Started on: 11-07-2011 07:20 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Basic88 on 11-08-2011 07:23 PM
fastblack

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2011 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post

Cannot get the bottom nut off the slave cylinder, soaked it in PB Blaster and then let it sit over night and it still will not break loose! Is there some way to get to this bugger from the under side of the car to get more leverage on it? (doesn't seem like there would be) I have lost all patience and may end up doing something I regret

Seriously though...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Basic88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2011 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Basic88Send a Private Message to Basic88Direct Link to This Post
Aggravating yes but not the end of the world. You have done all the right stuff PB Blaster is a great product.Not sure what year you car is I have an 88 so the bolts that hold the slave cylinder on are side by side which makes it a little easier.Keep trying and maybe apply a little heat if you can get at it without catching something on fire! Worst case scenario you will either snap the nut/bolt off or cut it off and replace the hardware with stainless steel .(thats what I did) Good Luck with your repair.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2011 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post
Car is an 87. Bolts are straight across from one another but the one is more or less on the "bottom" side of the slave. I only tried a couple times after work today before cussing started. I just hit it again with some more PB Blaster, we'll see what it's like tomorrow I guess. I'm a bit leery about putting some heat on it just because of the amount of PB Blaster that has been sprayed in the area
ILVMYGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2011 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTDirect Link to This Post
I have had good luck with Kroil penetrating oil when trying to take rusted bolt apart. Kroil is hard to find, but I got my last can from the local NAPA store. I also apply heat in cycles with oil in between.

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap In Progress.

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2011 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvDirect Link to This Post
Getrag or Isuzu? If it's the Isuzu, just yank on it till the bolt brakes. They come with new ones.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post11-08-2011 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
ue some automactic transmission fluid to the penetrant,, this will help
heat,,protect surrounding area
if you are removeing the nuts/bolts that hold the slave to housing be sure to jack up car so fluid runs down hill
NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEDirect Link to This Post
I just rebuilt mine on my 86 se. That nut that your talking about almost made me do an insurance claim on it! I spent a half of a can of pb, WITH a pair of vicegrips! I took a small torch to it a few times and I put my weight on it and after a bit, it finally snapped and took some of my arm skin as a souvineer! I hope I never have to do that again!!! But good luck!!!!
fastblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post
It's a getrag tranny.

Finally got the bastard tonight! Got home from work and the SOB still wouldn't budge so I ended up putting some heat to it. Still no go. Finally just put the wrench on it with the wrench pointing towards the front of the car and "tapped" it a few times with a hammer and it finally broke free. After that I simply removed the nut an 1/8 inch at a time...those bolts realllllllllly don't have to be that long in my opinion.

I am in the process of replacing the master and rebuilding the slave. Looks as if the snap ring broke at some point in time as it only had one end on it...haven't looked but hopefully Rodney sells that snap ring with the rebuild kit so I don't have to go searching the hardware store for the exact fit.

Anywho, thanks for the suggestions!!
Basic88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Basic88Send a Private Message to Basic88Direct Link to This Post
Not sure what your local home improvement store is. (around here it is Lowes....Ace Hardware or Home Depot) Any of them will have an assortment of snap rings in the hardware section. (usually in those slide out metal drawers) for a buck or less. Take the part and the old ring and size it up before you purchase. Good Luck with your repair!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock