Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Electro Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Electro Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) by Toddster
Started on: 05-27-2007 12:39 PM
Replies: 74
Last post by: Spoon on 05-18-2012 06:39 PM
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
oh your s**ting me!
I looked for one of these about 6 mounths ago when I had the money.
words can not describe how depressed I am at this moment.
I guess all I can say is if it does not sell PM me and I will see what I can do at that time.
IP: Logged
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dsnover:

Reading through this thread, I went out to check my 88 Yellow GT to see about the RPO codes. However, they are too badly faded to read. Is there a way to find out what the RPO codes for a VIN are? 1G2PG1192JP214000 12/87 production date.

You can order a copy of the original bill of sale from Pontiac historical services for $35. That will have the RPOs. But first, I would check with the 88 Registry guy to see if he has it in his list. He has a thead in GFC.
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Sold.

Thanks for all the interest
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
Great investment. buy for $1200, sell for $3500.

rj
perry rhodan

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by autotronic:

Hi everyone and Happy New Year to everyone, Rich TRUESDELL here.

As Todd explained, I bought one of his power steering units and I will be doing a story on it in an upcoming issue of Pontiac Enthusiast. Because Pontiac Enthusiast is bi-monthly I can't imagine that it will appear before the summer. In the meantime I want to research the project taking advantage of some contacts I have at GM.

If anyone has any information to share, especially if you worked on the Fiero program and can shed light on the power steering program, I invite you to contact me at autotronic@aol.com.

Does anyone know if this article on the EHPS is now out?

autotronic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for autotronicClick Here to visit autotronic's HomePageSend a Private Message to autotronicDirect Link to This Post
I am selling the EHPS unit I bought from Todd back in November 2007. I am selling it for what I paid for it, $2500. This would seem to be far less than the last selling price of $3500. If anyone is interested in buying the unit, please contact me direct at richt at automotivetraveler dot com for complete details.

Thanks,

Rich Truesdell
Editor, Chevy Enthusiast (coming this November from Amos Automotive)
Contributing Editor, Cars & Parts, Pontiac Enthusiast, Musclecar Enthusiast
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2010 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
What is the latest Rich? I heard you sold the unit but I was wondering if you ever did the story.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Anyone ever think about reverse engineering it? My local university works on these types of things. I am not sure if they are interested in this older technology, but it may make for a good semester project.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I'd love to know the rationale for these units being abandoned by Toddster and Rich Truesdell who seemed to have great initial interest in installing them in their cars. What insurmountable problems did they come across? Where are the units now? Will they ever see the light of day again?
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
I acquired a EHPS unit from a yellow 88GT in Michigan last year and am working with some other people to see if the controller can be reverse engineered. If it can be reduced to a modern solid state device, we may try to replicate the EHPS as a kit for retrofit on at least 1988s.

Nelson

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

I'd love to know the rationale for these units being abandoned by Toddster and Rich Truesdell who seemed to have great initial interest in installing them in their cars. What insurmountable problems did they come across? Where are the units now? Will they ever see the light of day again?

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
When is someone gonna make a nice, clean bolt-in electric PS unit for the Fiero?
This is one item I would be willing to pay over a grand for(would pay that after my 3800 is finished); and thats hard to say considering thats about 50% of the value of most Fiero's out there... Reverse engineering (using more reliable, modern components) the 88 EHPS unit makes the most sense; as GM already did the engineering for us...

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 01-19-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2011 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

My impression is that these units were mainly purchased for their "collectible value" rather than to simply install and run, though the latter motivation probably existed at some point. Face it, on something like this when you bolt it on and start using it the value starts dropping, especially when non-replaceable parts start wearing out.
Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Direct Link to This Post
I can see one reason why they lost interest in the units, aside from the previously mentioned collectable nature of the units, these cars simply don't need power steering.

My car is so easy to drive I would not want power steering. I can feel every movement of the tires and every change in the road surface. It's nice to drive a rear or mid engine car again with manual steering.

And the added plus is a little exercise while driving.

It reminds me of the exercise I got riding motorcycles.

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
California

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jim_Martin29:

My car is so easy to drive I would not want power steering. I can feel every movement of the tires and every change in the road surface. It's nice to drive a rear or mid engine car again with manual steering.

The same old story. I have the 12.5:1 ratio power steering in my 88 Mera. One of the best things I ever did to that car. My same reply (and I do not want to start a flame war): if you have never driven a Fiero with this quick 12.5:1 power steering how can you say it is not worth it???? Take it from me. It is a fabulous thing to have. I know. I have it. Like driving a Indy car. A quick quarter turn of the steering wheel and around a corner you go. What a joy to dive. You can change the steering effort by changing the bypass spring in the power steering pump. Steering too easy. Just put in a different spring until you find what makes you happy.

Rodney Dickman
1998 Mera
Link Racing 12.5:1 power steering.

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
GT Auto has been working on PS using MR2 unit. The problem is that the components are $$$. He has put in a couple that work real well.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2011 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jim_Martin29:

I can see one reason why they lost interest in the units, aside from the previously mentioned collectable nature of the units, these cars simply don't need power steering.

As has been stated in previous threads on the subject, for some people with health conditions such as arthritis in the shoulders power steering is mandatory. This is more so on the pre-88 cars which have fairly high steering effort. For others, the main benefit would be quicker turning. I'd actually like it if I could reduce the steering ratio without increasing steering effort. The only way that could happen is with PS.
Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

My same reply (and I do not want to start a flame war): if you have never driven a Fiero with this quick 12.5:1 power steering how can you say it is not worth it????

I don't do flame wars, different people have different ideas and experiences. We can all learn from each other if we share ideas in a polite and respectful manner.

And, you are right. I have never driven one with power steering (although I have driven plenty of others with and without).

That said, Rodney, prove it to me and let me drive your car for a day. I promise to bring it back . . . eventually.

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
California

Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Direct Link to This Post

Jim_Martin29

702 posts
Member since Jun 2010

Originally posted by JazzMan:

for some people with health conditions such as arthritis in the shoulders power steering is mandatory.

Point taken. My wife has arthritis so I understand.

I just forget sometimes that, although I'm getting old (57) I'm still in pretty good shape. Come to think of it, my son reminded me of that this weekend while I was helping him and his family move. I picked up a heavy box and carried it to the truck. I didn't realize until after that everyone else had tried to move it and couldn't. They were waiting for a dolly.

When I picked it up and start walking with it my son just shook his head and said, "That's right, I forgot. You're super-strong," in a slightly sarcastic voice (he's like that).

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
California

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
My 2005 Malibu has some type of electric PS unit. I wonder?
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
I hope to eventually install my unit on an 88 Mera after the reverse engineering is completed. When you run 265 x 50 x 15 tires on all four corners, this would be a nice assist at low speeds.

Nelson

QUOTE]Originally posted by JazzMan:

My impression is that these units were mainly purchased for their "collectible value" rather than to simply install and run, though the latter motivation probably existed at some point. Face it, on something like this when you bolt it on and start using it the value starts dropping, especially when non-replaceable parts start wearing out.[/QUOTE]

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

I hope to eventually install my unit on an 88 Mera after the reverse engineering is completed. When you run 265 x 50 x 15 tires on all four corners, this would be a nice assist at low speeds.

Nelson

Any update on this?

[This message has been edited by Toddster (edited 08-01-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
For those that have played with the EHPS unit, do any of you know if the electrical plugs are available? Possibly a wiring harness? Both connectors....

One of our members here has a unit and is going to be installing it into his car and needs both of the connectors. Any help is certainly appreciated...

Mark
npdimonte

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2011 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for npdimonteSend a Private Message to npdimonteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefox:

For those that have played with the EHPS unit, do any of you know if the electrical plugs are available? Possibly a wiring harness? Both connectors....

One of our members here has a unit and is going to be installing it into his car and needs both of the connectors. Any help is certainly appreciated...

Mark

That member would be me, I have been able to come up with the updated part numbers and Mouser.com has been able to supply me all but the 2-pin header. But, I have been able to get the 2-pin header as a free sample but I'm still looking for a source that doesn't have a minimum, which is in the neighborhood of 100 pieces. I only know of two other prototype units, mine makes three and Nelson has the 4th non-prototype unit and I have a feeling there is a 5th unit, so 100 piece order is a last resort.

I will post my findings on my thread on all the part numbers in the future, at the moment I'm dealing with wife's medical issues. Thanks to Nelson here, he has given me valuable info on the wiring from his unit. I have also discovered extra wiring in my '88 that is undocumented, but looks like it was for the EHPS.

Thanks Mark for asking for me.

------------------
Nick D.
'88 Fiero GT 5-spd
'03 Jetta GLS TDI 5-spd

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2011 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by npdimonte:
That member would be me, I have been able to come up with the updated part numbers and Mouser.com has been able to supply me all but the 2-pin header. But, I have been able to get the 2-pin header as a free sample but I'm still looking for a source that doesn't have a minimum, which is in the neighborhood of 100 pieces. I only know of two other prototype units, mine makes three and Nelson has the 4th non-prototype unit and I have a feeling there is a 5th unit, so 100 piece order is a last resort.

I will post my findings on my thread on all the part numbers in the future, at the moment I'm dealing with wife's medical issues. Thanks to Nelson here, he has given me valuable info on the wiring from his unit. I have also discovered extra wiring in my '88 that is undocumented, but looks like it was for the EHPS.

Thanks Mark for asking for me.

If you can post the part numbers here for posterity that would be great. I want to document as much of the EHPS as possible. I had a power supply cable at one point but the plugs had been cut off.

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2011 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Amazing how many of these have been saved from destruction, considering how many prototypes were probably made!
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2011 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
The unit is currently being bench tested on another 88 Fiero. If it proves fully functional, I will install it on an 88 Mera. I now understand that I may have to relocate my battery (currently installed behind the spare tire) for the EHPS unit to be installed in the "stock" location.

Nelson

Originally posted by Toddster:

Any update on this?

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2011 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

The unit is currently being bench tested on another 88 Fiero. If it proves fully functional, I will install it on an 88 Mera. I now understand that I may have to relocate my battery (currently installed behind the spare tire) for the EHPS unit to be installed in the "stock" location.

Nelson

Please take pics of the test and note the results...like the turn to turn distance, etc.
FieroG97J

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2011 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JDirect Link to This Post
Back in 1989/90 when I first started to collect literature, I came across a guy who was an instructor at the GM Tech training center in New Orleans (which has been closed for years now). He was at an Instructor's Training Program (for the EHPS system) in Pontiac Michigan (I forget the year) when his instructor was called out of the training room briefly. When he returned, he told the students to pack for home as the EHPS unit was not going into production. So he packed up all his stuff and went home. I asked him what he did with all the classroom materials that he had. He said they were stashed in a colset at home. In my mind, these are the Dead Sea Scrolls, so I didn't want to pry any more for fear that he might think I would come in at night and steal them. Turns out they didn't mean too much to him, because when I next contacted him a few years later, I asked him if he still had the stuff (thinking that by now they might be ripe for picking) He said that since he had no need for them, he put them on the curb for the trash man some time back. Please, no flames. I've already set myself on fire.
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2011 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
You should call him again and see if he knows anyone with a similar stash. Ouch...I'm hurting in my tummy right now.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2011 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
BTW, if anyone has a working spare EHPS pump or knows where I can get spare parts please let me know. Mine is not working correctly and I would still like to install the unit on one of my cars.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 12-09-2011).]

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
Is there ANY Car that might be in the Junk Yards, that an Electronic Pump can be "Scavenged" from ??? (using a Trans Am rack)
PFF
System Bot
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierDirect Link to This Post
Lou,

Look for a 2000-2005 MR2 Spyder. They sometimes show up on Ebay. For the details on hook up, including wiring and connectors and part numbers take a look at this article on the DIY Electric Car site: http://www.diyelectriccar.c...owthread.php?t=19505

Larry
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
It "Looks like" a good thread, but it won't let me" View" the pictures ! It keeps asking me to log in. I don't have an acct on that site & it won't give me an option of opening one ! any way around this ? Thanks
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
Looked in parts.com, seems the cheapest pump is $300 Plus shipping & doesn't come with the "Controller "! I guess I just keep an eye out & maybe get lucky in the u-pull yard. What do the "Combo" gas/ electric cars use for power steering ?
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Looked in parts.com, seems the cheapest pump is $300 Plus shipping & doesn't come with the "Controller "! I guess I just keep an eye out & maybe get lucky in the u-pull yard. What do the "Combo" gas/ electric cars use for power steering ?

This may be what you need. Pump, controller, reservoir all in one package. Fluid is extra. Try to buy one with the 3 clips and some wire to splice to.
2001-2005 Toyota Spyder. I have one running a Trans Am rack. See recent topics in technical.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock