Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Driving a GT 1700 miles from Fresno, CA after it has been sitting for 2 years? HELP!! (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Driving a GT 1700 miles from Fresno, CA after it has been sitting for 2 years? HELP!! by hcforde
Started on: 06-20-2013 03:42 AM
Replies: 43
Last post by: hcforde on 06-24-2013 07:04 PM
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsDirect Link to This Post
Good thing you saw that! Didn't cross my mind when he said it was coming out of the 4-cyl, going into a V-6.

Originally posted by Raydar:

Without going back through the thread again (sorry) did you say that you were going to grab the tank and fuel pump from an 88 coupe?
If so, the fuel pump will not provide enough pressure for the GT. It must have come from another 6 cylinder car. (If it's an 88, another GT or a Formula.)

IP: Logged
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
For just peace of mind, Id have it shipped since its almost the same cost as driving it....to me thats a no brainer. A shipper will have possession of the car, so they dont need anything up front. Do only 'pay on delivery' and offer cash only. People dont like hassling with checks, MOs. When I sell a car, I only take cash money. If they can bring a check, they can cash that check for me.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
As BlackEmrald mentioned, and I will say again, check the brake calipers! They love to seize up when not used. My car had been sitting for a year, I drove it to the paint shop, (around 3 miles one way) and on the way home noticed a burning smell. The right rear caliper locked up tight.

Drive the car around a bit, starting - stopping - using the brakes quite a bit. Then pull over and check to see that none of the center hubs is throwing off excessive heat when you place your hand close. Thats the quick way. The better, more reliable, and more work way is after driving around, jack up the car and check that the tires spin freely,
hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeDirect Link to This Post
Raydar
Thanks for catching that for me. I want to make my decision based on ALL pertinent facts. In looking at the spec chart it also appears that the Coupe did not even come with a V6 option in 1988. While it is not a pivotal issue, you can see that on the cost breakdown, it is one of a series of thing that can affect the final decision. At the moment I am more looking at shipping or driving there and 'trailering' it back. So the fuel pump will not be immediately important but IMPORTANT to know when I change it out back home. The biggest/only reason for 'trailering the car backt is the 1988 parts car that I can strip down to the chassis and bring coveted parts back home for the future since I have 2 1988 cars that I currently own(1 being here in Austin, and the other the T-Top which is the subject of this conversation)

rogergarrison
I have read that a lot of shipper/brokers ask for a down payment and then extort more money from you if you want the deal completed. I did have a broker contact me today that is here in Austin, that will be a big plus.

JohnWPB
The first Fiero I bought had been sitting for 12 years. the tires would still hold air surprisingly but it was a bear to push. Three of us finally got it on the trailer and when I got it home I was all alone. When I began to strip the car I had to strong arm the calipers off so I could get the wheels to move. Since I do not plan on driving it home at this point, I will probably have to put new rotors on . This is an expense I did not count on in my cost assessment and increases the potential cost of driving it home even more.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock