Started on: 06-24-2012 10:59 AM
Replies: 205
Last post by: Bloozberry on 05-20-2013 10:04 PM
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2013 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Muuuuch better.
IP: Logged
Yarmouth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2013 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Yarmouth FieroSend a Private Message to Yarmouth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well, we got to stop by and visit with Blooz this morning. We also took along our new wheels and got to try them on his 355 body. I think they look pretty good. Whew......... the pressure to pick the right wheels and tires for a project car that is little more than a bare chassis. But I think we'll be safe with our selection. Here are a couple shots, although I am a terrible photographer. But in my defense, it's hard to focus on taking good pictures when you are surrounded by so many cool cars, engines and various parts. Its always a treat to visit his shop.

We also got to talk suspension options, body modifications and materials.
Yesterday we picked up our transverse frame from the welding shop so hopefully this weekend we'll start installing it and adding the vertical braces and such. Then get all the parts blasted and primed and then welded to the chassis for the final time. Then........ off with its head (roof)......
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2013 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I see the photos are just dark enough to prevent anyone from seeing whether you have the tires on the correct sides of the car or not.

Those wheels are going to look great with an all black body.
Yarmouth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2013 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Yarmouth FieroSend a Private Message to Yarmouth FieroDirect Link to This Post
So... I've been working on a suitable design for connecting the upper tranverse frame to the lower frame rail. The main issue is how to get it welded as securely as possible because having it up against the back of the firewall and against the sheet metal connecting the B pillar to the lower frame rail (not shown in the drawing), access for full perimeter welding is quite limited. In the end I opted for a simple angled plate that caps the lower end of the vertical support as well as provides a somewhat secure anchor between the vertical support and the top and inside face of the lower frame rail. With it all tacked together, the entire assembly can be removed for welding completely around the perimeter of each joint and then returned to the chassis for installation and welding were possible. If I had more nerve, I'd remove much of the firewall sheet metal to allow for structural welding and then return the firewall sheet metal afterwards.

While I spent most of the day crouched in the engine bay fitting and refitting steel, I also fitted some cosmetic sheet metal on the inside face of the lower frame rail. ( It's remained uncompleted since I did the frame stretch). I'll complete the final welding and finishing when I complete the final welding of the transverse frame and supports.

Its quite tiring climbing in and out of the engine bay with step ladders all day long with gloves and welding apron on. I think if I ever do another Fiero like this, I'll build a permanent patio around the entire car with proper stairs and then just lift the car out when its done. Then put a hot tub in the hole.

Here is the drawing of the vertical transverse frame support and a picture of the parts tacked together in place. The camera flash sure lights up the ugliness of the unfinished welding.

Not sure if this counts as "making progress" on the project, but I did buy a rack for the new wheels. May as well have a nice place to store them as its going to be a long time before they are rolling down the road.

Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2013 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageDirect Link to This Post

I think if I ever do another Fiero like this, I'll build a permanent patio around the entire car with proper stairs and then just lift the car out when its done. Then put a hot tub in the hole.

LOL!

On your progress! Wish I could borrow you and Blooze for my upcoming project! I can handle the fiberglass aspect, but my days of machining and turning wrenches is very far in the past....guess I'll muddle through...albeit...slowly.

Looking great on the project. Tire rack makes for nice storage for the new shoes!

HAGO!

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2013 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Just when I was going to post the need for an update! Glad to see some progress being reported... I'm sure it's happening all the time but there are some stages that take 80% of the work and yet show only 1%. Have you confirmed that if you tack it all together you'll be able to pull it out of the engine bay in one piece? Your design in that area is what I'm going to be using so I'm keeping a close eye on this part... letting you make all the mistakes first

I think it's time this thread got moved to the Construction Zone... I'll send Cliff a PM and see what he says.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock