Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Overheating, Question about Thermostat temp and type of coolant (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Overheating, Question about Thermostat temp and type of coolant by Meatstick62
Started on: 08-13-2012 11:00 AM
Replies: 51
Last post by: Patrick on 09-29-2012 01:43 PM
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2012 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
The heater shouldnt have any effect on it. Ive had cars that ran borderline hot, and turned the heater on full and it was just enough to aid the cooling so it didnt overheat.
IP: Logged
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2012 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Meatstick62:

The wierd part is that it seems to be running too cold. After a 30-45 minute drive, it never reached operating temp and never stayed above 180 for long. On the highway or at any decent speed the temps would fall below 160 degrees and never go higher.

What temperature thermostat do you have installed? 160-180-195?

It's also possible that the thermostat is stuck open, or that the "arms" have collapsed and the thermostat isn't seated properly.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2012 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36515 posts
Member since Apr 99
<double post>

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-19-2013).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2012 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
The heater core is always supplied with coolant so if you are feeling heat from the vents check the air diverter door. You could be getting some unwanted air movement through the heater core.
Meatstick62

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2012 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Meatstick62Send a Private Message to Meatstick62Direct Link to This Post
I installed a 195 degree tstat. The arms on the tstat are ok and it's sitting in there snuggly.

Where is the air diverter door?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2012 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I installed a 195 degree tstat. The arms on the tstat are ok and it's sitting in there snuggly.

I suspect your thermostat is stuck open then, although if you're basing your readings on your temperature gauge (as opposed to ALDL or a scan tool) the temps could be way off.

The wierd part is that it seems to be running too cold. After a 30-45 minute drive, it never reached operating temp and never stayed above 180 for long. On the highway or at any decent speed the temps would fall below 160 degrees and never go higher.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-08-2012).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2012 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
All the Fiero gauges are notoriously wrong. Always compare the readings to a test gauge.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2012 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post

Where is the air diverter door?

It's in the air box up front by the heater core. Check out this thread where people have found trash blocking their core. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/124499.html

When you switch from cold to hot do you hear the door move? Mine makes a "clunk" when I hit the stop at either full hot or full cold.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2012 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
All the Fiero gauges are notoriously wrong. Always compare the readings to a test gauge.

Yes Never trust dash gauge...
Use thermometer, IR ones are cheap, on Tstat housing or scan ECM to get a good reading.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Meatstick62

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2012 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Meatstick62Send a Private Message to Meatstick62Direct Link to This Post
I'd say that maybe the dash gauge isn't reading correctly, but whenever it reads low the engine pops and gargles when shifting as if it were running rich (and cold).

I have an IR thermometer that I'll try to use on the tstat housing and compare those measurements to the dash gauge. The car is still running pretty cool. On a 10 minute drive this morning in 60 degree ambient temperature air the gauge didn't reach much above 180 degrees.

[This message has been edited by Meatstick62 (edited 09-10-2012).]

Meatstick62

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2012 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Meatstick62Send a Private Message to Meatstick62Direct Link to This Post
Just an update for those who helped or may have a similar issue:

The car is running fine now and I was able to confirm that the gauge is reading fairly accurately by using the IR thermometer. I also verified that the T-stat opens around 195 by boiling it in a pot of water and watching it open. I replaced my incorrect coolant expansion tank with the proper OEM one and drained and refilled drained the cooling system making sure to follow all of the advice here and in the Ogre's cave. I think that my original issue might have just been that the system wasn't fully burped of air. The car gets up to about 200 on my morning commute (we've had some cool mornings here in OH this past week) and it will sometimes reach 220 if stopped at a light or on a longer drive. I only saw the gauge go over 220 once and the most it ever reach was maybe 230 (the fans may or may not have kicked on).
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2012 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I think that my original issue might have just been that the system wasn't fully burped of air.

Thanks for reporting back.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock