Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  How many sq ft of vinyl do I need to vinyl wrap a Fiero? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
How many sq ft of vinyl do I need to vinyl wrap a Fiero? by Austrian Import
Started on: 06-04-2012 08:59 PM
Replies: 62
Last post by: jwrape on 08-28-2012 06:42 AM
85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jwrape:

Ah, that's a eay one, let me show you here.
Watch how they fill in the light cavity here.
http://youtu.be/XI26GvKsrOE
Bascially heat, push in as far as needed, stick the edges and put a small slice in the center and then stick the rest and cut away extra

On the Fiero's front turn signals (im thinking of the deep aero bumper ones) you would not be able to just heat it to extremes like in the video and expect it to last. It will be over stretched and will pull back off the inside edges, allowing dirt and water to get in and the area will fail. Its just too little vinyl to cover that much area.

If you want your wrap to last, the smart move would be to wrap the inside of the area first, putting the seam at the top of the hole, and then wrap the rest. Cut your hole out leaving a half inch to wrap inside the turn signal opening. The seems are almost invisible and you dont have to worry about the wrap failing because the vinyl isnt stressed.

[This message has been edited by 85sliverGT (edited 06-10-2012).]

IP: Logged
jreigner

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jreignerSend a Private Message to jreignerDirect Link to This Post
Not true and take it from someone who has done that specific area, you must use 94 primer on the curves like that or it will ALL lift. Put cuts in the vinyl like has been mentioned is actually going to stress these areas more and it will, not possibly, but will split. As was mentioned before, anyone can do this, but the quality is largely dependent on a great amount of time to get that way.
85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post
What is not true?
jreigner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jreignerSend a Private Message to jreignerDirect Link to This Post
I should have used the quote button, but I feel the statement you made about how to wrap the front of the fiero was incorrect.
85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post

Maybe you dont understand what I was saying. If you cover the inside edges of the opening with a seperate piece of vinyl, there is nothing that could lift because the vinyl isn't stressed. I know you guys are experts with all the YouTube videos you've seen, but you can't make a 8"x3" (23sq inches) piece of vinyl cover the inside walls that are 5" deep (43sq inches). There is no vinyl on earth that you can stretch twice it's origional size and expect it to last, no matter how much primer 94 you use.

[This message has been edited by 85sliverGT (edited 06-11-2012).]

jreigner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jreignerSend a Private Message to jreignerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85sliverGT:

Maybe you dont understand what I was saying. If you cover the inside edges of the opening with a seperate piece of vinyl, there is nothing that could lift because the vinyl isn't stressed. I know you guys are experts with all the YouTube videos you've seen, but you can't make a 8"x3" (23sq inches) piece of vinyl cover the inside walls that are 5" deep (43sq inches). There is no vinyl on earth that you can stretch twice it's origional size and expect it to last, no matter how much primer 94 you use.

I did not learn vinyl wrapping from YouTube, but I do know where I learned my manners from.
85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post
A little hung up on one line eh? I retract my previous statement, you are NOT an expert because you've seen youtube videos. Good, lets move on. All you've said so far is that isn't the right way to do it...so what is? How would you wrap the turn signal openings? If you've done this in the past I wouldn't mind seeing pictures
jreigner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jreignerSend a Private Message to jreignerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85sliverGT:

I did not learn vinyl wrapping from YouTube, but I do know where I learned my manners from.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post06-11-2012 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jreigner:

think you made your point the first time

------------------
Is there anybody listening?
Is there anyone that sees what's going on?
Read between the lines,
criticize the words they're selling.
Think for yourself and feel the walls
become sand beneath your feet

jreigner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jreignerSend a Private Message to jreignerDirect Link to This Post
As far as I can see only two maybe three people on this thread actually have the experience to answer this thread. If you dont like my answer, fine. But I'm not using YouTube or guessing in anyway. This is why I dont post near as much as I read posts here.
dratts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
I would like to know more about this. My rebody has several cracks in the finish and I see this as a way of eliminating them. If anyone has personal experience in wrapping a car I would like to talk to them. If there are Internet references that would be cool too.
PFF
System Bot
85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post
jreigner- I answered the original question on the first page. We've moved onto how to properly install vinyl. It's become pretty clear you don't have the answers to my questions, which is why you keep ignoring them.

According to you, what would be the correct way to wrap the fieros front turn signals? If you wrapped yours by heating it and pushing it all in that opening, how is it looking now? Can we see some pictures of your experience?

[This message has been edited by 85sliverGT (edited 06-11-2012).]

85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post

85sliverGT

1525 posts
Member since Sep 2005
Dratts- if you have any wrap questions feel free to ask. I install graphics professionally. I have wrapped many, many vehicles, not just one as a weekend project, but hundreds.

The danger here is misinformation. All it takes is one YouTube video showing how stretchy the vinyl is and people think its a super material that can do anything. The key to being a good installer is knowing the materials capabilities, AND it's limitations.
jreigner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jreignerSend a Private Message to jreignerDirect Link to This Post
Yes your right, you can't make a 5" piece cover that space- I'm not being an ass by saying that. What I am saying is I didn't put a pizza hut logo on my door- I used primer and one piece covered and stretched over the aero nose of my gt. I do not do vinyl graphics for a living and I'm sure you'll be hard pressed to find more who do. So kudos to you for you experience, but I'm telling you what I have done and how I did it. I have at least enough sense to realize this is a forum of opinion AND fact. I'll be working on that pic- I don't have a real close up of the nose.
85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post
To answer E.Furgal's question "how do they do light holes?": This is how I would do it:

(to show how the vinyl is laid inside)

Not trying to make it pretty, just did it up quick to show how its done.
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post
I would say, after almost completing my wrap that it would take about 60"x 45 ft. But I would get 50' to have a little extra.

a 60"x20' roll does a lot but the hoods take a lot of material to cover and then little odds and ends take up a good amount too.

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/085541.html

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
This must have been asked before, But WHAT is the "Purpose" for this stuff ?? Why not just paint the car ?
SSN669chris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SSN669chrisSend a Private Message to SSN669chrisDirect Link to This Post
Because I cannot afford this in paint

I have had the wrap since February with 8000 miles and the vinyl has held up excellent.
urbex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for urbexClick Here to visit urbex's HomePageSend a Private Message to urbexDirect Link to This Post
This might have been asked already..but I didn't feel like reading through two pages of childish bickering...

What's it like to remove this stuff after it's been stuck to the car for 10+ years?
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2012 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by urbex:

This might have been asked already..but I didn't feel like reading through two pages of childish bickering...

What's it like to remove this stuff after it's been stuck to the car for 10+ years?

I removed some of mine the other day. It was well stuck but still pulled right off.
After 10 yrs. who knows. It's still a newer product than ten years. It has been used on Nascar for years. They wrap all their cars.
3084me

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2012 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3084meSend a Private Message to 3084meDirect Link to This Post
For those of you who have used this, I have a question for you.

I have a 1989 Jaguar XJS V-12. The paint is in excellent shape but the previous owner must have machine buffed the car. The entire car is very glossy but the trunk area and drivers side sail panel area were "burned through" the clear coat and have started to fade. (The paint is original laquer).

I'm going to prep and paint the car next year but it will be outside until then and I'd like to cover the faded area with a gloss black wrap to prevent the paint from further oxidizing etc. Will I be able to remove the vinyl wrap easily over a "more flatter / faded surface" (as opposed to more glossy paint surface)?

I just don't want any surface rust starting (I can see just a tiny bit of that happening now and I don't really want it to go any further).

Any thoughts?? From some of the posts I've read -including the one right above this one, - it appears that it removes "fairly easily".

[This message has been edited by 3084me (edited 08-26-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
signtist2004

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for signtist2004Send a Private Message to signtist2004Direct Link to This Post
Hi... I wrapped a Fiero that i sold a few years back..... The paint was reallybad, and i wanted to practice... I work at a Vinyl shop so i got the vinyl for free, not sure how much i actually used,. the vinyl color was " cardinal red" then i decaled it up after. see the photobucket site for other pics and details on how i did it.... here is the before and after pic....

LINK TO PHOTOBUCKET:

http://s999.photobucket.com...004/#!cpZZ2QQtppZZ16

jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2012 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post
It looks like mine is gonna take a 60"x40' roll to complete.

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/085541.html

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave