Quieting a Duke Engine... by White 84 SE
Started on: 09-20-2009 06:04 PM
Replies: 99
Last post by: fasttommy on 06-08-2012 12:14 PM
White 84 SE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Am I missing something here? Why is there even a problem with "lash" on an engine with hydraulic lifters?

I'd have to think that if the hydraulic lifters (assuming that they are in decent shape) can't make up for a bit of wear in the valve train, then the whole engine must be a real mess.

No way dude! I just rebuilt the whole thing. Just want it as smooth and quiet as possible even if I were to do something unconventional. You dont have any suggestions?

IP: Logged
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post

White 84 SE

812 posts
Member since Nov 2008
For those following this thread.... I found they have lead flashing for roofing and such. This seems like it would be a very good sound deadening material, esp for the firewall and trunk.

------------------
84 Duke, Holley TBI, Manual Trans 4.10, CompuCam, White

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by White 84 SE:

I just rebuilt the whole thing. Just want it as smooth and quiet as possible even if I were to do something unconventional. You dont have any suggestions?

My suggestion was to allow the hydraulic lifters to do their job , and that job is to eliminate any free play in the valve train (as long as the lifters themselves have been set up properly).

White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 05:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post
cool... (Dontya be dissin ma Duke..laughs) I didnt realize the lifters take up slack. I thought they just pump up oil. Seems like there is just inherent noise...... lead flashing used for noise barrier may work.

------------------

[This message has been edited by White 84 SE (edited 10-01-2009).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I didnt realize the lifters take up slack. I thought they just pump up oil.

You have much to learn, grasshopper.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Hold up here!....
The rocker pivots on the ball. Shimming can only raise the rockers. What you guys talking about? I dont quite understand. It's hurting my brain!!!

Like this...

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Isn't it a nut on top of the pivot ball?
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Like this...

Woah! It's like THAT? Oh maaaan! Well that solves that!! Thanks a TON Ogre!!!

------------------

White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post

White 84 SE

812 posts
Member since Nov 2008
Patrick....no I think Ogre's got it right come to think of it. Man, I dissassembled and cleaned it but somehow I forgot the structure of it.... Musta been tired....

------------------

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick....no I think Ogre's got it right come to think of it. Man, I dissassembled and cleaned it but somehow I forgot the structure of it.... Musta been tired....

If it's anything like a V8 Chevy, it's a stud with a nut on the top.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Isn't it a nut on top of the pivot ball?

No. Bolt.

Nut on Fiero V6. V6 don't need shim washer.

Woah! It's like THAT? Oh maaaan! Well that solves that!! Thanks a TON Ogre!!!

Picture...

Originally posted by Patrick:[/B[QUOTE][B]Originally posted by Patrick:
Am I missing something here? Why is there even a problem with "lash" on an engine with hydraulic lifters?

Too loose from GM. Bean counter cause a problem. Lifter can't take up enough. Especial when car gets old. Shim fix that and it's cheap.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the clarification, Ogre. I’ve never had the valve cover off a duke. I didn’t realize they were so archaic!

This has got me to thinking - I'm sure this has been suggested before, but couldn't studs be screwed into the duke's block instead of using the bolts, and then use nuts and adjust the lifters the same way as on the V6/Chevy V8.

Yeah, I know shims are cheaper, but theoretically, couldn't studs (and nuts) be used?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-01-2009).]

mountainman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mountainmanSend a Private Message to mountainmanDirect Link to This Post
Patrick, yes you can put studs in the duke head. Chevy LS1 LS2 aftermarket rocker arm studs work. Then you can use Harland Sharp Roller tip rocker arms (chevy inline six) . I have not got it all installed yet, but everything looks good. I hope it is quieter and it should pick up a few HP. jm
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post
O.k> just to recap here... To Quiet a Duke: check exhaust for leaks and seal as needed; Spray or better paint on sound deadener where you can; lead shielding on firewall, trunk, inside valve cover and over lifter cover; synthetic oil; tighten up a loose valvetrain by replacement parts or shims; replace perch bolts with studs and a set of roller rockers;

Anything else? perhaps I majorly missed something....
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
I have a V6 and don't know what a duke valve cover is like...but from pictures it looks like stamped steel.

If it's like a tin can, kind of thin, and easily transmits vibration like a bell, then try coating it with something heavy, and heat resistant.

Pickup truck bedliner in a can might work, and looks okay.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2009 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

I have a V6 and don't know what a duke valve cover is like...but from pictures it looks like stamped steel.

If it's like a tin can, kind of thin, and easily transmits vibration like a bell,....

Not only the valve cover, but also the lifter cover, oil pan, and block itself.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2009 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mountainman:

Patrick, yes you can put studs in the duke head. Chevy LS1 LS2 aftermarket rocker arm studs work. Then you can use Harland Sharp Roller tip rocker arms (chevy inline six) . I have not got it all installed yet, but everything looks good. I hope it is quieter and it should pick up a few HP.

Hmmm.... interesting. If I keep one of my dukes I may look into doing that. I hope you report on how well it works out for you.

Thanks for the info.

[EDIT] By the way, are those roller tip rockers 1.5 or 1.6? If 1.5, why would you not have tried 1.6? Just curious.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-02-2009).]

Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2009 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
This idea may be far fetched, but I just woke up and my brain is still jello, but...

What if you could take an engine cover, like a 3800 or aurora 4.0 has, cut a hole the same diameter as the air cleaner cover, somehow mold the air cleaner cover to the engine cover (fiberglass, epoxy, etc..) then bolt the whole thing down over the duke via the air cleaner wing nuts. Perhaps this would help hold some noise in. Any thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Genopsyde (edited 10-02-2009).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2009 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Genopsyde:

This idea may be far fetched, but I just woke up and my brain is still jello, but...

What if you could take an engine cover, like a 3800 or aurora 4.0 has, cut a hole the same diameter as the air cleaner cover, somehow mold the air cleaner cover to the engine cover (fiberglass, epoxy, etc..) then bolt the whole thing down over the duke via the air cleaner wing nuts. Perhaps this would help hold some noise in. Any thoughts?

Go back to bed.

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2009 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the clarification, Ogre. I’ve never had the valve cover off a duke. I didn’t realize they were so archaic!

This has got me to thinking - I'm sure this has been suggested before, but couldn't studs be screwed into the duke's block instead of using the bolts, and then use nuts and adjust the lifters the same way as on the V6/Chevy V8.

Yeah, I know shims are cheaper, but theoretically, couldn't studs (and nuts) be used?

Yes.
This for a GM BB V8 with same problem.... Won't fit L4 but same ideal.

The kit don't need pivot ball or rocker replace. Drop in for rocket bolt. (The extra black part fit inside the pivot ball.)
Can make one like kit? no ideal. It can be done but cost more.
If you replace rocker and stud then easier and cost more too.

------------------
(Jurassic Park)

Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2009 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post

Go back to bed.

I did..........and it didn't help.
PFF
System Bot
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2009 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Genopsyde:

I did..........and it didn't help.

lol...well what do you think of the lead lining idea?

------------------

mountainman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mountainmanSend a Private Message to mountainmanDirect Link to This Post
Patrick, the rockers are 1.75 stock. jm
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick, the rockers are 1.75 stock.

I guess it's just the 2.8 that's 1.5 stock then.

If 1.75 is stock on the duke (is it really?) then are there higher ratio rockers available to increase lift with the stock cam?

Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post

lol...well what do you think of the lead lining idea?

I don't like lead. don't like to handle it. I would just dynamat the whole engine bay

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post10-03-2009 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
do not use lead ,,the new heat resistant material will work just fine there is an insulation material less expensive called fatmat or something like that..
I would not shim it, unless you are a really experience gear head ,,same with the pushrods ,, they are just idea,s
The insulation can be installed any where you want it ,, even to the underside engine hood cover ,,the air vents will still let the sound out ,,
The problem with insulating the inner valve cover,, the stuff could fall off into the valves
My first Fiero was a GT duke,, very very quiet ,,it had an offenhauser fined valve cover ,,My duke fiero was build by a perfectionist..
You can install a larger finned aluminum valve cover over the one on there now ..it all depends on the amount of work and alteration you are tolerant of..egr,, aircleaner,ect..
I am going to build a GT duke it will have an aluminum Marine duke valve cover (or offenhauser) and an edelbrock elite aircleaner cover ..Now Im thinking seriously about a stock valve cover with another over it Hmmm..
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post
Well, I still think lead is a good idea but perhaps not on the inside of any covers.... Here's an observation: The exhaust manifold and valvetrain are positioned right at ear level and pretty close. And the engine vents are right up to the glass. It will be good to re-fab a cover to replace the rear grill and have the vents be further back. Instead of being directly over the spark plug wires it can be just over the air cleaner case much like the Porsches. An the vents can be made to direct noise outward rather than toward the cabin as the current design does. Also, since the exhaust manifold is right at ear level trading the thin stainless steel type with the thicker cast iron ones from Celebrities and Monzas will contain much of the noise too. Again, if the push rods are slacky the shims will quiet them.

By the way I went and purchased some "shims". The autoparts stores couldnt pull anything up out of the computers for the Duke so I went to Ace Hardware and got the thinnest "machine bushings" I could find that would fit. They are thicker than my gut tells me to use so I wont try them.

------------------

mountainman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mountainmanSend a Private Message to mountainmanDirect Link to This Post
Patrick, yeah the rockers are 1.75.. the only place I could find for roller rockers is Harland Sharp. They told me the rockers are 1.75. The studs were trial and error. The head takes an 8mm. thread, just so happens so does the LS1. The rocker side of the LS1 stud is 1.5 inches. If there was more spring presure, stud length might be an issue. I get 5 turns on the adjusting nut for a correctly adjusted lifter. With luck this should work ok. jm
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

With luck this should work ok.

Make sure you let us know!

White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post
Well Kiddies I went ahead and installed the rocker arm shims. Yep, its quieter. pretty smooth. The noise coming from the intake side of the valve cover is seriously reduced. I have a theory about why this worked. It looks like the pushrod guide plates which go in between the rocker bolts and the perches may have been an after thought. This raises the height of rocker arms about 1/32nd". By putting in shims above the rocker arms and ball one may be setting the rockers down 1/32nd" to the original intended design height. Just a thought.....

------------------

[This message has been edited by White 84 SE (edited 10-04-2009).]

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2009 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
I presume this was an easy install,,that anyone with moderate skills could do?? this is much easier & cheaper than the pushrods..
Now I know about shims,I had been unsure ,,never seen one!!!, thanks forum members ogre & white 84 se

Not bi curious ,,, I am very curious about the Harlan Sharp rockers,,inquiring minds want to know at a date when you have data

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 10-04-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by uhlanstan:

I presume this was an easy install,,that anyone with moderate skills could do?? this is much easier & cheaper than the pushrods..
Now I know about shims,I had been unsure ,,never seen one!!!, thanks forum members ogre & white 84 se

Not bi curious ,,, I am very curious about the Harlan Sharp rockers,,inquiring minds want to know at a date when you have data

Yea it was too easy to install, and $2 or less!! I had a look at those rockers and noticed they have play side to side. I believe this is what makes the clatter sound. On the underside the wear spot for the valve side is not exactly centered. I imagine that in action they may tend to sort of slide from side to side a bit especially if worn. The result would be a ting every other rev....times 8. New OEM rockers would help but not cure the problem. Roller rockers would help a lot. This is all a guess but the shims did quiet the Duke significantly. Still a few other things to try.

------------------

Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
where did you get them and what is the shim thickness?
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post
Hello again, got them from ACE Hardware, they are called machine bushings and they were pretty thin...like 1/16".

------------------

Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
do you remember the inner and outer diameter by chance?
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CDirect Link to This Post

Hello again, got them from ACE Hardware, they are called machine bushings and they were pretty thin...like 1/16".

I'm sorry but I'm just not understanding where you put the shim? could you elaborate a bit? Thanks.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroDirect Link to This Post
I have no experience with Shims, but I changed my 96 Impala (LT1) to roller rockers. Two different times..using different brands of rockers. I can tell you roller rockers did NOT quiet the engine. If anything they were louder than stock.

As far as where the sound is coming from, in my case...it is not the exhaust. I have no leaks, and I just recently intalled a brand new muffler and Cat (replacing my original which had been hollowed out) and to my disappointment, the noise from my engine was unchanged.

I think next I'll try the idea mentioned above of using a blanket to try to isolate the noise.
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
"Quieting a Duke Engine"

They all have the "diesel" clatter. Learn to live with it.

Dynomat the interior firewall and put some insulation back on the engine side of the firewall. That way, you won't mess up your Duke by trying to out engineer the engine designers (engineers).

White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TONY_C:

I'm sorry but I'm just not understanding where you put the shim? could you elaborate a bit? Thanks.

LOOK ABOVE 32 POSTS Ogre made pictures AND he labeled them.

------------------

[This message has been edited by White 84 SE (edited 04-05-2010).]

White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post

White 84 SE

812 posts
Member since Nov 2008

Originally posted by Finally_Mine_86_GT:

do you remember the inner and outer diameter by chance?

No but take out one of your rocker bolts...I mean you will do that anyway. Measure. All I remember is that the ones at ACE were a crazy perfect fit and that they dont have many to choose from.

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock