Roll Bar questions by Big Paul
Started on: 03-19-2012 10:58 PM
Replies: 52
Last post by: Big Paul on 06-08-2012 04:12 PM
mcguiver3

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Direct Link to This Post
Paul.
I think the first and last bends should have a rotation bend as well to conform to the lower area of the fire wall near the floor.
Not sure what the angle actually is but mine looks about 10-15 deg.
Bob
IP: Logged
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcguiver3:

Paul.
I think the first and last bends should have a rotation bend as well to conform to the lower area of the fire wall near the floor.
Not sure what the angle actually is but mine looks about 10-15 deg.
Bob

Do they bend towards the firewall or away from it? Wouldn't this make putting the cross brace in very difficult? Do you know if it is completly necessary?

Thanks,
Paul
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Direct Link to This Post
They bend twords the front of the car about 8-10" from the bottom.
I will look at mine to verify the measurement. It's in the hauler now.
The cross brace is not a problem either it mounts about where the first rotational bend on the passenger side is.

Bob
Big Paul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2012 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulDirect Link to This Post

Here is my idea for mounting the bottom plates. Does this sound like it will work well

1. 1/8 plate
2. Weld grade 5 or higher bolts onto it upside down
3. Weld plate to floor of car
4. Drill holes into 3/16 plate and weld to bottom of roll bar
5. Install carpet back into car and cut holes for bolts to go through
6. Bolt 3/16 plate with roll bar to 1/8 plate through holes in carpet with grade 5 or higher nuts

I am hoping to have the bar finished by next week. It's already bent and now I just need to get it fit and build the mounting points and diagonal bar. I'll post some pictures of it later
Big Paul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2012 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulDirect Link to This Post
Anyone?? I would like to figure out my mounts soon so I can finish this up and pass the class lol.

Here's a picture of the bar after it got bent. The two bottom. sections where made longer on purpose just to be safe. I think I have them trimmed down to roughly the correct shape and size. Wonder if anyone will be able to figure out what kind of vehicle it is leaning against. It's heavily modified and not all the way put together yet. One of the many projects my shop teacher is working on
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2012 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering if the roll bar would be allowed (under NHRA rules) to have the main hoop located in such a way that it would connect to the rear frame rails and tuck up under the lip behind the rear window? Anybody know? I read the section in the rule book but couldn't find anything relevant to this scenario since most of iy assumed you had a front engined car.

I was thinking of building mine that way with rear braces coming down to the strut towers... plus the halo with front supports to the floor board and braces to the front cradle area... Doorbars, etc...

[This message has been edited by 2002z28ssconv (edited 05-03-2012).]

Big Paul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2012 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2002z28ssconv:

I was wondering if the roll bar would be allowed (under NHRA rules) to have the main hoop located in such a way that it would connect to the rear frame rails and tuck up under the lip behind the rear window? Anybody know? I read the section in the rule book but couldn't find anything relevant to this scenario since most of iy assumed you had a front engined car.

I was thinking of building mine that way with rear braces coming down to the strut towers... plus the halo with front supports to the floor board and braces to the front cradle area... Doorbars, etc...

That does sound cool. The only thing I can think of is if it is still within the certain distance behind the driver. But then again I know very little about all these rules. I would get more peoples opinions as well.

Paul
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2012 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Direct Link to This Post
Paul,
Make sure you have the room to do this and still have the seat travel.
We made offset brackets to mount to the top of the door sill area and then drop down to the lower floor.
my lower bends are not as sever as yours and hug the side panels and rear fire wall.
Of course my car is gutted. If I still had the carpet and interior trim it would probably be different.

Bob
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2012 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Direct Link to This Post

mcguiver3

774 posts
Member since Jan 2012
Also, the floor in that area is very thin.
Watch out when you weld those plates to the floor.
I should have said this before but in our club, using the SCCA rules
we require the bar in F Prepared even though the Fiero has a substantial roll hoop built in
The bar is redundant and of not much use for autocrossing and track events.
I've witnessed a Fiero go airborne at Lime Rock Park and land on it's roof and the
structure held with no deflection. The A pillars bent but the main roof section was intact.

Bob
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2012 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvDirect Link to This Post
I realize my previous description wasn't that great. So I drew some pictures...
In the following drawings, the broken blue line represents the rear window and the firewall.

This is what I think most cages resemble. I'm pretty sure this way will keep you NHRA legal.

This is another idea I had, moving the rear support outside the firewall and onto the rear frame rails. I see this as being a much stronger anchor than the floor's thin sheet metal.

Here is the one that I'd really like to try but I have my doubts about its legality. The rear hoop is relocated on the outside of the rear window.

Anybody know?
Big Paul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2012 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulDirect Link to This Post
Okay guy's I've been pretty busy lately. Here's what I've done:

I picked up some 3/16 plate to make the mounts with. I read that for removable bars you need 3/16 instead of 1/8. Still thinking about how I'm going to do this. I have 7 work days left before I need it to be done, otherwise I fail the class.

I test fit the bar in my car some more. It's not mounted yet. I need to move the computer and brake light to get it at the right height.

Started making the shoulder harness bar. I think It's just about the right height. Everything is tacked into place.

Went to a car show.

Almost lost my license.

And took my Fiero to two proms, but I'm not sure if I'm going to post up pictures of that. I'm still cleaning body glitter off of my car
PFF
System Bot
Big Paul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulDirect Link to This Post
Okay guys! the bar has been completed! I have some stuff I need to do first before I actually install it though. (Remove old window tint from previous owner, Paint bar, Figure out how I want the interior to look when It's finished) Here some picture of the bar though. The welds aren't pretty, but they are structural. I got an A+

This is the inspection hole I drilled

I will probably start an actual build thread for my car this summer. I picked up a set of these that need some work

Working on a hood vent (This is an older picture, I'm a little further than this)

And I have a chin spoiler from an old bumper to install. I should be busy this summer with all of this as well as work and friends!

[This message has been edited by Big Paul (edited 05-18-2012).]

Big Paul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulDirect Link to This Post
I need to repay my parents back for all the transmission work I had done as well as pay for my ticket. So the roll bar is for sale:
http://cedarrapids.craigsli.../pts/3065742349.html

$300 OBO

OR trade for a motorcycle or late 70's early 80's moped

[This message has been edited by Big Paul (edited 06-08-2012).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave