Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Has anybody tried these (ebay dogbone bushings)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Has anybody tried these (ebay dogbone bushings) by Swampthing
Started on: 07-19-2012 08:45 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 07-21-2012 08:42 PM
Swampthing

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SwampthingSend a Private Message to SwampthingDirect Link to This Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360294289890?

It says they are a direct fit for all fieros with the 2.5. On a related note i have read that poly on a 2.5 auto may make my teeth fall out anybody run poly on theirs?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
I can't link to ebay from this computer, but having just purchased some poly bushings listed for the stock 88 2.5 dogbone - buyer beware.

The inside surface of the stock dogbone is not a uniform circular tube that you can just slide a normal round poly bushing into. The inner surface is tapered and it also has an inner lip. To get mine to fit, I had to put them in the lathe and turn the needed taper into the bushings. Once I did that, I was able to install them.
Swampthing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SwampthingSend a Private Message to SwampthingDirect Link to This Post
Still have your teeth?
crashyoung

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungDirect Link to This Post
I have poly on my 2.5L dog bone and still have my teeth, and the engine no longer sways back and forth on worn rubber...
OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroDirect Link to This Post
Poly dogbone alone will not make the drivetrain stiff enough to be harsh ride. Now if you had poly engine mounts, tranny mounts, control arm bushings AND dog bone, that would be different.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Swampthing:

Still have your teeth?

Yeah.

I have an 88 2.5 with the force balancer, so the change in vibrations to the chassis were minimal, but there was an increase (my side mirrors now vibrate at idle). Everything smooths out when you get the RPM's up and start moving.
Swampthing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SwampthingSend a Private Message to SwampthingDirect Link to This Post
Mine is also an 88 2.5. Of course i notice that i seem to have severe converter shudder between 35-40 under mild throttle/cruising. I imagine the poly would make that a little more unpleasant
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Swampthing:

Mine is also an 88 2.5. Of course i notice that i seem to have severe converter shudder between 35-40 under mild throttle/cruising. I imagine the poly would make that a little more unpleasant

That is the speed range at which the TCC locks up. It is best to either stay above, or below the lock up point so it isn't locking/unlocking all the time. You will notice quite a bit more firmness during the shifts and when you let of the gas as the driveline can't rock back & forth during these transitions. To me it makes the car feel more sportier... but isn't.
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungDirect Link to This Post
I have the mirror vibration too, now that you mention it.
But it is nothing like my Nova with solid motor mounts...
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2012 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Need an old style dog bone.
New style need to mod the bushings.
See my cave, torque strut in 4cyl engine section.

86(.5) and up w/ auto trans will vibrate more but better to stop breaking parts because mount setup really sucks.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2012 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I believe that 84-86 old style dog bones ( 4's and V6 engines) have a opening that you can just fit the prothane bushings into without machining. The newer style of dogbones have a sizable ridge that will need to be machined out.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock