Steering column question by tgmchuck
Started on: 07-31-2011 02:32 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: theogre on 08-01-2011 07:33 PM
tgmchuck

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tgmchuckSend a Private Message to tgmchuckDirect Link to This Post
So in the last week or 2 my steering column has developed an alarming amount of vertical play. Seems to be coming from the tilt mechanism. I personally don't really have the special necessary tool, time, and most like lack the mechanical ability to take the steering column apart to try and fix it. So I spotted a pull a part near by that lists an 84 fiero on the lot. Will the column from an 84 work in an 88 formula?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
See my cave, steering in interior section

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
To answer your question, you can interchange the columns in all years of Fieros. Obviously, the 84 column won't have the same steering wheel as you currently have, but you will have to get a puller kit so you can remove the steering wheels on both columns, then install your '88 wheel on the '84 column.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post08-01-2011 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The main differences between columns have to do with options. For instance, a tilt and a non-tilt column use different ignition switches. If you swap from one to the other you have to swap the ignition switches on the columns. Manual and auto the same thing. The windshield wiper control switch comes in two flavors, intermittent and non-intermittent. They're a bit harder to swap out.
tgmchuck

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tgmchuckSend a Private Message to tgmchuckDirect Link to This Post
I don't suppose any one knows off the top of their head if the steering column from any other gm cars will work as well? just in case the one I'm going to look at is just as bad off as the one i'm trying to replace.

Thanks
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post08-01-2011 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The upper section is the same, but the lower shaft that goes to the steering box can vary in length. I don't know that anyone's ever compiled an interchange list for that.

Check around for someone in your area that repairs wobbly GM columns, that's a pretty common pattern failure and I've seen folks advertise flat rate repairs for under $75, once as low as $40.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
See cave.... article has link etc to fix it...

Need 2-3 tools and in most loaner tools like Autozone.
and take pictures for any part in ? later, not in links, etc.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 08-01-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock