Was Rear ended!! and oil was all over road by PF Flyer
Started on: 09-14-2011 01:42 PM
Replies: 31
Last post by: PF Flyer on 09-27-2011 12:06 PM
PF Flyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PF FlyerSend a Private Message to PF FlyerDirect Link to This Post
i havnt been able to look over my car since the accident occured on tuesday and i was wondering what could have caused that,

at the first glance i believe the head seperated from the block? has this ever hapened before?

if someone could upload the pics for me id email them the pics of before and after.

i spent anywhere from 2 to 400 hours on this car rebuilding customizing and modifying

and it had to be involved with a 4 car pile up Highlander>fiero<4runner< explorer truck

highlander stopped, fiero stopped, 4 runner stopped, then truck plows 4runner into me, me into highlander,

i even just put aero bumpers on and had them paint matched!!!

if anyone has anyidea what caused my engine to dump all the oil out, before i can get a chance to ascess the damage or can upload pics that would be great.

thanks

ill update the thread when i get car back to residence and remove hood and bumpers to see how bad it is

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
edfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroDirect Link to This Post
That sucks. Hope you have insurance to cover a customized car and not just basic coverage for 25 year old car. The insurance company may give you 500 bucks and tell you to get lost.
PF Flyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PF FlyerSend a Private Message to PF FlyerDirect Link to This Post
well new paint job? 60,000 miles, great condition, 1986 fiero is valued in descent condition at 3k, andddd my neck hurts?

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
have you been able to check the dipstick and verify missing oil?
and, seriously doubt the head came off the block - unless it was a helluvawreck - which you would not have walked away from

I'd more guess the oilpan got knocked. maybe punctured/cracked.
erniehawk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for erniehawkSend a Private Message to erniehawkDirect Link to This Post
Very first thing you should of done was call a lawyer!

------------------
Denise, Bristol PA (Ernie is my Brother) 86 SE, stock resto. Jasper reman, 5spd Isuzu

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
the "head" couldn't come off the block even if the car was dropped from "Outer Space". Is it OIL or Transmission fluid ? Could have "Cracked" something !?
IIKool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolDirect Link to This Post
Check the oil filter
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
Archived page from my website ScrewedByinsurance.com:
Auto Repair Bill Of Rights:
http://web.archive.org/web/...tobillofrights.shtml
Don't let them screw you over on the value of the car - it was the other guy's fault (I assume he got a ticket) & his insurance should pay you COST OF REPLACEMENT with all mods, paint, etc. included.
Document your hurting neck with a doctor's visit.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Tha Driver

4559 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Originally posted by erniehawk:

Very first thing you should of done was call a lawyer!

Ditto.
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Did an axle get pulled out of the transmission? That would let go of all the synchromesh/oil in it...

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com

"There are two types of Fiero owners - those that have gotten ripped off by Toddster, and those who will get ripped off by Toddster."

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I agree, check and verify its YOUR oil, not the other guys. Was it for sure oil, or maybe trans fluid from a busted radiator.

Id look for a punctured oil pan, oil filter or broken off sending unit . Motor will shift around in a hard hit. Id say knocking a head loose is next to impossible unless you got hit by a freight train.
PFF
System Bot
Syn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynSend a Private Message to SynDirect Link to This Post
oil filter could have be punctured, the pan could have been damaged, punctured or it could simply not be your oil. How hard did you get hit?
Celthora87GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Celthora87GTSend a Private Message to Celthora87GTDirect Link to This Post
ive seen videos of cars exploded for fun and the car is nothing more but guess what was till attached..... the block and the heads.... its next to impossible to "shear" the heads off if your heads separated YOUR head would have separated lol just thought i would throw that one in

------------------
1987 Black GT Custom interior with Mr. Mikes seats
Newly acquired 1985 coupe with series one 3800SC 5speed Getrag as a donor to the Fri Fri (87GT)

Ventura

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VenturaSend a Private Message to VenturaDirect Link to This Post
It's all speculation without pics but I'm wondering if he got hit hard enough to push the tourqe strut into the valve cover?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2011 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Even if it was a valve cover, not running it would only spill out the oil in that cover which isnt a whole lot.....maybe a few ounces. Wherever it came from, it should be easy to see if it was very much.
PF Flyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PF FlyerSend a Private Message to PF FlyerDirect Link to This Post
hmm, interesting ideas, i was hit hard, the truck was going over 45mph when he hit the 4 runner, i got the car back to my house last night but have not been able to look closely, school... however looking briefly at the damages at eyesight. the dog bone bracket that bolts to engine has been seperated about an inch. looks as if the bolt broke in the thread. the front right bumper was smushed under the car and the frame rail that mounts the top edge of the bumper is smashed in, and warped. hood is warped headlights dont open, trunk is banged in, rear bumper and mounts look to be snapped, and the engine looks to be sagging towards the cab of the car, exhaust mounts broke, and for those that mentiond another fluid? the fluid was coming out on the passenger side of the engine so ill get pics and get under the car figure out whats up with the engine

i am excited to have the car back, but seeing structural damage in the front is upsetting

thanks for all the feedback

mike
erniehawk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for erniehawkSend a Private Message to erniehawkDirect Link to This Post
And your not hurt? Hope your not. Whiplash can have lasting effects. I really really hope you called a lawyer. If you think the insurance will take care of you. remember this one fact.. Insurance companies are in business to NOT PAY. so if they come around with a check to settle it's really to get you off the list with fast money to you.

------------------
Denise, Bristol PA (Ernie is my Brother) 86 SE, stock resto. Jasper reman, 5spd Isuzu

PF Flyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PF FlyerSend a Private Message to PF FlyerDirect Link to This Post
pics are going to be uploaded of my car before and after. for those that are interested where the oil came from, listen up

the dog bone mount where bolted to engine was seperated from engine, causing the alternater mount to seperate as well rotating the alternator up 90 degrees, smashing it into the oil filter,

an appraiser wrote up the damages yesterday

Excellent condition!!!! fiero of that year nada value is about 4500!! the body damages he wrote me up for 3000, and then the frame damage and engine trouble will bring it up to about 4000 so i should be getting about what i put into my car if not more

the insurance company where my claim is, is a very reputable company USAA and are working with me very well and in a timely matter

pics are going to be uploaded shortly by another user
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
Glad to hear that you're in good standing on the insurance side of things, this situation sucks
PF Flyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PF FlyerSend a Private Message to PF FlyerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

Glad to hear that you're in good standing on the insurance side of things, this situation sucks

thanks for the support

its been a rough couple days

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear you'll be getting a nice check out of the deal. That'll help fix 'er back up again...
PFF
System Bot
PF Flyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PF FlyerSend a Private Message to PF FlyerDirect Link to This Post
yes it will help fix it up again and hopfully buy 87_specials ' 3500 turbo
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
Important thingis you're ok.
Click on the little blue box on the bottom of every page and upload the image poster, it's very easy....or if you email the pixs to me i'll upload them for you. PM sent.
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post

DLCLK87GT

2694 posts
Member since Feb 2009
I thought it was going to be much worse....can't believe the dog bone snapped from this....wonder if your motor mounts are bad causing your motor to move more than it should have...
Before

After

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 09-20-2011).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Id def be asking if they will sell it back to me. Usually they do for a few hundred dollars. You could fix it and come out a few grand ahead....
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PF Flyer:
Excellent condition!!!! fiero of that year nada value is about 4500!! the body damages he wrote me up for 3000, and then the frame damage and engine trouble will bring it up to about 4000 so i should be getting about what i put into my car if not more

I'm guessing they will probably total the car out with that high of a payout. In Ohio you can buy it back, turn it into a salvage title, then have it inspected as a rebuilt car.

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post

I think you could fix it for much MUCH less than they are going to pay you. I'd also argue to them if they want to total it, because it's far from totaled. The rear looks better than my Formulas was when I got it. A new bumper cover and the metal crash bar that’s under it from a fellow member for $50 and back in business. Fenders and hoods are cheep, the nose may be the expensive part of it as they tend to be a bit more expensive for just this reason, figure $150. I can’t imagine there’s much frame damage but that can be fixed for a few hundred as well. Figure a grand to put it back to where it was and then some.... and the rest for the 3800 swap you’ve always wanted!
Again, important part is nobody got hurt, it wasn't your fault and you/they had insurance.
RBoss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RBossSend a Private Message to RBossDirect Link to This Post
I know how you feel. Last fall I got sandwiched in between 2 cars and had no coverage. Somehow I got blamed and I didn't get a single cent. Thankfully, the damage was only body damage and I was able to fix it myself. Aside from a few scratches, the car looks better than most of the cars in my high school.
PF Flyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PF FlyerSend a Private Message to PF FlyerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

I think you could fix it for much MUCH less than they are going to pay you. I'd also argue to them if they want to total it, because it's far from totaled. The rear looks better than my Formulas was when I got it. A new bumper cover and the metal crash bar that’s under it from a fellow member for $50 and back in business. Fenders and hoods are cheep, the nose may be the expensive part of it as they tend to be a bit more expensive for just this reason, figure $150. I can’t imagine there’s much frame damage but that can be fixed for a few hundred as well. Figure a grand to put it back to where it was and then some.... and the rest for the 3800 swap you’ve always wanted!
Again, important part is nobody got hurt, it wasn't your fault and you/they had insurance.

tell this to my dad!! there is frame damage in the front and yes you are right if i bought it back myself i would come out a couple grande up, but my dad wants me to get a car now, and then fix it up over time, but the remainder of the money would pay for all parts needed pretty much

thanks for uploading the pics,

the car is a sport coupe 86, with ac and sunroof, i put in all power options, trunk keyless etc. it had the bumper pad bumpers on it, and replaced it with se bumpers, but it still has coupe rockers, interesting combo, it only had 60,000 miles on it, 5 speed with a new clutch,

anyone think i should get a fastback as a daily?
erniehawk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for erniehawkSend a Private Message to erniehawkDirect Link to This Post
I had a body shop manual for the cars, it has key measurements for all the ways to true up the car when it's been "tapped" It's amazing what can be done to a car's frame when put on the "rack" and monster chains, clamps, hydraulics pull, twist, and realign the frame. It's really difficult to find shops with the rack and with the talent that is needed.

On the other hand you can get just about any other Fiero and transfer everything and more to that car. The most difficult body panels to remove the are rear clip and the windshield frame. There is butyl under them and it's really really hard to separate. even in the hot sun!

------------------

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
The frame rack I use can pull a car in half with no problem. Whatever the frame damage is from that hit will pull out pretty easily. Maybe 30 minutes labor. Very worse would be a new 'box' welded on for a $100.
PFF
System Bot
PF Flyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2011 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PF FlyerSend a Private Message to PF FlyerDirect Link to This Post
heard from insurance, settlement offer was 4500, should be going up though because they didnt include paint, however, its not worth fixing. frame is severly twisted in back, and front,

will post pics of car without bumper covers on, low mileage, power options, air con and sunroof added about 2000 dollars

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock