88 sway bar sizes by schw32m
Started on: 07-13-2011 10:50 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: schw32m on 07-16-2011 09:50 AM
schw32m

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2011 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for schw32mSend a Private Message to schw32mDirect Link to This Post
What is the diameter of the front sway bar in an 88?

I'm pretty sure that, as opposed to prior years. the front and back are not interchangeable..

Soooo would using a stock bar in the front and an aftermarket in the rear of the same diameter unbalance the suspension?

[This message has been edited by schw32m (edited 07-13-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2011 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post
The 88 front sway bar is 28mm in diameter. The rear is 22mm.

Hope this helps ya...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. All original.

fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2011 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post

fierogt28

2938 posts
Member since Feb 2005
BTW, the 84-87 fieros have a 23mm front sway-bar diameter.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.

schw32m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2011 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for schw32mSend a Private Message to schw32mDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

The 88 front sway bar is 28mm in diameter. The rear is 22mm.

Hope this helps ya...

Ok thanks..

So would using the stock 28mmfront and an addco 25mm rear cause any problems?
fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2011 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post
Well, you need the correct sway bar design (shaping) so it will accomadate the rest of the set up. (end-links and sway-bar bushings)

If this addeco sway bar is exactly like the 88 sway-bar original, just get the right diameter sway-bar bushings (25mm) to bolt to the cradle.

BTW, the 84-87 aftermarket rear sway-bar will NOT fit to an 88 fiero rear set-up. The bar is not the same.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.

schw32m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2011 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for schw32mSend a Private Message to schw32mDirect Link to This Post

Well, you need the correct sway bar design (shaping) so it will accomadate the rest of the set up. (end-links and sway-bar bushings)

If this addeco sway bar is exactly like the 88 sway-bar original, just get the right diameter sway-bar bushings (25mm) to bolt to the cradle.

BTW, the 84-87 aftermarket rear sway-bar will NOT fit to an 88 fiero rear set-up. The bar is not the same.

The listing is for an 88 rear sway bar.. so I would assume that this is an aftermarket copy of the original shape for an 88.

I do understand the difference between the 88 suspension and the 84-87 and that the parts are not interchangeable.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2011 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by schw32m:

Soooo would using a stock bar in the front and an aftermarket in the rear of the same diameter unbalance the suspension?

The sway bar diameter is just one aspect to consider when trying to compare the effectiveness of one bar to another. The other very important feature is the length of the bar where it turns 90* at both ends. Don't get confused with the end links, I'm talking about the integral part of the bar that turns and forms the short "arms". If these arms are the same length as the stock sway bar arms, then you can compare apples to apples.

So if this is the case, then adding a larger diameter sway bar in the rear (assuming the same torsional stiffness of the bar as stock), then you can expect that the car will handle with less understeer. To know how much less, unfortunately it's going to need to be installed and test driven. But I'd guess you'll be just fine. The car will have a tendency to be more tail-happy in slippery turns.
schw32m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2011 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for schw32mSend a Private Message to schw32mDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

The sway bar diameter is just one aspect to consider when trying to compare the effectiveness of one bar to another. The other very important feature is the length of the bar where it turns 90* at both ends. Don't get confused with the end links, I'm talking about the integral part of the bar that turns and forms the short "arms". If these arms are the same length as the stock sway bar arms, then you can compare apples to apples.

So if this is the case, then adding a larger diameter sway bar in the rear (assuming the same torsional stiffness of the bar as stock), then you can expect that the car will handle with less understeer. To know how much less, unfortunately it's going to need to be installed and test driven. But I'd guess you'll be just fine. The car will have a tendency to be more tail-happy in slippery turns.

This is the sort of info I'm looking for. The current setup has no rear sway and from the previous poster a 28 mm front. This being the case, from info I have read you would want to make sure the rear is slightly smaller than the front so that you maintain the balance of the steering while adding additional control to the rear.

The setup I run on my 85 uses a 1" bar up front and the stock 7/8" bar moved to the rear.

Since the design of the 88 suspension is different, I wanted to make sure that the same rule would apply. I.E. keeping the stock 28 mm up front and using the 25 mm in the rear.
fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2011 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post
BTW, your going to need the end-link brackets that bolt to the rear struts. This is an 88 specific part that 88GTs and Formula's only had.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.

schw32m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for schw32mSend a Private Message to schw32mDirect Link to This Post

BTW, your going to need the end-link brackets that bolt to the rear struts. This is an 88 specific part that 88GTs and Formula's only had.

Figures, So it looks like I'll either have to have them fabricated, or find someone who has a pair they wish to part with.
fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by schw32m:

Figures, So it looks like I'll either have to have them fabricated, or find someone who has a pair they wish to part with.

Yep...

I think you can get them from Held Motorsports suspension. There in the US and sell other suspnsion parts to upgrade from 84-87 models to 88s. They have those brackets you need. Give them a try and ask them if they sell just the 88 pair.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.

PFF
System Bot
schw32m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2011 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for schw32mSend a Private Message to schw32mDirect Link to This Post

Yep...

I think you can get them from Held Motorsports suspension. There in the US and sell other suspnsion parts to upgrade from 84-87 models to 88s. They have those brackets you need. Give them a try and ask them if they sell just the 88 pair.

Held isn't open right now according to the website so this project will have to wait.. Wanted to get some of this done while I had the cradle out, but such is life.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock