Paint code or color for 88 gold lace wheels by 88GTTTOP
Started on: 01-22-2012 03:53 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: rogergarrison on 01-27-2012 12:38 PM
88GTTTOP

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTTTOPSend a Private Message to 88GTTTOPDirect Link to This Post
i dropped my car off today for a complete paint job in stock colors. the exterior with be medium red metallic and i am
having the gold wheels re painted. i cannot find a color or paint code anywhere for the stock 88 gold lace wheels.
can anyone provide some guidance here. my painter is looking to buy supplies tomorrow, thanks for the help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
You won't find a paint code. You will find a code for the gold lace wheels, but they were purchased that way from a vendor, so Pontiac never needed to code the paint. The best you can do is match the old paint color.
88GTTTOP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTTTOPSend a Private Message to 88GTTTOPDirect Link to This Post
thanks a lot for the reply, i will forward to my painter. do you think the gold ta wheels on the gta would be a good match,
gm has a paint code for them, got this from another forum.
The color is called Gold Poly and the GM color code is 52 with a WA listing of #9008.... the RPO list should read 52P on a GTA. For 1987-1991 GTAs, this code refers to the paint color of the wheels.... for 1992, the wheels' actual RPO code changed over to 52P while the black style was coded as PW7. The 1992 color is still the same as the earlier years.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
I don't see why Pontiac would have changed the color, so that should work. If you can, roll one wheel up next to the other and trust what your eyeballs tell you.
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2012 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
This is the color i got mine painted
http://rarevettes.com/az5.html
I went to a Pontiac dealer and we looked at the color chart they had , and the closest one whas this .

After i had the paint mixed at NAPA
Here it is
" YOU HAVE TO DELETE THE METAL FLAKE IN THE FORMULA "
And this is a very rare color by the way .
I'm gonna write down every name and number that were written on the can .
B9876K
Cost code " H "
Chromabase " BC " 170 E ( Paint code 58U Corvette )
Color Aztec gold effect
Metal flake 5 grams per liter ( DELETE )

These number don't know what they mean The paint guy know for sure .
4530s
890J
878J
891J
819J
814J
802J
1005S
PB Lead VS4 or US4 ( Not sure wich one )
VOC ( AP 4.7 )
LE ( 5.5 )
Mixed 25-09-06

That is with clear and metal Flake

If you take out the clear and flake that will be pretty close to the regular gold you have on them

That is the original color

That is the original color

http://i166.photobucket.com...rob/215-70-15008.jpg

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 01-24-2012).]

88GTTTOP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2012 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTTTOPSend a Private Message to 88GTTTOPDirect Link to This Post
robert 2 that is a great reply, thanks very much, i just sent the info. to my painter and soon my wheels will look
just like yours. i checked several threads on here and your info. is the best i have seen for these wheels.
thanks again and for the complete reply and pics.
Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2012 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
If he can't get it done , advise me cause many places are saying that is a discontinued color .
Then i'll check with my NAPA store .
I still have the can that is showed in my reply .
Let me know .
With one can like that you have enough to do your four wheels .

If forgot to write down a number don't know if it's important .
It's situated on the top left hand side of the label and is B9876K
On the regular wheels i don't think there is any clearcoat and metal flake
But you can look at yours and see by yourself .
Did my best and mine are looking very close to reality .
Robert

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 01-23-2012).]

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2012 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post
He described and mentioned this to me because I asked about about 1 year ago. Nice info Rob, and thanks for taking the time to post again.

I will probably need to do mine one day on my 88GT. Gold wheels were more rare on 88GTs and Formulas. Black were more common. On GT's & Formulas...Red, Medium metallic Red, black, white, were the only color gold wheels were offered.

Rob...BTW, I think you got both front (88) wheels on one side (drivers) in that photo you posted.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. All original.

Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2012 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
No i bought the car with 4 6" wheels on it , was my first day with the car .
Didn't know by then .
Now i have 2 sets of gold 4 6" for the front and 4 7" for the back .
4 with summer all season's and 4 with winter tires .
Keep the fiero plated all year long in case one day my other vehicle get stuck ( didn't happen yet ) .

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 01-25-2012).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2012 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
The code from my GM Paint book shows the gold for Fiero wheels is WA-8753, or Ditzler number 3893 (the paint used), same code from 86-88.

I can scan the page and post it for any non believers.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-25-2012).]

Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2012 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
I'm not a non believer .
Can you scan the page anyhow for the rest of us that have the gold wheels please .
Thanks
Robert
That will be good for next time .
I've searched a long long time for this and never found anything , that's the reason i went for that color .

PFF
System Bot
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2012 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

... Gold wheels were more rare on 88GTs and Formulas. Black were more common. On GT's & Formulas...Red, Medium metallic Red, black, white, were the only color gold wheels were offered. ...

I COULD be wrong, but I think the gold wheels were only offered on the 88 GTs.
I think you're right about the colors (but could be wrong there as well).
Thought it was a bad choice that you couldn't get Beechwood interior OR gold wheels on yellow Fieros.

------------------
Life is just SO much better when you own AND drive a Fiero!

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2012 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I always have proof or experience with anything I state or I would say otherwise. Here you are.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2012 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Wow....that is a rare book!

On line references to that number bring up Camaros and Firebirds in 86 and 87.....but no word on Fieros. Pontiac called it 'Champagne Gold'.... heh.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-25-2012).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2012 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
thats why you NEVER go by a name. All brands use the same colors for the most part, just rename them for different makes. ie/ Chevy will have Classic White, Cadillac will call it Carthinian White, and Pontiac will call it Performance White....all with the same paint code number and exactly the same color. So it very well might be a Camaro or Firebird body color on the wheels. ALWAYS go by the code number. Even the GM body plate numbers, if you find them, like 15U are not always reliable. That same number might be a couple of different colors and different years.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-25-2012).]

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2012 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierocarparts:

I COULD be wrong, but I think the gold wheels were only offered on the 88 GTs.
I think you're right about the colors (but could be wrong there as well).
Thought it was a bad choice that you couldn't get Beechwood interior OR gold wheels on yellow Fieros.

No....you are correct. Gold lace wheels were only available on '88 GT's as a no cost "upgrade" (not available on silver & yellow). Most beechwood interior GT's got the gold wheels, but there are more than a few gray interior GT's floating round with factory installed gold wheels.

All Formulas left the factory with black lace wheels. My white Formula will soon be sporting a set of gold wheels though....I just like how they look (never have been a fan of the black ones).
88GTTTOP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2012 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTTTOPSend a Private Message to 88GTTTOPDirect Link to This Post
great info. guys i really appreciate it, my painter has two options now, i am sure they are very close in appearance.

by the way my 88 cjb came stock with gold wheels and grey interior, still all stock.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2012 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post
Sorry guys, I was wrong about the info on gold wheels for 88 Formulas.

I checked back in my record book, and yes...I am wrong. At least I can admit that...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. All original.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2012 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

No....you are correct. Gold lace wheels were only available on '88 GT's as a no cost "upgrade" (not available on silver & yellow).

No theyre listed in GMs 86, 87 and 88 color books. (see above) The books dont give any info on what color cars they were on, so your prob right on that. Gold wheels on a yellow car would look gross.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-26-2012).]

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2012 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Now, how about the light gold color on the Hi-tech 14" wheels? My 86 SE is factory black with saddle interior and the gold accent 14" wheels, which I have only seen on a few black SE's and some gold ones.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2012 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Sorry TS. All the books I have show only one gold listed.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock