3.4 PR coversion help needed by treborerellim
Started on: 01-01-2012 08:51 AM
Replies: 15
Last post by: phonedawgz on 01-02-2012 01:24 PM
treborerellim

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2012 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for treborerellimSend a Private Message to treborerellimDirect Link to This Post
I have been trying to find a 3.4 PR core engine with all the accessories still attached ie: Throttle Body , intake, coil packs, and ect. I have a 3.4 PR that was removed from a Fiero and has all of the fiero stuff on it.
From what I read using the stock Camaro set up makes for a more trouble free and better running set up and money is in the equation.
What I need is a list of the things I need to do this so I can call around to the junk yards in an effort to locate what I need. I hate to be a PIA, but i just don't want to start this and find out I only have half of what I need.

Thanks to all in advance and hope you have a great new year, Bob
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2012 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Get the EGR adapter kit from Georgia Fieros, get a digital EGR valve from a Beretta or Camaro/Firebird, or the one of the cars in the list on Georgia Fieros, Get a 7730 ECM and have a wiring harness made for it. Be sure all the Cam, Crank and Knock sensors are in place on the engine. Your ECM should come from a vehicle with the same type transmission as your Fiero (Manual or Automatic). If you want to go Distributorless Ignition System, also get the coil pack from the Camaro/Firebird and the oil pump drive that replaces the distributor. Have Darth Fiero of Sinister Performance tune your ECM.
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2012 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Can you point us to who wrote that using the stock Camaro setup was better in a Fiero? I'd be interested in seeing why.

Will the stock serpentine belt setup fit? The Camaro had a power steering pump, you going to use that?

Are you going to use the stock Camaro PCM? Remember it also controlled the 4L60-E trans. I've not found anyone to tune that PCM.

Just some questions if you don't mind.
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2012 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by treborerellim:

I have been trying to find a 3.4 PR core engine with all the accessories still attached ie: Throttle Body , intake, coil packs, and ect. I have a 3.4 PR that was removed from a Fiero and has all of the fiero stuff on it.

From what I read using the stock Camaro set up makes for a more trouble free and better running set up....

That makes perfect sense to me IF the car you want to put the 3.4L into is either a `93, `94, or `95 Camaro or Firebird --- but not if the car is a Fiero.

Originally posted by Hudini:

Can you point us to who wrote that using the stock Camaro setup was better in a Fiero?

treborerellim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2012 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for treborerellimSend a Private Message to treborerellimDirect Link to This Post
I asked kinda the same question (3.4 PR help needed) I do'nt know how to insert a link or much of anything else you guy and gals are able to do. So you will have to do a search with my user name to see who chimmed in. As a matter of fact Hudini had something to say on that thread. I have two v6 Fieros (87GT blown motor & 88 Formula bad trans) and never could get either one running as smooth as my nephew's Camaro that he totaled some years ago before I started fooling with Fieros. My basic goal is to get my GT which is getting the 3.4 to be the best running I can on the funds available to do it. Like $600 or preferably less.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2012 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
idk but maybe what he meant is the DIS is more trouble free than the distributor (which it is).

Bottom line is running DIS with a properly tuned 7730 is more dependable than running a 3.4 with a distributor.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2012 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Is this the thread you are referring to? https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/120254.html

You have everything you need except a good tune IMHO. As phonedawgz wrote, a properly tuned 7730 and DIS is better but no matter which way you go you need a properly tuned ECM. So many people stick the bigger engine in with the stock Fiero ECM and stock Fiero 15 lbs injectors and wonder why it doesn't run properly. You can have it tuned for far less than $600.
Brucepts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2012 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceptsClick Here to visit Brucepts's HomePageSend a Private Message to BruceptsDirect Link to This Post
I just started stripping a 3.4L for my swap and I'm not using the extra parts. Give me a shout and stop on over and you can pick through my parts and take away what you might need/want.

------------------
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
http://www.flowbenchtech.com

treborerellim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2012 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for treborerellimSend a Private Message to treborerellimDirect Link to This Post
OK Assuming I go the 7730 route . What parts would I need and is it better to use the stock Fiero upper and lower intakes or the Camaro"s. What throttle body , what injectors, and so on. And what is ment by properly tuned 7730 ECU. Your are dealing with a guy who was looking for something in the garage to day and ran accross a 4bbl manifold and carb that I use to run on my 65 corvair convertible. I'm learning , but at my age it takes more time and help. Thanks for all the help so far. Bob
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2012 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Is the 3.4 something you want to do, or is it a deal that fell on your lap, because there are alot better options then this in every single category. Knowing what I do now, no I wouldn't do this again, there is a reason the person you bought the 3.4 from was doing an 3800 S/C instead. The 7730 made my swap worse, by never actually running correctly, barely drivable.

In your case, throw a carb on that thing and call it a day.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 01-01-2012).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2012 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Just go one step at a time. I'd suggest to forget the 1227730 ECM for now and use that 3.4L engine with all the Fiero stuff and stock Fiero ECM. But take the car to a local tuner who can program your car's computer (ECM) to run the 3.4L engine properly. Hook it up to a chassis dyno and make it run properly.

There are even people who work with you to tune your car by mailing the computer's chip (the part with the actual computer code) to them. This requires some datalogging on your part so it may not be for you but it's there if you want to learn.

The 3.4L is like any other engine. It needs proper tuning to make it run correctly whether it's running a carb or fuel injection.
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2012 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Ryan at Sinister Performance can supply you with a properly programmed chip for the 7730 3.4 swap. It is a common swap and he should have something that will run fine right out of the box.

Stock upper and lower Fiero intake manifold. Ask Ryan if you should run the Fiero injectors or the 3.4 injectors. If you don't do the 7730 right away then you can do DIS right away then you will have to first put in a distributor.

Up to you but I would consider it much easier to run the 7730 right away.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 01-02-2012).]

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2012 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

OK Assuming I go the 7730 route . What parts would I need and is it better to use the stock Fiero upper and lower intakes or the Camaro"s. What throttle body , what injectors, and so on. And what is ment by properly tuned 7730 ECU. Your are dealing with a guy who was looking for something in the garage to day and ran accross a 4bbl manifold and carb that I use to run on my 65 corvair convertible. I'm learning , but at my age it takes more time and help. Thanks for all the help so far. Bob

I'm glad you've asked those questions and your earlier ones on this thread. If you hadn't asked them, I suspect you could have complicated your 3.4L swap unnecessarily by assuming you needed all sorts of additional 3.4L parts which you actually don't.

Your latest questions and my answers to them are:

...is it better to use the stock Fiero upper and lower intakes or the Camaro"s.

Use the Fiero intake manifolds. The Camaro's just complicate things unnecessarily. Later, time and money permitting, you can switch to an intake manifold that improves the engine's power band substantially, based on actual dyno testing, instead of anecdotal hearsay.

What throttle body....

Use the 2.8L Fiero's throttle body. The 3.4L Camaro's throttle body is unnecessary and to the surprise of many, also is just a 52mm throttle body anyway. You can go to a larger throttle body later, when it becomes worthwhile to do that with a Trueleo intake manifold.

...what injectors and so on....

Use 17-pound injectors. This is the same size that came with 3.4L `93-`95 Camaro and Firebird engines. (Fiero 2.8L engines came with 15-pound injectors.)

As for the "and so on" you'd asked about, there is a well-written article by fellow PFF member, crazyd, regarding the essentials needed for a basic 3.4L engine swap. Titled, "Fiero 3.4L F-Body Engine Conversion" ( http://fiero34swap.eleventenths.org ), that is what I relied upon for my own successfully completed 3.4L engine swap five years ago. In particular, I very much appreciated that write-up's conciseness (only around 10 pages of hard copy), and how well that brief article was indexed into 22 different sections, enabling one to find quickly almost any "must-have" parts issue for a basic 3.4L engine swap.

OK Assuming I go the 7730 route . What parts would I need....

I've not found it necessary to employ a -7730 ECM with my 3.4L swap in my year-round, daily driver Fiero although it's had to start and run reliably even at -15oF. Nonetheless, because I'm considering going to a -7730 ECM eventually, I've the same -7730 parts list question as you, so hopefully someone else can answer it.

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2012 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Read this thread on the 1227730: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000088.html

Darth Fiero started that thread 5 years ago.
treborerellim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2012 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for treborerellimSend a Private Message to treborerellimDirect Link to This Post
Thanks All.

I'll have to chew on this awhile

Bob
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2012 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
To go to a 7730 you will need

The 1227730 ECM along with the correct MEM/CAL for your engine
Either an adapter to hold the new PROM, or you will need to have your new prom soldered into your MEM/CAL
The PROM itself

The 7730 uses three plugs compared to the 2.8 ECM's two. So you will need the third plug. The wire terminals in the existing 2.8 plugs can be removed and re-inserted in the proper order so overall for most wires no soldering will be needed.

You will need a knock sensor if you wish to use one. The knock sensor needs to match the MEM/CAL's application*

You will need the ICM and coil packs for your engine. You will also need the 3 electrical plugs that plug into it.*

You will need the block mounted 7X (aka 3x) pick up in the middle of your block. Also your crank needs to have the 7x wheel on it.*

You will need the wire that runs from the pick up to the ICM pack. It should be a yellow/purple twisted wire that runs directly from the crank sensor to one of the three ICM plugs.*

* - Starred items should have come with your engine

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock