Autozone Brake master cylinders? by FieroJam
Started on: 12-28-2011 08:34 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: FieroJam on 02-18-2012 03:59 PM
FieroJam

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2011 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJamSend a Private Message to FieroJamDirect Link to This Post
Okay I am going to get a master cylinder from Autozone the question is would it make any difference to get a rebuilt on or a new one? There is a pretty big price difference so is there any real reason to go with the new on over the rebuild? I don't think so but would like to get some more opinions on this.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroJam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2011 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJamSend a Private Message to FieroJamDirect Link to This Post
On a related note would it just be better to not buy from Autozone instead pick one up from Advance Auto Parts or NAPA? Advance Auto Parts has Cardone master cylinders how do they stack up against the Fenco sold by Autozone?
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2011 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
Autozone only carries Fenco.. They are the wrong kind, I've already had 2 MCs from them, they won't work cause of them having the wrong type of flare adapter in the ports.

Get an A1 cardone, I don't have experience with other Reman units.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2011 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

Autozone only carries Fenco.. They are the wrong kind, I've already had 2 MCs from them, they won't work cause of them having the wrong type of flare adapter in the ports.

Not sure what you are talking about here. I installed an Autozone one last month and didn't have any problems.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2011 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Not sure what you are talking about here. I installed an Autozone one last month and didn't have any problems.

Fenco reman on the left, stock unit on the right. Look inside the ports.
turboguy327

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2011 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
Just dont go to autozone for anything. I have never had more issues with getting the right part. At least advance requires some type of auto background for the counter people. Autozone will hire anybody that can talk and walk. And duralast parts. lol. Autozone is like walmart for the automotive world.

[This message has been edited by turboguy327 (edited 12-29-2011).]

FieroJam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2011 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJamSend a Private Message to FieroJamDirect Link to This Post
I think I have pretty much made up my mind that I will be going to Advanced Auto to order my master cylinder. The biggest reason is that I remembered the last two times I have gone to Autozone I want to beat the people working there senseless. Which would not have took much work to do. Really really crappy service just pisses me off.
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2011 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by turboguy327:
lol. Autozone is like walmart for the automotive world.

Walmart might actually be better in some regards.

Originally posted by FieroJam:

I think I have pretty much made up my mind that I will be going to Advanced Auto to order my master cylinder. The biggest reason is that I remembered the last two times I have gone to Autozone I want to beat the people working there senseless. Which would not have took much work to do. Really really crappy service just pisses me off.

Advance over Autozone, that's a lateral move. Get yourself a quality part where it matters most and go to a pro level parts store. My Advance mastercylinder was bad out of the box although it took quite a while for me to realize it. The replacement in the car now behaved the same way initially (spongy like the one it replaced) and before I could remove and return it, it suddenly grabbed and gave me the kind of high firm pedal I expected. It appears one of the seals was under performing.

FieroJam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2011 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJamSend a Private Message to FieroJamDirect Link to This Post
Out of curiosity what do you consider a pro level parts store?
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2011 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroJam:

Out of curiosity what do you consider a pro level parts store?

One that closes at 5 PM.
FieroJam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2011 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJamSend a Private Message to FieroJamDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

One that closes at 5 PM.

Well that would be very inconvient for me.considering I don't get off work until then.
PFF
System Bot
FieroJam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2011 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJamSend a Private Message to FieroJamDirect Link to This Post

FieroJam

1118 posts
Member since Feb 2008

One that closes at 5 PM.

Well that would be very inconvient for me.considering I don't get off work until then.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2011 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
There you go.

Actually many parts stores manage to sell to professional mechanics and stay open after 5. They usually have a little pickup truck that drives around dropping off parts every day....These guys have to sell stuff that works, or it comes back the next day. I have never seen an AutoZone delivery truck.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2011 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

I have never seen an AutoZone delivery truck.

They're unmarked, usually brand-new Ford Rangers.

I buy most of my parts online, otherwise at a local mom-and-pop chain, or Napa, occassionally Auto Value.

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 12-30-2011).]

FieroJam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2012 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJamSend a Private Message to FieroJamDirect Link to This Post
So I came to find out yesterday that the Cardone reman master cylinder I bought from Advance Auto back in December has been slowly leaking fluid from the front port. No matter what I tried to do yesterday I could not get the line to seat in the port so it would not leak. Currently waiting for a replacement one which will not be here until Saturday. Now I'm just wondering if the new reman unit coming will have the same issue as this last one. Hopefully not.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2012 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Good luck. With all of the garbage coming from China, it's nearly impossible to get a good part from anyone. This is especially true for high wear items like brake and clutch parts. Doubly so if it's for a high volume vehicle like a 97-03 Grand Prix. GM made a gazillion of those and the parts stores make lots of money selling cheap parts for them at high prices. I have also noticed the industry is combining lots of similar parts to save costs. Just try to find a 9-11/16, 9-3/4 or 9-5/8 GM FWD clutch set anywhere. They are all being downsized to 9-1/8. I have been going through this for the past few weeks. I did manage to find a 9-3/4 unit for an 89 Grand Prix 3.1 turbo at Rock Auto, but it was the last one they had. The new part will be 9-1/8 like everyone else sells.

Additionally, I picked up a Duralast starter for my dohc and promptly cracked the housing on it the first time I bolted it up. It was a reman, so I'm sure the case was GM (Delco aftermarket probably), but it sure was thin and broke easily.

Sorry to get on a rant, but I've had a heck of a time finding good parts lately.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe. 3.4 DOHC swap is underway!

FieroJam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2012 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJamSend a Private Message to FieroJamDirect Link to This Post
I just now wish I had kept the original master cylinder I removed from the car. I could have atleast tired rebuilding it myself instead of playing russian roulette with reman parts.
FieroJam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2012 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJamSend a Private Message to FieroJamDirect Link to This Post
Second Cardone reman master cylinder just put in today and I still get a leak from the front port. The line looks fine to me what do you think?

I am very frustrated and really need my car back on the road any ideas?
FieroJam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2012 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJamSend a Private Message to FieroJamDirect Link to This Post

FieroJam

1118 posts
Member since Feb 2008
Central Florida Auto Salvage to the rescue with a used master cylinder out of an 87 that works.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2012 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Now when this one goes bad, get an AC Delco rebuild kit and do it yourself!
FieroJam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2012 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJamSend a Private Message to FieroJamDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Now when this one goes bad, get an AC Delco rebuild kit and do it yourself!

Will be looking for another used one to rebuild to use when this on goes bad. I keep kicking myself for not keeping my original one.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock