Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  I uncovered never seen photos of the Gilman Mill and Drill machine at the Fiero Plant (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
I uncovered never seen photos of the Gilman Mill and Drill machine at the Fiero Plant by mattman134
Started on: 06-09-2011 09:10 PM
Replies: 57
Last post by: Joseph Upson on 06-19-2013 06:33 AM
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I'm wondering why it needed such massive looking drills just to make holes in the plastic tabs on the body? Seems like it wouldn't take such a massive rig.

I believe it mills and drills the metal tabs on the chassis the panels fasten to.
IP: Logged
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstDirect Link to This Post
Absolutely amazing information! Thank you for sharing!

FieroG97J you were so privileged to thumb through and be able to save a wealth of Fiero history! It would be awesome if you could share some photos of the prototype interiors and whole cars with PFF members.

P.S., make sure your Will states that all your Fiero files and records are to be donated to a Fiero museum or historical group rather than being hauled to the dump in case it hasen't been done before you pass away. It would be tragic to find this information ended-up being destroyed.

------------------
Now new owner of a Black TTop 88 Fiero GT and owner of a Silver 88 Fiero GT. Also a second time owner of an 85 Fiero GT. Bought my first fully loaded Red Fiero GT new in 1985. Fiero's are Fabulous, Fix'em and have Fun! Note, Avatar picture is Mr. Bean (not me, ha ha).

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2012 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SCCA FIERO:

I believe it mills and drills the metal tabs on the chassis the panels fasten to.

There are a series of epoxy pads riveted to the steel body. The mill/drill machine mills them all to height and drills all the mounting holes in the epoxy pads such that the panels fit the same way on every body.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2012 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

Wow... Boy have we come a long way... One or two small robots now prolly does the same thing and you dont need a 2k sq ft area to fit them Look at all the steel used to make that beast! Daaaaammmm, that sucker is big; makes my drill-press look like a sewing needle. You could power a small town w/ the amount of electricity that thing uses...

I believe the reason this machine is so massive is, A) to keep all the drills aligned for repeatability, so that all Fieros have the same hole pattern, and B) to have the machine be able to monitor all the Drill/mill heads and signal when replacement is necessary.....However, I am sure that a new fixture could be substantially lighter and less complicated, allowing electronics to run most of it and do a better job of monitoring.......I still believe this was an amazing technological leap, and created a realatively high-quality aligned body.

firejo24

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2012 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firejo24Send a Private Message to firejo24Direct Link to This Post
Can you imagine how much better the Fiero would be if it were built with today’s technology? I work in the Industrial Automation industry and in the last 10 to 15 years the precision has increase 100 fold (if not more). The way the car was built wouldn’t be necessary as the frame and panels would be so precise that they would fit without any adjustments needed at all. Oh well.
PontiacJoe1995

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2012 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJoe1995Send a Private Message to PontiacJoe1995Direct Link to This Post
Neat! Thanks for sharing!

------------------
1985 Pontiac Fiero GT
1987 Merkur XR4Ti
1994 Ford Taurus SHO ( Sold )
Subaru Justy , Isuzu Impulse , SAAB 900 Turbo or a Pontiac Sunbird Turbo wanted.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2012 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by firejo24:

Can you imagine how much better the Fiero would be if it were built with today’s technology? I work in the Industrial Automation industry and in the last 10 to 15 years the precision has increase 100 fold (if not more). The way the car was built wouldn’t be necessary as the frame and panels would be so precise that they would fit without any adjustments needed at all. Oh well.

Wow, can you imagine a Fiero with tight fitting body panels? lol I bondo'd my panels together because I didn't like the gaps.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

I suspect that part of the reason that the Fiero was built that way is so that the required precision for assembling the body would be much lower. The steel could be assembled with a relative lack of precision and the mill/drill process would make up for it. This was possible because the rear quarters were not integral with the body as they are with most metal bodies cars.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
That was awesome, thank you!
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamDirect Link to This Post
What happened to the pics? Just my luck, I get time to look at them and get red Xs..
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

What happened to the pics? Just my luck, I get time to look at them and get red Xs..

Pics work for me?
PFF
System Bot
GTMN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2013 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMNSend a Private Message to GTMNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I'm wondering why it needed such massive looking drills just to make holes in the plastic tabs on the body? Seems like it wouldn't take such a massive rig.

They weren't just drills, each mill and drill head milled the epoxy-in-metal tabs down to the correct height thickness and drilled the mounting hole in it at the same time

oops already answered, I missed a page

[This message has been edited by GTMN (edited 01-30-2013).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-08-2013 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
A bump for later review. Awesome original post!
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2013 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post
Wow! thanks for bumping this thread Tony, I missed it the first time around.
Delta_32-1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Delta_32-1Send a Private Message to Delta_32-1Direct Link to This Post

Holy moly this is spectacular
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post
Too good not to share for 30th so that anyone recently into Fiero will know how the space frame was created.
Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Direct Link to This Post
I had not seen this when it was originally posted. This literature is phenomenal. It's got to be one of the coolest pieces of literature I've seen for the Fiero, I'd love to have this piece in my collection.

Thanks for posting it!
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

I guess that's why so many cars are leaving the factory now without slotted strut holes for camber adjustment.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock