Smoke through vents, not a heater core leak by FieroN00b
Started on: 01-22-2012 04:17 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Stewy on 01-27-2012 11:26 AM
FieroN00b

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroN00bSend a Private Message to FieroN00bDirect Link to This Post
I had my blower motor disconnected for awhile because of this problem and I very much would like it reconnected now since Georgia is actually getting chilly down here lol. I did some research and I believe it maybe from leaves, etc caught near the motor and the resistor or wires heating up making the leaves smolder. Others have said to clean out this area you must remove some plate beside the hamster wheel plate?? Problem is I have know idea where this is located O.o any directions on where to find this.
Thanks for any help

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/120271.html <== this is where I found the info I obtained above ^^^
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Stubby79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post
Pop the hood. Look down under the windshield/wipers, right in the middle of the car. You'll see the back of the fan motor sticking out. Just in case...it's about 3" high, 3" round cylinder with a bump in the middle, all black. Held in with 3 screws, I think...
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
I think what Noob is asking about is the resistor plate....it is to the passenger side. I don't have a car available or I would take a picture.....
possumlips

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for possumlipsSend a Private Message to possumlipsDirect Link to This Post
Clean this out good...

or this could happen...

jesse

[This message has been edited by possumlips (edited 01-23-2012).]

FieroN00b

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroN00bSend a Private Message to FieroN00bDirect Link to This Post
Well I just took out the blower motor and stuck a vacuum up inside the car and sucked up a s**** load of burnt leaves. I took a picture midway through the process and yeah it was a charred mess, but I don't think anything was damaged. So I hopped in the car and turned on the vent and no smoke :] albeit there is still a smokey smell but it should go away.
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
i just removed that whole plate on the passanger side front firewall.
there was aton of junk attached to the heatercore and around the fan as well. once that was all cleaned out. all good to go.
there are also 2 rubber drain tubes on each side of the car. one near the brake booster and one on the passanger side. sometimes thos can get clogged up with leafs and needles.
Stewy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2012 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StewySend a Private Message to StewyDirect Link to This Post
I was gonna say the same as everyone else above. When I picked up my Fiero the blower didnt work. Well,there was mouse nesting inside the blower motor itself and inside the vents. I removed the resistor and cleaned out thru there also. There was also a nice hole in the plastic to the left of the resistor where something either got to hot or an actual fire started and melted that hole right next to the heater core. Make sure you inspect that very well or you will have a good chance of having a fire.At least that was an easy fix
Stewy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2012 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StewySend a Private Message to StewyDirect Link to This Post

Stewy

44 posts
Member since Jan 2012

above is a pic of the resistor to the left of the AC. The wires going to the connector of the left of that need to be removed and I would look for more crap in there.This is the resistor plate Gall was talking about.

above you will see that relay bank. I had a hole melted through the plastic behind that,I had to remove the relay bank and patch it.That is where I saw all the nesting surrounding the heater core.Thank god for shop vacs and air compressors

above is what I pulled out of the blower motor itself,lol

this ones a bit harder to see,but after removing the motor,inside was more mouse nesting. It ran the length of the venting to the passenger side to the heater core.

[This message has been edited by Stewy (edited 01-27-2012).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock