets some of these and has a good camera, that'd work too. I'm sure some good pics would double your sales!

I'm interested to see what these look like...minus the squinting.

Bryce
88 GT

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2001 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2001 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joe Torma:
That guage face was time consuming.

Out of curiosity...why?

There might be an advantage to having printed faces that you can just stick on the EL paper... no alignment issues

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2001 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nashco:
Hopefully you can sell a few of these and then you can afford a good digital camera Bryce
88 GT

Yeah Yeah Yeah Any camera that I want is many hundreds of $$$ though!

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2001 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post

Joe Torma

3485 posts
Member since Jul 2001

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:
Out of curiosity...why?

There might be an advantage to having printed faces that you can just stick on the EL paper... no alignment issues

Well, it was the 1st attempt. Some assembly of the EL power contacts is required and the graphic I cut wasn't easy to weed(too many small pieces). Normal face-glo will be easier. And screen printing is an option, as is digital output with the right material.

8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2001 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Get a Sony Mavica FD 75 it is not top of the line but will take 35mm quality pics and can be bought for between 150 and 300 dollars US.
I have the 75 and love it!!!!!
E.B.
PFF
System Bot
Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2001 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
I just bought a brand new Sony DSC-S30 for 300 bucks on ebay including a 64 mb memory stick. Combined with a couple of zoom lenses I can borrow from work (20 bucks total retail) and the aperture, filter, flash, and zoom adjustments it will take quality pictures of just about anything well! I just wish I had a tripod to do better night shots, but I get by holding it against stuff.

Bryce
88 GT

kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2001 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
I'm also interested in your indiglo gauges. Get the digital camera and show more pics. I understand Minigreen is close to offering something similar. I would love to have choices. Thanks gays.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2001 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Kevin- Actually I'll be working with Joe on this one... he was able to line up an EL supplier (whereas I didn't have the time and/or resources available). So I'll be sending some of my printed faces- to be mated to his EL paper... together we'll get something rolling!
Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2001 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Ah yes! Teamwork! *For any Adam Sandler fans, yes, that's the goat *

Good deal guys...can't wait to see what you come up with. Does this mean we can get custom printed faces then? I know I've seen the instructions posted on a thread before for making the multiple layers; if we figure it out and do it properly, can we make our own custom faces???

Bryce
88 GT

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2001 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nashco:
...if we figure it out and do it properly, can we make our own custom faces???

Maybe! I'm probably going to get some supplies tomorrow to try.

Anyone want to sell me a digital camera?!

artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2001 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
Looking good man!

I've been working on some myself, not for Fiero gauges, but for the Auto Meter gauges I'm getting for the Northstar car.

I want a deep cobalt blue backlight (audi/newer VW)

Best!
Ben.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red           "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
88 Formula, Northstar, Silver                     -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2001 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by artherd:
I want a deep cobalt blue backlight (audi/newer VW)

I like those guages!
Are you using EL or some other lighting?

artherd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2001 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
Hi Joe, it will be EL (and LED) all the way!

LED to backlight LCD pannels (the Odometer is an LCD unit on the new gauges)

Still looking for suitably bright and most importantly, deep blue, EL material to make it happen.

I actually pickup the new tach tommorow (YES!) and the Speedo in a week.

Best!
Ben.

I like those guages!
Are you using EL or some other lighting?

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red           "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2001 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
I ordered new EL stuff today. Got white that is brighter than standard EL white. Its not as easy to work with though...must relaminate after cutting.

I now know why most all EL guage faces light up the same blue/green color. Because its the only color that's white when off!

TRiAD

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2001 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADDirect Link to This Post
White faces with dark blue numbers, etc, and bright blue glow of the whole face?

Also, what's this about fender badges...do they glow as well? Blue, please.

Lemmeknow!

triadtuning@hotmail.com

------------------

Merry Christmas!
Project MR1 ~ triadtuning@hotmail.com

Photoshop rendition of planned modifications
AIM ~ Michael Blue 72

PFF
System Bot
artherd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2001 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
cool, actual white?

I've found that laminating in a light translucent (think tracing paper, only a little lighter) print sheet will make a 'white' look during the day, but still transmit a fair amount of colour through at nightime.)

Does your EL source have any deep blues?

Best!
Ben.

I ordered new EL stuff today. Got white that is brighter than standard EL white. Its not as easy to work with though...must relaminate after cutting.

I now know why most all EL guage faces light up the same blue/green color. Because its the only color that's white when off!

------------------

Ben Cannon

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2001 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by artherd:
cool, actual white?

I've found that laminating in a light translucent (think tracing paper, only a little lighter) print sheet will make a 'white' look during the day, but still transmit a fair amount of colour through at nightime.)

Does your EL source have any deep blues?

Ben...
In the new material, they list Royal Blue.

I'll try lamintaing something with it.
I have a feeling I'll be calling them for more samples Let me know

This is getting expensive.

Joe

87GTZ34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2001 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTZ34Send a Private Message to 87GTZ34Direct Link to This Post
Joe,

What are you using for the EL driver? Also, what voltage (min - max) and freq are you driving it at?

TIA

Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2001 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post

This is getting expensive.

Fear not Joe, I'm sure if you get this all figured out, it will be worth your while; not only will you be admired by many and have some trying to copy you, you will also be able to sell them to make up for any costs, if not ending up making a fair profit.

Bryce
88 GT

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2001 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87GTZ34:
Joe,

What are you using for the EL driver? Also, what voltage (min - max) and freq are you driving it at?

TIA

A 12V to 100V 1600Hz inverter driver. WHy do you ask? They are dimmable.

I bet the sheets I have will probably get brighter when 14V is fed to them.

The new material requires a different driver...don't know the specs.

Thanks Nashco

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock