"search" function use by fiero56
Started on: 08-03-2000 03:35 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: NDFieroTN on 08-04-2000 11:23 PM
fiero56

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2000 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
We have many new members here since I joined last year. I have noticed a trend, becoming more and more common. New threads keep coming up, asking the same questions that have been answered here before. Some of the same questions we see here almost weekly. I don't want to come off as some ritcheous sounding person, but we really need to start making the search function known. This wasn't a problem as much when the forum was smaller, fewer threads, not as much activity, more people used the search function. But my time here must be at least tripled, as I try to wade through the same questions over and over and over...

TD&Q=tech questions and discussion
GC=General Fiero Chat
The Mall=sell Fiero stuff there
T/OT=off topic discussions there

The search function is easy to use, and can bring up much more informatio than posting an already answered question. I don't even bother responding to something already in the archives anymore, and I bet many others do the same. I answer each question once, anytime I see the same question posted again, I leave it alone, thinking they will run a search on it.

Maybe Cliff could setup the server to automatically e-mail new members about the search funcction as well as a brief overview of the forum?
Is anyone in agreement with me on this, or am I the only one?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tgowens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2000 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tgowensClick Here to visit tgowens's HomePageSend a Private Message to tgowensDirect Link to This Post
you're the only one...............(just kidding) -- I agree that a lot of the same things are discussed repeatedly. I also think that it would be to everyone's advantage to get a Haynes and Chilton's manual and try to research the problem there before asking on here about it -- maybe that's just me, I would rather look it up and try to determine the solution before I ask -- just my style -- and, when giving a description of a problem it would be helpful if the year and model of Fiero is givenb -- all too often, the person asking the question knows what he has but we don't -- and, as we all know, there are differences between models and years and engines and trannys and.........

anyway, good idea fiero56 (hey! don't I know you from somewhere??)

------------------

www.tgowens.com/fiero

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2000 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Actually, at this moment I do not encourage using the search function until the new server is in place. The search function is a serious server hog and takes a very long time to complete. I've already done some testing with the new server and searches only take a few seconds. But it might still be about 3-4 weeks before the new server is fully operational.
Robert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2000 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertClick Here to visit Robert's HomePageSend a Private Message to RobertDirect Link to This Post
Every time I try the search function at home, I get a time out error. Is there a switch I need to turnoff on explorer to give the search function a longer time to search before it does a time out?

I hope this subject has not been discussed repeatedly in the past, wouldn’t want to tic anyone off…..

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2000 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Drew, I agree with you completely. If anyone was to use the Search function on this topic, they'd see that we've discussed this here before! As a matter of fact, I did a Search on the word "search" under my name and found all kinds of interesting old threads. Here's one we were both involved in that brings back memories. Click on the link in my post in this old thread for a few candid comments about Search functions at another forum:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/000965.html

Cliff, this has already been brought up in the O/T forum, but there is a continuing problem with the Search function when it is used for archived threads. If a retrieved thread is longer than one page, the second page appears first, and then when the first page is accessed, it turns out to be from a totally different thread! I certainly hope the upcoming Search improvement will rectify this bug.

Drew, here's part of something I posted on 11-21-1999 that seems pertinent to this thread. The topic was Cradle bolts.

fiero56, it seems to me that this problem has been discussed here recently. It might be worth your while to start reviewing the posts if you haven't already done so. I think it was within the last month.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2000 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Patrick, I have spoken with the software's tech-support about that, and they replied with "we need full access to your server to check out the problem". Well, no way in h--- I'm gonna do that.

But it's a good thing you brought that up since I had completely forgotten about it. I will check with them again.

Robert, I can remember seeing a setting for Explorer somewhere where you could set the time-out, but I forgot where (I don't like Explorer very much so I hardly use it).

------------------
"There are 3 kinds of people. Those who can count, and those who can't."

tgowens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2000 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tgowensClick Here to visit tgowens's HomePageSend a Private Message to tgowensDirect Link to This Post
Geeeeezzzzzz Robert, how many times we gonna have to discuss that?? -- ok, I think this is what you need - in Explorer, go to the upper menu bar, click on Tools and Internet Options. When you get there, click on the Connections tab. When you get to the Connections page click on the Settings button. Go to the bottom by dial-up settings and click the advanced button. Uncheck "Disconnect if idle" and "Disconnect if connection may no longer be needed" -- that should solve your time-out problem in Explorer.......and I'm not gonna post this again!!!

------------------

www.tgowens.com/fiero

Formula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2000 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post
hmmmm.....what your saying makes sense.... BUT what about people who read over the topics and remember that they figured out an easier way to do that last saturday and then they can share this idea and we can learn even more....

99% of the topics on here have probably been posted before so I dont mind if someone asks a question...

also, I remember searching for something (which I do often) and couldnt find the answer I was looking for so I asked on the forum and got the correct response, so sometimes theres not enough info on the subject.. (and I like to sound like I know what Im talking about answering repeated questions

just something to think about

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2000 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Using the search option is a good idea, however...What about what Formula said. Or what about spelling errors? When I was trying to install my Rally (Ralley? aux.? auxilliary? auxilary? Raly?) gauges, I tried 2 or 3 different spellings before I happened upon the one that was used in the thread. One more thing to consider. I work between 80 and 100 hours every week. I also have only had 3 days off in the last 5 months. I can usually spend less time if I just ask a question again.

My problems aren't everybodys problems (at least I hope not!), but these are some things to consider. No flames, please.

buds

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2000 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
I find all threads interesting, even if they have been posted 100 times. There's always different answers. Sorry but I totally disagree with fiero56 on this topic. I'll bet every question we need answers to has been posted in the past, so if we don't ask we have no forum!!!
stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post08-04-2000 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
Buds spoke exactly the thoughts I had as I was scrolling down reading this. There is nothing new under the sun! Sure, the 'how old are you, where are you from, what color is your fiero?' posts can be a bit tiresome, I do enjoy checking out topics that have come up often in the year or so that I've been checking out the forum. Quite often there is a new insight into something.
I guess its like having a buddy who tells the same stories over and over again. It could be boring, but if something new comes up in the telling, that makes it interesting.
The nice part about the forum is, you don't have to roll your eyes and listen to another boring story, just click on a new topic!
PFF
System Bot
Robert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2000 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertClick Here to visit Robert's HomePageSend a Private Message to RobertDirect Link to This Post
You know, the more I think about it, the more I agree with Buds. This is a Forum, open to discussion.
So what if the questions repeat themselves. It’s fun watching the “new kids on the block” ask the same old questions we all asked when we were “new kids on the block”. I’ve even noticed a few “new kids” answer some other “new kids” questions like “What are those silver thingy things in the engine compartment pointed at my coil?”

I enjoy reading everybody’s comments, whether or not I agree with them.

Just my .02 cents

Robert

------------------

fierospeeder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post08-04-2000 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
CLIFF and other delegates,

I thought about doing this,but theorge was saying how its sort of illegal when linking a forum on your website. But this was what I wanted to do on my website if i ever got to it. If it was okay.

But Cliff you can do this, if you had as much time as me. Put in like an Index, or table of contents of the Links for the forum.

Such as

accesories
engine swaps
rebuilds
past troubleshooting
sub cant start
sub misfiring
wheel subjects
brakes
the myths of ending the fiero

i would click engine swaps
and following links will appear on a new page

v8 upgrades,
2.5-2.8 install,
batboys v8
northstar
etc.
and this is suppose to lead me to popular past posts, without doing a search.
it does seem time consuming, unless its possible to make a program that does most popular keyword, and go on from there.

NDFieroTN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2000 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NDFieroTNSend a Private Message to NDFieroTNDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys and gals...I wish there was someway that we could search the profiles and search for other people registered in our city or state...Maybe Cliff could start a fifth area where members could choose to be listed by the state they are located...Just another dumb idea...Whatcha think?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock