3800 SC Tranny 3.29 Gear Ratio Change? by DimeMachine
Started on: 05-01-2013 01:15 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: carbon on 05-02-2013 08:36 AM
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2013 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineDirect Link to This Post
Contemplating the ZZP gear ratio change to 3.29 with the ZZP kit. Anyone got any experience with it that they would like to share with the group? 1. Does the whole tranny need to be torn apart to install? 2. Did the ration help performance or did it cause too much spin and or axle breakage at launch?

Thanks!

------------------
84 NB, 3800SC, E-30 Fuel, VS Cam, 3.0 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -12.15 at 111mph

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2013 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
Ugh, I need to learn to read the whole paragraph before I post.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 05-02-2013).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2013 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Historically gear changes will do nothing for performance, as your powerband is so flat that moving the effective RPM band does nothing to keep you in power longer.

Most of the side of the trans needs to be taken apart, and I believe the trans has to come off the motor to remove the input shaft.
1fast2m4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2013 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Direct Link to This Post
We don't change the ratio @ the Diff on thies trannys, ann the diff are use the same ring & pinion, we change the two gears & drive chain on the other end, basically while your in that deep overhaul the trans.

I agree with DarkHorizon, most cars with a Eaton as the power adder have tons of TQ down low and tend to run out of breath up top (when the SC is over driven / at its upper limits) there probably aren't Huge gains to be made running the RPM's up, that's not to say the extra punch won't net a better E.T. I'm just not shure about the Faster E.T. to $$$ ratio
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2013 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkDirect Link to This Post
I have a pretty much stock 3800 SC III engine in my 88 Fiero GT. I also have the 4T65#-HD transmission. I originally had the normal gear ratio and when I had the transmission rebuilt I had the ratio changed to a 3.29:1. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference except it seems a little bit better out of the hole.

I does change the gas mileage. My experience is that I lost between 2 and 3 mpg by going to this gear ratio. I think after doing this it was not really worth it for what I use my car for, but it is an individual choice and that choice also might depend on what other things you have done to your engine.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2013 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DimeMachine:

Contemplating the ZZP gear ratio change to 3.29 with the ZZP kit. Anyone got any experience with it that they would like to share with the group? 1. Does the whole tranny need to be torn apart to install? 2. Did the ration help performance or did it cause too much spin and or axle breakage at launch?

Thanks!

I have 3.29 single chain setup in my car and really havent seen an advantage over it compares to stock gears. I alao have a 3K stall that I installed along with them over 6 years ago. I dont see it being a help and will only decrease ur MPG. The trans has ro be pulled, side cover removed along with many other parts. If u wanna try it out just find a cheap GT rrans as they come stock with 3.29.

1fast2m4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2013 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

I have 3.29 single chain setup in my car and really havent seen an advantage over it compares to stock gears. I alao have a 3K stall that I installed along with them over 6 years ago. I dont see it being a help and will only decrease ur MPG. The trans has ro be pulled, side cover removed along with many other parts. If u wanna try it out just find a cheap GT rrans as they come stock with 3.29.

Thats a good idea, could just grab a 4t65e out of a 98-02 grand prix GT and swap over your HD diff & pass side axle.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2013 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fast2m4:
Thats a good idea, could just grab a 4t65e out of a 98-02 grand prix GT and swap over your HD diff & pass side axle.

No reason to even swap the diff parts..Many have ran the non- hd trans with no issues..
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2013 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fast2m4:

We don't change the ratio @ the Diff on thies trannys, ann the diff are use the same ring & pinion, we change the two gears & drive chain on the other end, basically while your in that deep overhaul the trans.

I agree with DarkHorizon, most cars with a Eaton as the power adder have tons of TQ down low and tend to run out of breath up top (when the SC is over driven / at its upper limits) there probably aren't Huge gains to be made running the RPM's up, that's not to say the extra punch won't net a better E.T. I'm just not shure about the Faster E.T. to $$$ ratio

Doh! Thats right... it's already a 3.29 differential with the chain drive gears setup to make it what it is... sorry. I just need to learn to keep my mouth shut on some of this stuff...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock