Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  using isuzu slave cylinder on muncie 5-speed......which pushrod to use?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

using isuzu slave cylinder on muncie 5-speed......which pushrod to use? by pontiacking
Started on: 10-24-2011 10:38 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Mark A. Klein on 10-25-2011 07:30 PM
pontiacking

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2011 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackingSend a Private Message to pontiackingDirect Link to This Post
Howdy all,

Long story short I'm going to install a slave cylinder for an isuzu trans on my muncie 5-speed. I've removed the studs and drilled out the holes, my only question is which slave cyl pushrod do I use? The Isuzu one which is 5 7/8" long or the muncie one that is 3" and something? I've searched and found threads where members are using the isuzu slave on the muncie 5-speed but couldn't figure out which pusrod to use.

Thanks guys!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2011 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
It seems to me that you have to use the Isuzu push rod, or the starting position for the clutch lever will be wrong. The Isuzu slave provides for more travel, so it is possible that as you depress the clutch pedal you can go beyond the normal position that the getrag (muncie 5 speed) would expect.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 10-24-2011).]

2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2011 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvDirect Link to This Post
I have always used the Getrag's pushrod. If the rubber boot is still good reuse it too. If it's bad, it's okay to use the new one. It doesn't fit as well over the Getrag push rod but it will work.

If you have the Isuzu pushrod and it is longer, use it.
The reason for using the longer push rod is so that the slave's piston is farther back into the bore of the slave. If you use a shorter rod the piston might reach the end of the slave before the clutch disengages.
Then you eather blow up the slave's seals, the hydraulic hose, the seals in the master or maybe even snap the master's banjo rod in half.

[This message has been edited by 2002z28ssconv (edited 10-25-2011).]

L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2011 03:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
This thread is already confusing enough, so its a good idea to make some clarifications.

----------------Transmission types

Taken directly from Calgary Fiero's
MG2 -- 5-SPEED MANUAL -- GETRAG -- 3.61 RATIO -- V6 ONLY
MT2 -- 5-SPEED MANUAL -- ISUZU -- 3.35 RATIO -- L4 ONLY
MY8 -- 4-SPEED MANUAL -- MUNCIE -- 3.32 RATIO -- 1984 L4 ONLY
M17 -- 4-SPEED MANUAL -- MUNCIE -- 3.65 RATIO -- V6 ONLY
M19 -- 4-SPEED MANUAL -- MUNCIE -- 4.10 RATIO -- 1984 L4 ONLY

Note: MG2 is the Getrag-designed Muncie built transaxle

What I'm able to gather from what King has posted, is that he is using the slave cylinder from the Isuzu (MT2) for his Getrag (MG2). He's calling his Getrag a Muncie, which is ok because Muncie built the transmission, even though it was designed by Getrag. He's asking which pushrod to use. There's a bigger problem. The slave cylinder used on the Getrag (MG2) is different from all others. The bore is larger, and the piston does not travel as far as say the piston from the Isuzu. The slave from the Isuzu uses a smaller bore and the piston travels a great deal farther. So if you use the Isuzu slave on the Getrag/Muncie 5 speed, you will over extend the throwout bearing, and possibly destroy the pressure plate.

The Isuzu (MT2) and Muncie 4 Speed (M19) share the same slave, but use a different pushrod. So if there is a typo, and King is talking about the Muncie 4 speed, using the Isuzu slave will be alright. Otherwise, beware.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2011 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I had a slave cylinder for the Isuzu 5-spd on my Getrag for awhile. I didn't like it, because it made the clutch pedal very stiff. Driving in traffic was torture (my leg actually cramped up once).

Anyway, I used the Isuzu pushrod with the Isuzu slave cylinder. The shorter (Getrag) one wouldn't allow full clutch disengagement.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 10-25-2011).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2011 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
How many different pushrods are there? I know of only 2....as posted by King.....

Blacktree says the short one won't work...so that leaves the long one.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2011 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
This thread really is confusing, so I would suggest that you get one of Rodney's Getrag slaves for your Getrag, and one of his Isuzu slaves for your Isuzu. His slaves come with the proper rod and boot. And they work well, so you don't have to use the wrong slave for your transmission.
pontiacking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2011 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackingSend a Private Message to pontiackingDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I had a slave cylinder for the Isuzu 5-spd on my Getrag for awhile. I didn't like it, because it made the clutch pedal very stiff. Driving in traffic was torture (my leg actually cramped up once).

Anyway, I used the Getrag pushrod with the Isuzu slave cylinder. With the shorter pushrod, I couldn't get full clutch disengagement.

I'm confused. You say that you used the Getrag pushrod but then you say the short one didn't work. The getrag pushrod is the short one....The Isuzu one is the longer one.

pontiacking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2011 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackingSend a Private Message to pontiackingDirect Link to This Post

pontiacking

101 posts
Member since Jan 2007

Originally posted by TopNotch:

This thread really is confusing, so I would suggest that you get one of Rodney's Getrag slaves for your Getrag, and one of his Isuzu slaves for your Isuzu. His slaves come with the proper rod and boot. And they work well, so you don't have to use the wrong slave for your transmission.

I'd like to use Rodney's stuff too as it is great stuff, however I'm trying to keep cost as low as possible as I'm unsure if I'm going to keep this car or not. Do appreciate everyones help though. My replacement master cylinder will be here this afternoon (the one I put on last week is leaking out the rear seal, already) and I'll update as soon as I can.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2011 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the confusion. I really shouldn't post stuff before my second cup of coffee. My previous post has been edited for correction.
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2011 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvDirect Link to This Post
I was under the impression that the Isuzu's rod was shorter. But I trust Blacktree's knowledge enough to edit my previous comment.

Regardless, do you have both rods? If so, use the longer of the two. Since none of the Isuzu slaves I have ever bought came with a new rod, I have always used the Getrag's rod without issue.
PFF
System Bot
Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2011 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinDirect Link to This Post
I always replace the getrag cyl with the isuzu one. Never had any problems, other that more leg effort required. You soon become use to this. Much cheaper, can use the double seal rebuild kit.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock