ECM Scan Tool (Fiero Store) by trivet
Started on: 06-28-2012 03:47 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: davikan on 04-22-2013 02:22 PM
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have the ECM Scan Tool from the Fiero Store? Is it worth it?

I like the idea, but was wondering how practical the application is, or if there is a cheaper alternative. $115 seems a bit much for a PC adapter and software that can be downloaded for free online. I'm all for supporting suppliers for our cars, but this particular item seems a bit pricey.

Any opinions about this or any other similiar products?

I have a OBD II scan tool for my other cars, is there any other tool out there that can pull the same info?

------------------
Tim
'87 GT Auto
Med Red Metallic
78K miles
Bay City, MI

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Well.......after looking at it maybe it does something. I have not heard of anybody using it.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 06-28-2012).]

trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetDirect Link to This Post

What? There is nothing to scan.

Does it say "thirty-two" in stead of "blink-blink-blink-----blink-blink"?

Than would be a "code reader", and yes, that is exactly what they do. You can get those at any Autozone for $50, or online for $15

The ECM tool will give you real time info, RPM, coolant temp, etc.....great way to check/calibrate your gauges, help diagnose issues. I'm just looking for opinons on the quality/effectivness of the Fiero Stores ECM Tool, or some suggestions for a less expensive alternative.

------------------
Tim
'87 GT Auto
Med Red Metallic
78K miles
Bay City, MI

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Red Devil River 12 pin ALDL to USB cable - $55.00 shipped

http://www.reddevilriver.com/aldl.html

TunerPro RT 100% operational and 'free' after a 15 second nag screen.

http://tunerpro.net

There are other free scanner programs.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 06-28-2012).]

trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetDirect Link to This Post
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! Have you used this with Tuner Pro? How do you like it?

------------------
Tim
'87 GT Auto
Med Red Metallic
78K miles
Bay City, MI

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I have used it with TunerPro.

Here are some videos I have made.

http://www.youtube.com/play...C45&feature=view_all

These are with my old 95 S10, but the Fiero is about the same.

Note #1 - TunerPro works with all 2.8s and 84-86 2.5s

Note #2 - Red Devil River is my web site and yes I make the cables.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Use? see my cave, scan tool help, more tool in ECM section.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
I have purchased on of phonedawgz's cables and they are of high quality!
Also read my '7730 and Cadillac 4.9 PCM hooked up to the Fiero ALDL port.
trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetDirect Link to This Post

Yeah I have used it with TunerPro.

Here are some videos I have made.

http://www.youtube.com/play...C45&feature=view_all

These are with my old 95 S10, but the Fiero is about the same.

Note #1 - TunerPro works with all 2.8s and 84-86 2.5s

Note #2 - Red Devil River is my web site and yes I make the cables.

Since the cables are made by a PFF member...SOLD!

PM sent

------------------
Tim
'87 GT Auto
Med Red Metallic
78K miles
Bay City, MI

fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeDirect Link to This Post
Hi there,

I'm the one making the Fiero Store scantool, so it's also made by a PFF member ;-)

Since the topic comes up every now and then, let me comment on what it is, what it does, etc.

The Code readers you get for $30 at Autozone are nothing more than a paper clip, those will only blink codes. A real Scantool lets you examine the ECM data in real time, so you can read temperatures, voltages, etc.

The Fierostore Scantool is the USB ScanConverter that is described on my web pages. It contains a small micro controller that decodes the protocol, and includes the USB adapter, so it does not require a separate USB to serial converter cable. It comes with the proper Metripack pins that are intended for the Fiero's ALDL Connector, so it does not damage the Fiero connector. It does not require modification to the Fiero. And it comes with the source code so you can play with it in different languages (VB, C#). The data can also be exported to Excel. The fact that it contains electronics makes it more expensive unfortunately. The cheaper cables contain a standard USB to serial converter and only a level shifter circuit, the decoding is done by the PC. Some of the cheaper cables do have the right connector pins, some don't.

As for the ScanConverter pricing, well, the Fierostore has to pay customs and shipping, and of course also needs to make a profit. You probably know TFS marks up their prices quite a bit, but if they don't make enough profit, who will be left to keep our Fieros on the road. Rest assured that most of the profit does not end up in my pocket, but that's ok.

The ScanConverter was intended as a plug and play solution, small so you can carry it along, and compatible with all PC's, regardless of their serial ports. It has been around since before Pennock's BTW, its roots go back to the Fiero mailing list (I still remember Tin Man, Scott Backer, Peter Frise, etc.), Back before there was a man in the middle, before it had a box, it would convert ALDL to proper RS232. Those schematics are still on my website for those who are interested, but nobody has RS232 anymore these days. The USB version would even work with MacOS or Linux, but nobody is interested in that I guess.

Well, I hope you have a better insight now, I'll be happy to explain anything you're interested in...

[This message has been edited by fieroluke (edited 07-01-2012).]

montage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for montageSend a Private Message to montageDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget the time you would save with the Fiero Store tool, no need to spend lots of time getting your computer, programs, and interface all working.
PFF
System Bot
turboguy327

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroluke:

Hi there,

I'm the one making the Fiero Store scantool, so it's also made by a PFF member ;-)

Since the topic comes up every now and then, let me comment on what it is, what it does, etc.

The Code readers you get for $30 at Autozone are nothing more than a paper clip, those will only blink codes. A real Scantool lets you examine the ECM data in real time, so you can read temperatures, voltages, etc.

The Fierostore Scantool is the USB ScanConverter that is described on my web pages. It contains a small micro controller that decodes the protocol, and includes the USB adapter, so it does not require a separate USB to serial converter cable. It comes with the proper Metripack pins that are intended for the Fiero's ALDL Connector, so it does not damage the Fiero connector. It does not require modification to the Fiero. And it comes with the source code so you can play with it in different languages (VB, C#). The data can also be exported to Excel. The fact that it contains electronics makes it more expensive unfortunately. The cheaper cables contain a standard USB to serial converter and only a level shifter circuit, the decoding is done by the PC. Some of the cheaper cables do have the right connector pins, some don't.

As for the ScanConverter pricing, well, the Fierostore has to pay customs and shipping, and of course also needs to make a profit. You probably know TFS marks up their prices quite a bit, but if they don't make enough profit, who will be left to keep our Fieros on the road. Rest assured that most of the profit does not end up in my pocket, but that's ok.

The ScanConverter was intended as a plug and play solution, small so you can carry it along, and compatible with all PC's, regardless of their serial ports. It has been around since before Pennock's BTW, its roots go back to the Fiero mailing list (I still remember Tin Man, Scott Backer, Peter Frise, etc.), Back before there was a man in the middle, before it had a box, it would convert ALDL to proper RS232. Those schematics are still on my website for those who are interested, but nobody has RS232 anymore these days. The USB version would even work with MacOS or Linux, but nobody is interested in that I guess.

Well, I hope you have a better insight now, I'll be happy to explain anything you're interested in...

Any way it would work with a apple??
SkyeBologna

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkyeBolognaClick Here to visit SkyeBologna's HomePageSend a Private Message to SkyeBolognaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by turboguy327:

Any way it would work with a apple??

Originally posted by fieroluke:

The USB version would even work with MacOS or Linux.

fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I've hooked it up to my Mac, it recognizes the hardware and loads the driver, so from a hardware point of view it should work.
But an application would need to be written, I haven't had time to really learn Objective C and work with Xcode...
davikan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davikanClick Here to visit davikan's HomePageSend a Private Message to davikanDirect Link to This Post
I recently upgraded to a Windows 7 Laptop, and although I have the USB ScanConverter that's available through The Fiero Store, the Version 1.3.0 software that came with it no longer works.

Does anyone have any leads about where to purchase updated software, or any insights on making Version 1.3.0 work with Windows 7 Home Edition?

THANKS!

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock