Started on: 01-02-2013 09:39 PM
Replies: 65
Last post by: Gall757 on 03-29-2013 02:27 PM
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
You seemed to be progressing pretty good. Didn't look like any feedback was needed. And you got it running! Is the water coming from the front compartment, or from underneath? Hope no one has lifted it on a coolant pipe and broken it. Sitting that long, hopefully it's where a critter chewed on a hose, tasting that wonderfully sweet glycol antifreeze.

BTW, where did you get your injectors rebuilt?

Edit: Page 2 is Mine!.

------------------
Love my Fieros, S-curves and speed.
It's what driving was meant to be.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 02-22-2013).]

IP: Logged
oldbikeracer

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerDirect Link to This Post
I have not jacked the car up yet. I think it may be rubber heater hose pulled away from the metal tube as I snagged it during fuel tank removal and may have pulled it loose. When the rain stops I will take a look. Motor runs good but high idle, will go after this when I can run it longer after I fix the coolant leak. No codes now and I checked compression a while back and it looked very good, timing is dead on, oil pressure good and alternator is charging (according to gauge). It will move forward and backward under it's own power and brakes seem good now. Get it to hold it's water and idle down some and it will be ready for a short check out drive. Wish me luck. Car still needs major clean up and a few little cosmetic fixes but I think it will be a very good car when I finish it. As I said before it will be for sale when I am finished at a reasonable price so keep that in mind. 50,333 actual miles and I have car fax that only has 3 reports on it. Thanks for the reply.
MIKE

Fierofool, Got injectors done at Cruzin Performance as suggested in forum here. Happy with service, price and work done. http://www.cruzinperformance.com/

[This message has been edited by oldbikeracer (edited 02-25-2013).]

oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2013 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerDirect Link to This Post
Got her running GOOD today. Water leak was the darn radiator cap, replaced it and leak is gone. Previous owner had messed with the idle stop screw so I reset it using instruction in Ogre's Cave and idle is now 900/950 and 1200 cold starting. Right front brake is stuck so I will tear it apart and put some new pads on the front and lube stuff up like it should be, rear brakes seem to be OK then bleed out oil brake fluid and replace. There is some sort of problem with the parking brakes I have not looked at them fully but it seems to be cable from handle, I will replace it if necessary but not an issue at this time. All instruments work and all lights work. This baby will take me down the rad this weekend (I hope). Heater works good bud AC blows a little cool only and throttle controls for AC work OK. Keep wishing me luck on this and thanks for the advice and replies.

PS Also no codes looking good so far.
MIKE

[This message has been edited by oldbikeracer (edited 02-26-2013).]

oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2013 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerDirect Link to This Post
IT IS ALIVE !!!! Drove the car 10 miles today, rides like crap because tires that sat for many years flat have major flat spots in them. Got the trunk release fixed also. Tachometer kind of grooves around at 30 mph it may read 1500 then 3000 then kind of move around as it sees fit. Is this bad tachometer or bad filter ??? Power windows work except a little slow, right power mirror work and left one goes up and down but not in or out. Seems to run better each time it is driven but still a little rough. Brakes still not up to par as I have not bled the rears yet. Transmission shifts great but no kick down. Throttle cable has some slack in it, how do I adjust that??? Power seats work if you pull the handle and push and pull the seat, power steering also works good but a little hard at low speeds. Last two comments were a test to see if you are paying attention. Got the front brakes loosened up, they had almost new looking pads, replaced the caliper bolts and bushings and lubed up good with silicon brake grease. Engine temperature seems good and you can see on the gauge when the thermostat opens. Any help on the tachometer and throttle cable would be appreciated.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2013 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
A little wheel bearing grease or silicone tire shine on the front tire treads will improve that power steering. Applied to the rear tire treads will also reduce your 0-60 time to about 1 second. At lease by the speedometer reading.

As for the other stuff, I've got no idea other than the tach problem could be the filter or pickup coil. My first Fiero had an unstable tach for several weeks before the module went out.

Good to hear it's made the trip down the road and back under it's own power. Keep plugging.

------------------

oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2013 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerDirect Link to This Post
You can also use armor all on the passenger seat of a motorcycle to make her hold on tight. I do have a spare ICM so I will try that for the tachometer problem, thanks for the reply. Now if someone can tell me how to get slack out of the throttle cable I will be a happy boy.

Beginning to think it may have 4 cylinder tachometer in it. Tach seems to read about double what it should when comparing to scan tool. How can I tell if this is so?? Can tach be somehow recalibrated for if this is true by a shade tree mechanic?? Anyone have a V6 tach for sale CHEAP?
Mike

[This message has been edited by oldbikeracer (edited 02-28-2013).]

oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2013 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: Drove the car to town today to fill with gas. While filling it up I noticed coolant leaking from the right rear side, not a big leak but a slow drip. Drove it home and jacked it up, guess what WATER PUMP IS LEAKING! DARN CAR !! Will replace water pump and associated hoses when new pump arrives will take this opportunity to replace belts also. I have read post on this job and it seems to be a pain in the butt. OH well car is 25 years old and sat for 10 years. Everything else is progressing good. Will get tires when it is on the road again. AGAIN DARN CAR !!! I planed to sell it when it is done but looks like I may have to much in it to at least break even. will have to get $1800.00 minimum after this is done to break even. I guess bright side is I have learned a lot . DARN CAR !!

UPDATE: Getting new tires as these are cracking up due to sitting flat for several years. When I pulled right rear for access to water pump found that it had a HUGH bubble in tread (separation), checked other rear and it is the same. Since I an not drive on these tires the 25 miles to get the new ones I will have to take rears and have tires mounted. Fronts look good enough for the short trip. Did you know that a Fiero wheel and tires will fit in the trunk? So I will put one in the truck and the other in the front seat. Just one more thing to take care of. Car is running good, driving good and stopping good now so a lot of headway so far. I should end up with 2 good 87 GT's after this is over, one as daily driver and a spare. I had planned to sell the silver one after I get it in good condition, but now I may just keep it to drive some. Thanks for the replies and still wish me luck.

[This message has been edited by oldbikeracer (edited 03-06-2013).]

oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerDirect Link to This Post
Holy Crap changing water pump is a total pain. I spent a big part of today trying to get the old one off, all the bolts were darn near impossible to get out and I still have one to go. I did get it to break loose but it is hard all the way out and the head is starting to strip out. I did get it to move about 6 threads out so I soaked it with PB Blaster and will let it sit until tomorrow. It is the larger one directly behind the alternator so I can drop the alternator out and get some vice grips on it to help if necessary at least it is out enough to get a grip with vide grips. I thought the fuel tank was a pain but this makes it easy. Wish I could get my hands on the engineer that thought those darn TORX bolts were a goof idea. I will be going to the local nut and bolt store Monday to get hex head SS replacement bolts. Oh well the car is 25 years old, this the original water pump and it sat for around 10 years. I am learning so much about the Fiero on this one, stuff I really did not want to know. I think I will also pick up a small propane torch Monday. Wish me luck again, this DARN CAR is not going to beat me. Running good, driving good (with new Bridgestone tires) and stopping good if I can just get it to hold it's water. Paint is cleaning up good I have all the overspray and body shop dust off now and just need to do a final polish and wax on it. It is going to be a good car and I think the bumps, bruises and mashed fingers will heal quickly.

[This message has been edited by oldbikeracer (edited 03-09-2013).]

firejo24

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firejo24Send a Private Message to firejo24Direct Link to This Post
A couple of things to note. First, replacing the bolts with standard head bolts is a great idea. The torx head bolts are a pain and serve no real purpose. Make sure you seal the bolts that go through the timing cover into the block. They will leak if you don’t. Most importantly, don’t over tighten the alternator belt. Fiero’s (and Firebird’s and Camaro’s of the same vintage) belts squeal when it’s cold and wet out. A lot of people over tighten the belt trying to get rid of this but it doesn’t work. You could install an aftermarket belt tentioner (there are a couple out there for Fiero’s) and they work pretty good but not because they tighten the belt but because the force the belt around a larger area of the crank and alternator pulley give it more grip (the problem is the serpentine belts of today don’t have the same V pattern than the belts GM used on Fiero’s and F body cars). With all of that said, if you tighten the belt to much it will wear out the water pump bearings and you will be replacing it again inside of a couple of years (I speak of experience here). You also want to get a good quality new pump (if it’s not too late). It sounds like I don’t need to tell you that you don’t want to do this twice.

Lastly, replace the tires. Tires do have a shelf life and if they are as old as they sound they could fail at speed and then all of your hard work will be for not (at a minimum. God forbid you get hurt).

Sorry, one last thing, no power steering on Fiero’s. It was going to be an option on 89’s and there is documentation out there because Pontiac was getting geared up to produce 89’s when GM forced them to end the Fiero line but none ever made it in to production vehicles from the factory. If it has it someone customized it.

Nice car and great job! You should be proud of yourself. If you’d like to find out what it’s worth you can find out here.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2013 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Mike, one other thing about the water pump. Get one with a steel impeller. The ones with the plastic impellers tend to fail in short order. The plastic swells when hot and comes loose from the shaft.

------------------

oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2013 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies. I have a NEW water pump with metal impeller. I did replace the tires since they were dry rotting and one had a BIG tread separation with Bridgestone Potenza. Will try that last pesky bolt today, hope it will come out now after soaking with PB Blaster overnight. I will also replace hoses on right side since the inner fender is out and they will be easier to get to. I am 71 with arthritis so it has been a little of a struggle but I am persistent and will work through the pain. Just have my finger crossed that this is the last total pain in the butt to deal with on this car. Pricing guide is pretty optimistic compared to the prices I see them selling for, if I could get that kind of price I would dance a jig at least until bad knee buckles. Again thanks for the encouragement and suggestions.
Mike
PFF
System Bot
oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2013 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerDirect Link to This Post

oldbikeracer

345 posts
Member since Jun 2012
Update: The last water pump bolt came out fairly easy today, PB Blaster is great stuff. Got the gasket surface all cleaned up on front of the engine and ready to install new pump when I get new SS bolts tomorrow, Pump shaft had bad bearings and about 1/4 inch play in it. Things are looking better now that it is off. I have a couple of job interviews tomorrow morning, one could be interesting it is Range Safety Officer for local Police Department at their shooting range. I am a NRA Certified Range Safety Offices so I may get that one, probably only part time but after 14 months out of a job anything looks good. Other one is same position at a Department of Natural Resources shooting range hopefully one or the other will happen. Again thanks for the replies and suggestions, I will post as progress comes about and probably post an after picture or two end of this week.
Mike

[This message has been edited by oldbikeracer (edited 03-10-2013).]

oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2013 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerDirect Link to This Post
WATER PUMP IS DONE!!! What a pain in the butt. She is now holding her water and no overheating problems so far. Next, replace tachometer and fix the slack in the throttle cable. Certainly rides MUCH better on new tires also did a good grease job on it while wheels were off. Runs good, idles good, shifts good, drives good, stops good, it is coming along. Got the paint cleaned up just need a final polish and wax. Interior is cleaning up good shame the drivers seat back bolster is such a mess. perfect dash with no cracks. very good door panels, good carpets, good headliner and visors. Still have to clean engine and under front hood. Any one buying a Fiero that has been sitting for 10 years or more needs to read this thread so they can see what they may be getting in to. Keep praying for me.
Mike
oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2013 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerDirect Link to This Post
NO WATER LEAKS. I know how everyone like pictures so here are a couple. Silver looks flat in sun so I made one inside the garage to show that it actually shines now, still needs final polish and wax. No under hood on either end as I have not done clean up there yet. Tell me what you think.

oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2013 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerDirect Link to This Post

oldbikeracer

345 posts
Member since Jun 2012
NO WATER LEAKS. I know how everyone like pictures so here are a couple. Silver looks flat in sun so I made one inside the garage to show that it actually shines now, still needs final polish and wax. No under hood on either end as I have not done clean up there yet. Tell me what you think. SORRY I DOUBLE POSTED THIS !!

[This message has been edited by oldbikeracer (edited 03-13-2013).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2013 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Tell you what we think? I think you're falling in love with it and will keep it It really looks good.
oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2013 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerDirect Link to This Post
I have discovered the way to keep your Fiero on the road, have 2 of them. Took her out today for a spin about a mile from the house I decided to stomp the brakes to see how it would stop in a panic situation. BIG MISTAKE, fronts did not release completely and dragged all the way home. No rotor damage but they got hot. Ordered new from calipers and pads today, they will be here on Friday. Released the bleeder and it did not release the brakes. Lines flow good and Master Cylinder is working good. LATER
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2013 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Without going back to see what all you've done, if the flexible brake lines weren't replaced, sometimes they can be a cause of failure to release. They get little splinters breaking loose inside, kind of like a valve. They'll let fluid pass one way but won't let it return. Many a Fiero has had that problem after the car has sat unused for years. Just a possibility this could happen after the car is driven with the wheels being turned left and right.
oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2013 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerDirect Link to This Post
I did remove the pucks from both front calipers and they were in sad condition an bore of calipers were pitted some. So I will replace them, I have a set of braided SS lines and will put them on front while replacing the calipers. Just doing as good a job as possible on this car in case I do decide to keep it. Rear brakes are working good and look like they were redone not long before the car was parked. I will also know that it was done right for next owner if I decided to sell leaving me with a clear conscience. This thing is like woman you meet in a bar buy them drinks and steak dinners, once in a while get a little action then more drinks and steak dinners and on and on just keep inverting with that promise of bigger things. It still will not be the car my red one is. I need to get it out of the garage so I can finish painting the nose on the red car, then body will be 99.5% on it. Still need headliner and visors in red car then interior will also be 99.5%. Red car starts, runs, drives, stops, handles like a Fiero should. I have new coolant recovery and windshield washer tanks for red car also that will make under front hood look good. Red car is the love, silver car could end up being an equal with a bunch more time and sweat.

[This message has been edited by oldbikeracer (edited 03-13-2013).]

oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2013 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerDirect Link to This Post
Fierofool,

Off subject, just thought you may be interested in this one. 88 Yellow Notch back.

http://albanyga.craigslist.org/cto/3648609503.html
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2013 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Decent looking car. I have one like that with a 5-speed, except it's maroon. Gave it to the club to use as a courtesy car for our members.
PFF
System Bot
oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerDirect Link to This Post
On the road again, got the brake issues fixed. While it was down I also removed and cleaned the IAC and it idles great now. I plan to replace the ICM tomorrow with a known good one to see if that solves the tachometer reading high problem. Original owner claims that tachometer was working good when it was parked. Still trying to decide how to get the slack out of the throttle cable, I may try bending the cable bracket like suggested in a post here. Perhaps the car was parked over an old Indian burial ground. I could easily identify this car from the bottom since I have spent so much time under it. Again thanks for the replies.

[This message has been edited by oldbikeracer (edited 03-17-2013).]

oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerDirect Link to This Post
Replaced the ICM today and tachometer is still reading high so I will install the known good V6 tachometer this weekend already replace tachometer filter. Wife and I drove it to town today and when we arrived at our destination she could not open her door, it opened Ok from the outside, another project. Boy the old cars that have been sitting for years are full of surprises. The GOOD: Running and starting good, shifts good (automatic), drives good and stops good now, no fluid leaks and the radio work good. I put a little over 100 miles on it today with no issues. Just going to keep going on until everything is working, fixed or ignored.
oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2013 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: Discovered that the cooling fan at the radiator was running all the time. Replaced the fan switch and connector at the engine and it cycles as it should now. Fixed passenger side door opening problem by simply spraying some white lithium grease into the door latch from the outside, that now works great also. Repaired wiring to cruise control, trunk light and small fan, trunk light now works fan works but still no cruise control. I will look further into the cruise control when all other issues are resolved. Still need to replace tachometer with good one I have on hand and solve the throttle slack issue. Throttle cable is good and not sticking, I discounted at the throttle body and it work smooth and easy from that end. 1/2 inch slack in the pedal just bogs me. Inside of distributor looks really bad so I may just replace it with a new one. Tested it in a rain storm today and no leaks anywhere and delay wipers work good. Getting closer but I still do not have absolute faith in it for any type of trip yet. I need to get it trustworthy so I can get my RED 87 in the garage and give it some loving care, oil and filter change and put the new windshield washer reservoir and pump installed. Windshield washer is only thing that does not work on it because pump is shot and a hole in the tank, I have new replacements for them.
oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2013 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerDirect Link to This Post
THE SAGA HAS ENDED. Got the car looking, driving (I put 450 miles on it trouble free), and stopping good. I had an interested person that decided to purchase it and we made a deal. He will be picking it up today. Thanks to everyone for their comments, replies, and tips during the recovery of this Fiero, it was probably headed to the recycler if I had not taken it in. It is going to a good home, he owns a Fiero and can finish the couple of little projects still needed.

Mike
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2013 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock