3800 firing order - just want to make sure by ALJR
Started on: 08-10-2011 12:41 PM
Replies: 25
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 02-06-2012 08:51 PM
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Just asking to make sure I understan this fully before a make/cut my spark plug wires to length...

2k 3800sc motor
On the ICM coil packs, the order is 1, 4, 2, 5, 3, 6; #1 being at the connector end of the coil pack, first post?
Edit to add: THE ABOVE IS NOT CORRECT!

This is the proper coil pack orientation:
On the ICM coil packs, the order is 1, 4, 5, 2, 3, 6; #1 being at the connector end of the coil pack, first post

Cyl. firing order

Front of Fiero
5, 3, 1 -->wp
6, 4, 2 -->wp
Rear of Fiero

Thanks,
AL

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 08-11-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post

that should be for the 3800
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Deleted to avoid confusion to others who may search for this topic...

Anyone else who has posted misinformation, could you please remove or edit your post...

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 08-11-2011).]

hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
i found that on google, so u may want to tripple check...
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post

hookdonspeed

7980 posts
Member since May 2008
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

that should be for the 3800

That picture is all wrong. #1 is the forward most cylinder on the right.
coil pack goes 1/4 2/5 3/6

OP is correct.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.53@126.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 08-10-2011).]

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

That picture is all wrong. #1 is the forward most cylinder on the right.
coil pack goes 1/4 2/5 3/6

OP is correct.

Not to doubt you, as I am in agreement with you; but can anyone else confirm this before I cut my $80 wires for a custom fit?

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 08-10-2011).]

FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post08-10-2011 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by FriendOfYours (edited 08-10-2011).]

JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
Front of Fiero
5-3-1 -> WP
6-4-2 -> WP
Rear of Fiero

------------------

1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendOfYours:

This is the correct firing order.
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fatcat:

This is the correct firing order.

OK, so my coil pack was off a lil bit...
The order should be 1, 4, 5, 2, 3, 6; #1 being at the connector end of the coil pack, first post?
NOT 1, 4, 2, 5, 3, 6?
PFF
System Bot
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
which side is bank 1 and bank 2? i had to stop at my knock sensors wiring this morning bc i didnt know.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Please remove that pic from the to of this thread, it is incorrect with respect to the 3800 S2 in question. As others mentioned, cylinder #1 (For the S2 3800) is on the cabin side, not the trunk side.

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
Do you NOT have numbers on your coil packs? seems pretty hard to screw it up.

------------------
11.53@126.7

FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post08-10-2011 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
I don't think it matters which post it is on as long the wire is on the right coil pack
1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

which side is bank 1 and bank 2? i had to stop at my knock sensors wiring this morning bc i didnt know.

On almost any engine (with exception to rotory engines, turbine engines and maybe some others) the cylinder that is closest to the front of the crankshaft is always cylinder # 1. On twin bank engines, one bank will always be set back a bit further than the other. The bank that is closest to the front of the crank is bank 1 and it's most forward cylinder is cylinder # 1.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
im not understanding that explination
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
The #1 cylinder is always the closest one to the front of the motor. Flip the motor upside down and look at the rods connecting to the crank shaft.

------------------
11.53@126.7

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

Do you NOT have numbers on your coil packs? seems pretty hard to screw it up.

Nope, no numbers... MSD coils... Besides, who's to say some jack@ss before me didn't move the coils around

Like I said, I have custome length Taylor wires that cost me quite a bit; Just want to make sure I cut them to the propper length and to do so, I need to know where there going...
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
On a 2.8 - the number one is the cylinder closest to the alternator

On a 3.8 the number one cylinder is the one closest to the passenger.

As posted before - if you look at your engine from directly overhead, you will see the number one cylinder is actually the one closest to the pulleys on the crankshaft. (The cylinders are not directly across from each other - they are offset slightly - The connecting rod of one cylinder is in front of the connecting rod of the other cylinder on the crankshaft pin)

On the 3.8, the bank that has the number one cylinder (front) is also the number one bank. (Dark Blue knock sensor)

The number two bank is the rear bank. (Light Blue knock sensor)

So one more thing - re 3800 knock sensor. BOTH knock sensors have connectors that are the same size. But on the #2 knock sensor, GM used a short 3" wire from the knock sensor to a connector. They did that so they didn't have to reach way under there to unplug it. The connector on the main engine harness that plugs into that short wire has a connector on it that looks almost like the one that plugs into the knock sensor. But it won't fit in it as it is bigger in size. So either use just the knock sensor connector itself and run the main engine harness wire right to that (throwing away the stupid two connectors) - or if you wish, keep the double connector building the harness to use it. But don't be fooled by that connector thinking it will plug into your knock sensor - It won't.

If you are missing the connector that actually plugs into the knock sensor - go to the junk yard and look for a 3100. They use the same connector and it's right middle front and MUCH easier to reach compared to the 3800. Also while you are there, many of the 3100s have the three pin '88 style oil pressure switch/sender that you need also right on the front of the block.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 08-11-2011).]

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2011 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
phonedawgz - Can you confirm the coil pack order?

On the ICM coil packs, the order is 1, 4, 5, 2, 3, 6; #1 being at the connector end of the coil pack, first post
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2011 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
Also note that any two wires going to a single coil-pack can be switched around.

That may make neatly routing spark plug wires easier.

The picture should show the banks slightly offset due to the non-forked connecting rods.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 08-12-2011).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2011 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i understand that #1 cyl is closest on the pulley side, but what determines left or right banks; bank 1 and bank 2? starter side bank 2? or would that be bank 1?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2011 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
On a 3800

Cylinder 1 is in bank 1 (Front - starter side)

Cylinder 2 is in bank 2 (Rear - oil pressure sender side)

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-10-2011).]

DefEddie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2012 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
Just for clarity,on an OBDII engine bank 1 is always the bank cylinder 1 is on.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2012 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock