Started on: 11-28-2011 06:01 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 11-29-2011 12:28 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2011 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Just decided to upgrade the sound system on my 87GT and used a 97 Firebird Radio/CD unit. From our discussions here it is common knowledge that the 94-03 Pontaic Radio/CD units are a direct fit mechanically and adapters plugs are readily available. I purchased a set of four connectors on eBay for $8.00. All I had to do was solder the wires of the same color together and that was it. It is a 30 minute install. I recall seeing that there is also a speaker upgrade that can be used (in a post a week or two ago) and can't seem to find it. Its now speaker upgrade time so can anyone point me to the post or advise what speakers are a direct fit?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, ZZP Intercooler, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2011 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Direct fit? 4x10 speakers are not good for sound quality at all, I would personally go with a component set of speakers for the dash. But if you insist on factory sized direct fit speakers, you know rodney now makes factory replacement speakers. Or if you want more expensive better quality aftermarket speakers, TLG Auto offers them, which is what I currently have in my Fiero right now. Sounds pretty good for 4x10 speakers.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2011 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Direct fit? 4x10 speakers are not good for sound quality at all, I would personally go with a component set of speakers for the dash. But if you insist on factory sized direct fit speakers, you know rodney now makes factory replacement speakers. Or if you want more expensive better quality aftermarket speakers, TLG Auto offers them, which is what I currently have in my Fiero right now. Sounds pretty good for 4x10 speakers.

The tricky part is to get MATCHED 10 ohm impedence 4 x 10" speakers. The stock GM speakers were 10 ohm impedence units and if we upgrade we would like to keep the impedence matched. Mismatched speakers with 4 ohm impedence will work but with that large a descrepancy in ohmage, distortion will be higher. A high quality 8 ohm speaker should work and yes 4 x 10 speakers are not the best sounding but lots of companies make premium stacked units like Kenwood, Boss, and Pioneer. I'll check out the TLG speakers. Thanks

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, ZZP Intercooler, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post11-28-2011 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
The front speakers were originally 10ohm to protect the garbage class B amp that was in the '80s era receiver.

Originally posted by Oreif:

The difference between a 4, 8, or 10 ohm is physically the voice coil windings. The more windings the higher the ohm rating.
That being said, The higher the ohm rating will reduce out-of-frequency noise from being heard. (any excess noise that may be picked up since the speaker wires travel thru the dash with the main harness) The heavier voice coil also reduces the magnet size (so they can fit in tight locations) and reduces distortion and flutter caused by the class B amp in the older GM stock stereos. (they used class B to reduce the size of the stereo so it can fit into tight spaces in various dashes) It also allows the speaker to have less physical movement to prolong it's life since they generally used paper cones on OEM car speakers back then.

Using a newer 4-ohm speaker that is more efficient will use less current to achieve the same volume level. But if you crank it up too high the amp will clip earlier (distort) and the stereo will run hotter due to increased current draw. With the lower ohm rating of the new speaker and the simpler amplifier circuit in the stock stereo you may notice more noise being reproduced.

Many aftermarket stereo's and amps use class AB amps, Better filtering to reduce external noises, and run a whole lot more efficient. A lot of aftermarket amps can now run 2-ohms and less. The point is newer stereo's amd amps are designed to utilize the 4-ohm speakers. The older stock GM radios are not.

[This message has been edited by L67 (edited 11-28-2011).]

JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2011 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsDirect Link to This Post
Hey Dennis I went with the Monsoon cd radio from a 2002 firebird/Trans am , I used JBL 4x6 plates in the rear and JBL 5-1/4 components in the front, all speakers are 2ohm. I'm using the radio amp and it is 1000 times better then stock. I found a template on the forum for the 5-1/4 speakers. I can email you the link if you need it.

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 11-28-2011).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2011 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by L67:

The front speakers were originally 10ohm to protect the garbage class B amp that was in the '80s era receiver.

That would make sense. Does anyone know if clas AB amps were used in the late 90's /early 2000's GM radio/CD units? The cases are just a little larger on these.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post11-28-2011 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
Does anyone know if clas AB amps were used in the late 90's /early 2000's GM radio/CD units? The cases are just a little larger on these.

Every OEM radio Pontiac (GM for that matter) has ever made is cheap and severely lacking. I was listening to my Monsoon behind a 240 watt amp this morning, it sucks. I'll replace it with an aftermarket receiver when I can.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2011 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Yea the aftermarket radio i just bought for my Fiero powers my new speakers so much better then even the older aftermarket one. Technology makes a difference!
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2011 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:

Hey Dennis I went with the Monsoon cd radio from a 2002 firebird/Trans am , I used JBL 4x6 plates in the rear and JBL 5-1/4 components in the front, all speakers are 2ohm. I'm using the radio amp and it is 1000 times better then stock. I found a template on the forum for the 5-1/4 speakers. I can email you the link if you need it.

I saw the thread where the 5 1/4" speakers were used but at this point I'll just pop in the Kenwood Speakers that Mattawa is using and let things go. My exhaust is so loud that a much better sounding sound system is probably wasted. Thats why I chose the standard Pontiac CD /Radio rather than the Moonson . Only paid $45 for it shipped and $8.00 for the connector so even with speakers the whole upgrade will cost only a bit more than $100. Later on I'll change the rear spekers but for the time being its fine. Thanks

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock