Started on: 10-18-2001 10:09 AM
Replies: 15
Last post by: Joe Torma on 10-19-2001 11:18 AM
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2001 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Well, I've got good news and bad news regarding the backlit indiglo gauge faces I've been working on ( https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/010075.html ). First the good: I've finally figured out the printing/production process to print them 4 complete sets at a time. Also I've gotten the first component installed on my GT (AUX gauge-see photo).

The bad news is that they don't work as intended. First off, the blue glow appears green due to the yellowish light of a stock 194 dash bulb (this could be fixed by using "hyperwhite" bulbs, which are rather expensive). Second- the variations in the plexiglass backing can be seen in the illumination, showing through quite clearly really. And the third "strike" is that the lighting is not powerful enough, or evenly distributed enough to light the entire panel evenly (see photo for all 3 problems).

Well... I'm certainly glad that I didn't start taking pre-orders or anything . I'm not giving up just yet though. If anyone can give me a number/contact for an EL paper supplier- I may try that route yet. For now I will probably produce a set of "regular" white face guages (only numbers are lit at night, not the face itself) so that I'm at least satisfied with their general appearance in the car. I'm also thinking of contacting some of the current manufacturers of indiglo gauge faces for imports- to see if they can produce at least a limited number of pieces (since I've got the vector-base graphics already complete). So that's about it for me... not a real happy night last night after it didn't work out.

BTW: for those who are also interested in my Clear GT Taillight conversion ( https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/010073.html ) I'm now only waiting on 2 Red LEDs before I can complete the first set. They should be arriving today or tommorrow, and I should have pics by the beginning of next week at the latest!

------------------

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 10-18-2001).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Slammed Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
User Banned

Report this Post10-18-2001 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Slammed FieroSend a Private Message to Slammed FieroDirect Link to This Post
I have indiglow gauges in my car..I'm wondering about your setup...

I Stripped off the old gauges completley

Made new templates for the white gauges to be glued onto. The base is Plexiglass witt he back painted white(This is so that the gluing surface is clean.

I had my printer print the gauges off on a white plasticlike paper (not mylar..but similar)

I used sprayglue to hold the gauge faces onto the plexiglass.

Then I Put my Sections of Durel over the gauges.

My only problem is blowing inverters. I have also found my printer can print with illuminescient ink (Glow in Da dark) I'm wondering how the ink will show up with the EL sheet. Mine are printed with normal ink.

There is a site on the net where a guy made white face gauges then made them indiglow. I believe it was on an eclipse. This is where I first got the idea.

I'm pretty fed up with the inverters popping, so my project is on hold. I was thinking of just swapping the gauges to Autometer white face units.

JM

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2001 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
JM- My gauges are similiar to yours in application, just without the Durel.

My gauges are made from 3 layers of a white-frosted backlit material desgined for tradeshow & POP use. The front layer is front-printed with only the numbers, letters, and the checker pattern. There is then another white backlit layer- nothing printed on it. Then the back layer is printed with the blue color and white where anything else is (Redline indicators).

All three layers are lined up and mounted together using an optically clear adhesive film (much like an auto manufacturer uses on their gauges). The back layer is then stuck to the plexi and reinstalled in the car.

My problem is primarily the uneven lighting of the gauge (doesn't light the whole thing). The system really needs another lighting source (EL Paper or Durel... same difference) to illuminate them correctly.

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2001 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Rob. I had similar problems with my first set of white face gauges. I found brighter lights are needed. I am still looking into the best option before I go to the expense of screen printing new faces for general release. Fluro lighting is looking the best.

------------------

My Fiero | Fiero Accessories

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2001 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I found this place: http://www.beingseen.com/ who sells the EL Paper, but it's about $100 per set... still looking for a cheaper supplier (especially if I could get a larger piece of material, like 36" wide
gangrenefiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2001 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gangrenefieroClick Here to visit gangrenefiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to gangrenefieroDirect Link to This Post
Yeah i found that being seen place too. Thats the one i was talking about. But that is just neon not indiglo but who cares it will do the same. Anyway i looked into that Durel and i cant find it. I went to www.durel.com and they say it is not sold to the public, so i guess its only to companies like Timex for watches and so on. So Slammed where did you get yours from, you said any 3M supplier would have it but i havent found it yet. How long ago did you get it? Cuz there also was something about how it is in a copyright lawsuit or something.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2001 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
being seen does list the EL papers too...

[Edit]URL deleted 'cause it was too big to work correctly![/edit]

I've also emailed durel's customer service for prices or at least manufaturer references. I'm still finding new info on suppliers... some even for the wide format equipement I'm currently working on!

[Edit]...Damn big web addresses- just go to the online catalog and scroll down. On the left side look for "95" and "94" ...they are the EL sheets.[/edit]

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 10-18-2001).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2001 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

MinnGreenGT

11545 posts
Member since Jul 2001
*bump*

Back to the top, just so those origionally interested will see it before it is long lost and forgotten!

Also, I've been communicating with a Durel automotive rep about the EL sheets- and waiting for numbers on a short production run. Will keep you posted!

Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2001 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
Minn: try gettting your mitts on some diffuser material. Maybe a little thicker than a single sheet. I have some on the backing of my laptop that would work nicely. let me dissect it, and see if I can't give you a solution. I have a fairly good idea. what's the maximum thickness of your inserts?

Edit;
Holy crap, i've got an idea that will fix most of the problems! pM me!

[This message has been edited by Mach10 (edited 10-18-2001).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2001 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm.....

If you could find some of the plastic "light pipe" used in back lit laptop displays, or something similar... This stuff takes light from the edge and evenly distributes it across the face.

You'd have to figure out how to work with it but it might solve some issues. This combined with some additional masking.... I.E. don't try to light the whole gauge, just the area with measure marks.

It would take some fooling around but I think that option could be used to nearly eliminate shadows. You might still need brighter light bulbs or maybe white LEDs to get enough light to the "light pipe."

For example,,, if the "source edge" of the light pipe faced the bright section of the gauges in the above photo, it would carry light all the way across the markings. The idiot light areas would be a bit tricky.

------------------
11-Sept-01, The day the world as we knew it ended.

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2001 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
A difuser sheet may help, but EL is probably the way to go.
PFF
System Bot
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2001 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Boy oh boy! You guys are almost to the bottom of this, I can feel it! Keep working away, as I know at the end of the tunnel the benefits will be fantastic I'm POSITIVE I'm not the only one that would love some guages like that; that look completely updates the look of your interior, especially at night.

Also, I can't wait to see what your tail lights look like; I really hope things work out good!

Bryce
88 GT

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2001 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Bummer. Well, it was your first try. I'm sure you'll figure it out before much longer. Keep us posted!

------------------
-Adam
sqoach@yahoo.com

^^^^^new project^^^^^

• 86 SC 2.5L 5spd
  • IP: Logged
    Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2001 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
    I keep looking at Robs guages and I just like that checker style more and more.

I should be able to make guage faces at the end of the week, so my trial will begin soon.

FieroSTETZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2001 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSTETZClick Here to visit FieroSTETZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroSTETZDirect Link to This Post
    i have an idea for brighter lights- i went to big5 and they have these keychain mini lights, that use a whie, red, or blue LED and these things are CRAZY bright- think theres any way you could use one of these little LED's to light up those gagues? if ya need, i can pick up one of the little buggers for ya, found out we carry them at work (26 dollars retail, 4.50 cost) and contribute it to the cause. will see if i can find a supply of those LED's if interested. I normally don't trust LED's for long term use, but these things have a 10 year warranty. email me if ya have questions, dont get to check the forum often right now, having a store audit next week and that means mucho overtime

------------------

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2001 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
    LEDs last like forever...it looks like they are even using them in traffic lights around here.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
    PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
    Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock