Pics. of new V8 Kevlar Clutch by fieroshop
Started on: 05-13-2000 03:04 AM
Replies: 33
Last post by: fieroshop on 05-19-2000 01:03 AM
fieroshop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2000 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroshopClick Here to visit fieroshop's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroshopDirect Link to This Post
Here is what my new kevlar clutch specially designed for the V8 Fiero conversions.

What do you think?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TwisT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2000 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TwisTClick Here to visit TwisT's HomePageSend a Private Message to TwisTDirect Link to This Post
What do I think? I think it looks like a clutch. LOL

Seriously though... where did you get this thing, and for how much? V8Archie?....

Dan86gt3.8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2000 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86gt3.8Send a Private Message to Dan86gt3.8Direct Link to This Post
call me crazy but don't clutch disks usually have more than 4 blades on them????? Anyways someone needs to talk McLeod to making a clutch I hear thoose do not fail. Can any old joe call centerforce and get one of thier clutches or do you have to get them through archie, ace, chris west, etc?
fieroshop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2000 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroshopClick Here to visit fieroshop's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroshopDirect Link to This Post
First off, this clutch is a racing style clutch that is used on performance cars. So this shape is nothing new to those in the know. What we have done is incorporate the knowledge that there is and designed this clutch specifically for the V8 Fiero. This clutch has aprox. 2400 lbs of clamp load just like our clutch that we now produce but with the ability to withstand up to aprox. 450 hp. Where can you get this clutch you ask, well thru me since this is built specially for the Fiero Shop.
Also if you notice that this clutch has six pins holding the plates that hold the springs together. A stock clutch normally has three pins while our stock kevlar has four pins and our new kevlar clutch has six pins. This disk is a custom disc which is not found on the average parts store nor can anybody get one of these designs until now. The reason a person can get one now thru me is that it is built for me and the Fiero. Also this clutch can be used in the stock Fiero.

[This message has been edited by fieroshop (edited 05-14-2000).]

batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2000 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Nice, too bad my V8 Fiero is an automatic. Does the line-up tool come with it too?
LarryB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2000 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryBSend a Private Message to LarryBDirect Link to This Post
Look at about the 2:00 position on the pressure plate, the alignment tool is the piece with the "ring" on the end of it that's between the pressure plate and the release bearing.

Originally posted by batboy:
Nice, too bad my V8 Fiero is an automatic. Does the line-up tool come with it too?

Dan86gt3.8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2000 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86gt3.8Send a Private Message to Dan86gt3.8Direct Link to This Post
didn't mean to offend but I thought the more surface area on the clutch the more holding power it has. I also was under the impression the more discs the merrier. Then it was phrased badly but I asked if centerforce fiero clutches were available to everyone. I was not implying that thats who made your clutch, if it is, it was just a lucky guess.
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2000 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
How is the street drivability -chatter on take off, stop and go traffic etc.?
batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2000 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Hey Larry, I should of been more clear. Yes, I saw the alignment tool laying there in the pic next to the throw-out bearing (trust me, I've seen them and used them before). That's what prompted me to ask if it was included with the clutch. I was just wondering if everything in the pic was included in a package deal.
fieroshop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2000 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroshopClick Here to visit fieroshop's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroshopDirect Link to This Post
Hey batbot, yes everything that is in the picture is included. As far as chatter, no there is none. Dan86gt, no my clutches are not made by centerforce, they are made by a small company which is getting bigger everyday, this company is into custom made clutches and has build many racing and performance clutches as my stock clutch. For those of you who have not seen a picture of my stock clutch, just go to my web site and I have several pics. of it there.
DXR_DAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2000 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DXR_DADSend a Private Message to DXR_DADDirect Link to This Post
Here is a ??. Who manufactures this clutch? and if the Fiero Shop just got this clutch have you tested it? And how many V8's has the Fiero Shop done? I don't understand why we would spend tons of money on a "Racing Clutch" for the street V6 What is the differance if the clamp load is the same.I have worked on many street rods and have a few now, most of the real HP parts that say "Race uses or off road uses only" they mean it! It will not have the drivability on a street car. So what makes this clutch better than the other one you sell? As a consumer I would like to know the reputation of the company that made the product!! and do they have a R&D department or did they just make it. TwisT quickly came up with the name
V8 Archie, why? He has a rep. for V8 Fieros and I'm sure that he has a R&D department of somekind. We went through something like this before about the exhaust systems!!!! Borla had the rep. As a good system, and you were going to have a system made for the Fiero Shop with a copy of the Borla system? Why not just get the Borla?
This post is kinda what I mean about a companys Rep. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/002176.html

Just my 0.02
DXR_DAD

[This message has been edited by DXR_DAD (edited 05-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by DXR_DAD (edited 05-14-2000).]

PFF
System Bot
DXR_DAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2000 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DXR_DADSend a Private Message to DXR_DADDirect Link to This Post

DXR_DAD

2440 posts
Member since Mar 99
Ok here is the site I was looking for: http://www.clutchmasters.com/index.phtml?ad_ID=

See stages 1-5

They will custom make any clutch for anyone

GT Bastard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2000 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
The clutch looks pretty, but I find it hard to believe that a 4-puck clutch won't have any driveability issues. Just ask 1fst2m6
tgowens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2000 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tgowensClick Here to visit tgowens's HomePageSend a Private Message to tgowensDirect Link to This Post
To my knowledge, this clutch has been tested excessively as it is essiently the same clutch as used with racing engines. As for its use in the Fiero, it is my understanding that it has been tested with V-8's in the 400 h.p. range for street and competition use.

I don't think that the number of V-8's the Fiero Shop has installed even matters at this point as this was just a posting to allow others who maybe interested in a quality clutch for a V-8 install that this part is available and gives them an option over others available on the market.

fieroshop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2000 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroshopClick Here to visit fieroshop's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroshopDirect Link to This Post
Well first off I did not say that this clutch should be installed in a V6 Fiero but that it could. Also this clutch is more durable especially for those that do a lot of drag racing. As I stated this clutch is specially formilated for the Fiero V8 conversions due to the fact that it will tolerate significant increase in HP. The company that builds this clutch is a reputable company and has build many clutches with this design primarily because of the increase in HP. This clutch has been installed in Ford's, Chevey's, Jaguar's, Porsche's and a few other cars. All these people have gone to the company I deal with and said that they wanted a clutch that would hold up and not break down as other clutches have. Among those clutches that this unit has replaced are the ram, centerforce and a few others.
As far as the copy of the borla exhaust I was not going to copy it but infact have the Borla muffler itself.
spiz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2000 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spizSend a Private Message to spizDirect Link to This Post
fieroshop

i am doing a v8 swap and i am interested in your clutch.
how much will it sell for?
when will it be available?
thanks

spiz

DXR_DAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2000 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DXR_DADSend a Private Message to DXR_DADDirect Link to This Post
I understand that this is just a post to let anyone interested know that its avaiable but, I just wanted more info on the clutch, maybe some first hand info, or some test info.

Terry, "to my Knowledge" doesn't help me.
I don't mean to offend!! But if you are going to post to the fourm as seller then you should have first hand info on the product your selling??? and expect to get questions,

QUOTE:

I don't think that the number of V-8's the Fiero Shop has installed even matters at this point as this was just a posting to allow others who maybe interested in a quality clutch for a V-8 install that this part is available and gives them an option over others available on the market.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This info is important to me, that's why I asked. I'm interested in a "Quality" V8 clutch, but how do I know if it's an option over others If I don't get any info on it??

Thanks.

1FST2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2000 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FST2M6Click Here to visit 1FST2M6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1FST2M6Direct Link to This Post
pull those springs out and Paint the pressure plate yellow and it looks JUST like mine and BlackGTs! (our pads are Cindered Ceramic/metallic though not kevlar; kevlar will slip a bit more than Ceramic AND since it's sprung that might help too...) BUT if you talk to ANY clutch manufacturer they will all tell you that the reason for the springs is more for engine harmonics and driveline shock than clutch dampening... www.clutchnet.com (sorry to let the secret out) for the same clutch setup with either ceramic or kevlar pads... ! the unsprung verson is only $55 (now, and is the disk and alignment tool ONLY I'D recommend a STOCK pressure palte if your gunna drive in traffic, right Todd) i don't have drivability problems till it gets hot.. as long as you ONLY drive to the stop sign at the end of the neighborhood you'll be ok... BlackGT has almost the same clutch.. i'll bug him and have him toss in his $.02 they are GREAT, racing or weekend flogging clutches! and will hold over 300lbft of torque! so if your serious about speed and you want the BEST performance these are the clutches for you!

[This message has been edited by 1FST2M6 (edited 05-14-2000).]

fieroshop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2000 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroshopClick Here to visit fieroshop's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroshopDirect Link to This Post
to dxr_dad, Let me say this. First Terry is not the seller I am. Second if you really need more info then call my supplier and talk to him directly. He and I went round and round the block trying to figure the problems that the fiero has had. Look in the Golgen Gate Fieros newsletter for my suppiers name and tel.
As far as using metals and some ceramics they are great, but has anybody seen what they do to your flywheel and prssure plate, I have. Has anybody seen some transmissions busted up, because of no springs in the clutch, I have. In both cases they did not look pretty. I don't mean to start a war but you asked a question and posted an answer. I personnally feel that every person has to make their own choices and live with them. If you feel that you have a better clutch, then more power to you. As far as this post I placed a picture of a clutch that I carry, whether it be made by an independant manufacturer or a name brand was not the issue. If anybody cares to discuss this please feel free to call me and I will answer your question. This post is and was not intended to say what clutch was better or which clutc was not, it was simply a posting of my clutch and I asked what you thought and not what else is or was available.
1FST2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2000 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FST2M6Click Here to visit 1FST2M6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1FST2M6Direct Link to This Post
the ceramic pucks will TRASH your flywheel! i had my pressure plate run through a cryo process and there is no major wear. i've got 6000 miles on it. if your not willing to replace your flywheel everytime you replace your clutch DON'T buy a ceramic unit. I was willing to sacrifice a few parts for better performance. and the spyder gears in the diff many not be strong enough they will be the first to die and toss chunks into the rest of your nice shiney tranny and send it to the scrap yard.
BlackGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2000 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGTSend a Private Message to BlackGTDirect Link to This Post
Hello Folks,
Phil asked if the 4 puck clutch is streetable
and will it chatter everytime you take off on
the street....well I use pretty much the same
setup as 1FST2M6 and let me first say that this is my DAILY DRIVER(70 miles) and I did not want to put in an inferior clutch(stock) only to have it slip anytime I decide to stop on the gas.In stop and go traffic it`s no more difficult than stock it will chatter if you try to drive it like a toyota corolla but then my car hates traffic so she tries to overheat. I can accelerate like a bat outta hell in any gear I want and my engine is bone stock(for right now....blue bottle comming soon). I understand and can respect DXR_DAD`s statement about racing clutches being just for racing but not for the street but in this instance until you`ve had the setup you don`t know what you`re missing. Guys if you want to light your tires whenever you feel like it accelerate quickly in any gear and don`t want to get smoked by any idiot with a sticker and coffee can exhaust because of clutch slip get that setup!! If you guys are ever in the Atlanta
metro area you can look up either myself or 1FST2M6. We`ll let you experience it firsthand!
PFF
System Bot
DXR_DAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2000 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DXR_DADSend a Private Message to DXR_DADDirect Link to This Post
Thanks BlackGT for the "FIRST HAND" info.

1FST2m6 Thanks for the pros & cons on this set up.

I will email you with some other questions.

1FST2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2000 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FST2M6Click Here to visit 1FST2M6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1FST2M6Direct Link to This Post
anytime... don't hesitate to contact either myself or Todd (BlackGT) for any questions... we don't sell them, don't install them (except our own) and will help with whatever your questions might be. yeah we're Kinda biased cause we have them but will not tell you need one if your just gunna drive it to work... if you drive it everyday and don't push the car to even a smidge of it's limits don't even bother with a clutch like these... their for enthusiasts with a will to pilot.. not just commute.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2000 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Black GT,
I don't understand well your statement on slipage when acelerating. At least in my Formula once the clutch is engaged I have had NO slipage with any clutch that I have used (stock, CF, RAM). Do you mean like reving up in any specific gear and drop the clutch to acelerate? Or just acelerating full throtle once clutch engaged?
BlackGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2000 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGTSend a Private Message to BlackGTDirect Link to This Post
Alex4mula,
What I mean is anytime the clutch ws engaged
and at full throttle running.I never dumped the clutch on takeoffs then. I had a rebuilt
2.8 put in 6 months ago with a new stock clutch and the engine is great but the clutch wasn`t worth a damn! It failed right
about 2 months ago. Travis(1FST2M6) suggested that I use the same clutch he does since I was thinking of nitrous in the future anyway and didn`t want to go thru this BS again! Well up til last nite I thought I was shifting properly but I was
shown what it really will do in the right
hands(Trav). After work this puppy is going
on a dyno so I can see what I`ve got and
then can make some modifications. I can`t
wait!!!
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2000 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Ohh.. That I can understand. Have had that. Power shifting should make it worst. Please share your Dyno numbers with us. Hope to do the same when done with my 3.4...
lowCG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2000 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lowCGSend a Private Message to lowCGDirect Link to This Post
I'm installing a 3.4 TDC here soon ,and have ordered a similar clutch from Chris West that is adequate for hi-po V-6 useage,it has nine,carbon-fiber pucks.Less surface area equals more pressure on those areas; more bite(larger skis=faster,studded snow tires grab better,etc...)

From what I understand,the carbon friction material allows for some slippage,but if abused,or slipped,it'll heat up and grab,or chatter.
Sounds a heck of alot better than a heat-checked,embrittled disc and flywheel from starting out on a hill somewhere,or a sloppy shift under power.

I want to know how you get 2400lb from a pressure plate that looks stock?

Dan86gt3.8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2000 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86gt3.8Send a Private Message to Dan86gt3.8Direct Link to This Post
low cg who is doing your 3.4?? I was driving my moms car the other day and it was pulling hard, and I was kinda mad I didn't go with it. I think it would be real fun with a 5 speed sinse it redlines at 7000. Anyways a 3.8 is what I have for a while I have to be content with it but really let me know about your progress
RobertVol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2000 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertVolSend a Private Message to RobertVolDirect Link to This Post
Hey I was wondering how much are you asking for the clutch? I may get one and put in while doing the 3.4 with design one I have decided to do ....
lowCG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2000 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lowCGSend a Private Message to lowCGDirect Link to This Post
Dan I've been slowly putting it together myself over the last couple of months,now waiting on motor mounts,clutch from Chris West,still have a bit more sorting to do with the wires also.
stsmithgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2000 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stsmithgtClick Here to visit stsmithgt's HomePageSend a Private Message to stsmithgtDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking clutch. My brother had one that looked like that behind a 440 6pak with about 600 hp. That clutch would stick fast. It was released or it was hooked up. It was not very streetable. To take off, the car (challenger RT) would spin those 50's around a couple of times to get going rather than the clutch slipping. I borrowed my bro's car to replace the engine and tranny mounts for him and took it for a spin in town. My friends were wondering why I was lighting the tires up everywhere, even in front of the police station. I didn't relilze. Thoses tires were quiet yet they tended to smoke a lot. For those people (not to flame) who think more suface the marrier, try this experiment with pounds per square inch. Take the butt end of a chisels (large area) and hit it on a piece of would then drag it sideways. It will move. Now take the other end (preferably pointy) and hit it into the would. it won't move will it. Better BITE not to metion the compounds of the clutch. just my two cents.
PFF
System Bot
lowCG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2000 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowCGSend a Private Message to lowCGDirect Link to This Post
Until very recently,all puck type clutches have had copper for a friction material,my Dad's '65 Guilia,Alfa racecar had one.That car would jump sideways about a foot on the launch from a start,then again with each shift; I never got it out of third gear.
The dealer that sold the car claimed that it had a bad clutch,so he replaced it with a stock one,what a moron!
1FST2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2000 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FST2M6Click Here to visit 1FST2M6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1FST2M6Direct Link to This Post
ALFA!!! he still have it?! Love my Alfa... VIVA La 164!
fieroshop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2000 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroshopClick Here to visit fieroshop's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroshopDirect Link to This Post
Well guys, I just got the info on the price of this clutch and the sugested retail is $496.00 but I am able to offer this clutch for $425.00 It comes with everything you see in the picture. My stock kevlar clutch sell for $375.00 so this clutch is not much more.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock