Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  3500 LX9 short block with iron heads - possible? (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
3500 LX9 short block with iron heads - possible? by masospaghetti
Started on: 02-15-2013 09:10 AM
Replies: 80
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 02-21-2013 04:28 PM
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
I wasn't going to get involved in this “discussion” but I really don't appreciate my name being dragged thru the mud so I'm here to set the record straight.

Originally posted by lou_dias:

The inital problem I had going from that old setup to the '7730 + Trueleo is that the timing was way too advanced for my motor even with the base $A1 code...which is why I posted a much poorer dyno right here with the last tune I received from Ryan prior to doing my own tuning: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...L/075502-6.html#p202
I had pre-ignition like a mo-fo and would you like me to send you all the emails I sent Ryan Gick about it when I was letting him attempt to tune it?

I have ALL the emails you sent me, Lou. At the time we were working on your fuel problem, the spark issue came up and YOU TOLD ME:

Once we get the fueling right, then we can play with timing again.

You didn't seem too concerned about the timing and you insisted that I not worry about it and instead focus on the fuel issue at that time.

Detonation and pre-ignition are two completely different things. Pre-ignition is just that, it is when combustion occurs before the spark lights it off. Pre-ignition is something the computer has NO control over. Detonation, on the other hand, is usually caused by too far advanced ignition timing which the computer can have control over. It is important to note that BOTH of these conditions can be caused by LEAN AFR's; among other things.

Concerning the fuel problem, as I had discussed with you COUNTLESS times, the mail order tuning process is just that - a process. There isn't any quick fix or instant perfect tune I or anyone else can find for highly modified builds like what you have. I requested certain information that you were unwilling to provide (ie: wideband O2 sensor data for real-world driving conditions). YOU insisted that the wideband data the dyno was providing was "good enough" and I pointed out several reasons why it WAS NOT. You disagreed; but I'll explain to everyone else here why I feel the way I do.

1) Most dyno shops use a tailpipe sniffer type wideband O2 sensor. These devices are highly unreliable and can be very inaccurate depending on a list of factors (like contamination from previous runs/use, length of exhaust system, leaks in the exhaust, etc). The only wideband O2 sensors I trust are those that install into the exhaust system near where the stock O2 sensor installs (which isn’t far from the engine). Anything that clamps onto the exhaust tailpipe is what I consider to be unreliable.

2) The air inside dyno cells it what you would classify as "dirty". It isn't the same quality (or in the same quantity) as the air your car encounters driving down the road or even at a race track. I have tuned dozens of cars both on a dyno and outside of it and can tell you there is a BIG difference you will see in the wideband AFR readings using the same tune inside the dyno vs. outside the dyno. I've tuned cars to run at 12.5:1 AFR on the dyno that went right out on the street and produced a 13.5:1 AFR with the exact same tune. All of this measured with the same in-exhaust wideband O2 sensor so differences in AFR measuring equipment can be ruled out.

LOU - I'm sorry I could not provide you with a tune that met your satisfaction while we were still working together, but YOU NEVER GAVE ME THE CHANCE TO COMPLETE MY WORK. So I don't think it is fair for you to say some of the things you have been saying without telling everyone the entire story.

It would be no different than you dropping off an engine at the machine shop and then going back to them mid-way thru the build and demanding they hand the engine back over to you before it got put back together and then complaining later because they did a "bad job". How was it their fault you called it quits halfway thru the process?

Having said that, I’m glad you are doing your own tuning now and I hope it works out for you.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 02-21-2013).]

IP: Logged
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors