Started on: 12-17-2011 09:46 AM
Replies: 14
Last post by: weloveour86se on 03-14-2012 09:42 AM
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2011 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
Talk about dreaded previous owner!! Man this is probably the worst thing we have seen yet! That is tar paper. And some wood grain plastic looking stuff. Bout 500 staples.

Face palm...

The pile of crap that came off! Sigh...It's a hard hat area or what? PO is killing me...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2011 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Contact paper!! Ha! They used to use that stuff for shelf paper..

a woodgrained headliner is' very' special....I'm sure you will miss it.
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2011 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
Heres whats left... Guess were in the market for a headliner. Sheesh

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2011 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Store upholstered headliner.
Unless you do it yourself, by the time you have paid to get the headliner covered, that you have to buy , you can get The Fiero Store`s for a couple of hundred and be done.
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2011 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post
Wow! I don't think you can even use duck tape to fix that one to use.

I know I saw a Fiberglass one on Ebay a month or two ago for $100 each.
That is the original way I want to go and then cover that with a fabric or vinyl

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/085541.html

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2011 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
We have 2 yards of black headliner material on the way. It's been shipped and should arrive any day. Courtesy of Russ88TTop here on PFF. Russ hooked us up with a suppleir. Koodos go out to him BIG time. I think the cost was like $8 a yard. Shipping was more. Probably gonna do a local search and see if we can find one. We have an 87 thats gonna need a new headliner as well so practice makes perfect I guess.

Might go out to the PO's house and kick him in the nutz later!
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2011 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:

Might go out to the PO's house and kick him in the nutz later!

Record it for us

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/085541.html

FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post12-17-2011 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
Headliner is one of the simplest things to fix

That board is fine. Go down to home depot and grab a can of fiberglass resin. The can has hardener under the plastic lid so you don't need to buy any

Flip the board so it's face down and line up the pieces. Take an old tshirt and cut it into 3" wide strips. Mix up your resin, apply a coat or two directly to the board, lay the tshirt strips over the cracks and breaks, and coat with resin. If your really want it to last you can cover the whole board in resin. It's extremely simple and only takes an hour or so

Fabric is even easier. Go get a yard of grey headliner from your local fabric store, some loctite spray adhesive ( IMO it sticks miles better than the 3M ) and just glue the whole thing straight on the board. Cut around the edges about 2" from and just fold it under when installing.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2011 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendOfYours:

That board is fine. Go down to home depot and grab a can of fiberglass resin. The can has hardener under the plastic lid so you don't need to buy any

Flip the board so it's face down and line up the pieces. Take an old tshirt and cut it into 3" wide strips. Mix up your resin, apply a coat or two directly to the board, lay the tshirt strips over the cracks and breaks, and coat with resin. If your really want it to last you can cover the whole board in resin. It's extremely simple and only takes an hour or so

Fabric is even easier. Go get a yard of grey headliner from your local fabric store, some loctite spray adhesive ( IMO it sticks miles better than the 3M ) and just glue the whole thing straight on the board. Cut around the edges about 2" from and just fold it under when installing.

Beat me to it. That is about how the liner in my Indy came out. It was in three to four pieces. Fiberglassed the repairs to it from the back, then put a couple of coats of resin only on the front (cloth) side. Probably much stronger then it ever was from the factory by the time I was done. Playing around it took about three hours to fix. Cost was nothing as I had the resin and mat laying around the shop. Buying materials might run around 20 bucks.

Kevin

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2011 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
New headliner material came in today! We ordered an extra yard. It was only $8.95 a yard plus $14 for shipping. We did not order adhesive as they had it priced at $10 IIRC. Merry X-mas to us they sent a can anyway! Dunno if it was a packing error or what but well take it. Now off to find a decent fiberglass board. Not really interested in tryin to repair the one we have if we dont have to. Also were gonna need the molding or what ever its called for around the sunroof.

The material looks real nice but Im worried it may have a purple-ish look. Ever see black that looks kinda purple? Well I think we may have that a bit. Will have to look at it under better lighting conditions. Maybe bright sunlight with indirect light exposure, as it would be seen installed?

Ho ho ho! TYVM Russ88TTop!!

Edit; this package came UPS. We were just outside looking at it when the USPS carrier was walking by and I asked him what color he thought it is. He paused, looked at it, and said, "blue, it looks blue". Oh well gonna roll with it anyway.

[This message has been edited by weloveour86se (edited 12-21-2011).]

L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post12-21-2011 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
That black will turn to purple. It wasn't a big deal in my non sunroof all black interior car, because it was dark inside the interior. But with the sunroof, you're going to notice it. I don't like that thick "headliner" material, it's heavy and doesn't stay up well with spray adhesive. The last couple I've recovered, I've just gone to my favorite fabric store, purchased some thin mil pad and suede or cloth to do the job. Held up much better, and to me, felt and looked better, "custom upholstery" feel rather than "replacement headliner".

All the headliner boards are falling apart these days. I've come across several put together like yours, no wood grain though. Classy.
PFF
System Bot
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2011 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendOfYours:

Your suggestion is what I was thinking as I read this and saw the ugly mess. I did exactly what you suggested except I used fiberglass cloth (I wasn't smart enough to think of tee-shirts) and some thin cardboard from a beer box I found on my curb--the lady next door is a lush--and got 1.5 yards of headliner material on sale at Hancock Fabrics for $20 and I now have a great looking headliner for less than $35 including the material and fiberglass resin/fiberglass. I used some 3M contact cement spray I had on hand for another job. Been about a year and it still looks good.

Hancock Fabrics and Joann Fabrics both have websites and they often have headliner on sale.

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by starlightcoupe:

Hancock Fabrics and Joann Fabrics both have websites and they often have headliner on sale.

Purchased my gray headliner from JoAnn Fabrics and it is about as close to a match as I could have hoped for; maybe 9.5 or of 10 match, but you have to take into account the sun visors are prolly fadded anyways...

BTW, mine was for an 88gt...
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
+1

Purchased fabric locally at chain fabric store, fiberglassed backing together from 4 pieces with fiberglass mat, then brushed backing with resin (soaks right in), light sanding to adhere better, then added material with headliner adhesive. The headliner backing is small enough to easily control the shape so you don't get weird dips and bends.
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

Not bad for a first try, if I may say so myself. Theres a few lines that are visible in the last pic but those straightend right out once i got it back in the car.

All for around $40 and some good old fashion family time with everyone pitching in! Actually it was pretty fun to do. I can't wait to get mommas 87 coupe over here so we can redo its headliner. At least that headliner boards not all mutilated like this ones was.

Do it yourself, you'll feel better about, save tons of $$$, and learn something.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock