Started on: 05-30-2011 12:50 AM
Replies: 35
Last post by: weloveour86se on 06-06-2011 06:58 PM
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
Think my weep hole went off today. Does my car have one? 86se. Stopped at a local store and noticed anti-freeze leaking around the area of the water pump. Just put a new atl. in and think I prolly put the belt a lil tight. I've got what looks like a half inch of deflection. Its not that damm tight Now ive got the friggin tweety bird "chirp chirp" coming from my water pump! GRRRR lesson learned the hard way! Water pump bearing is going south on me this much I know is true!

So now I've gotta replace the water pump and thats fine its probably 127,453 miles old anyway.

What are some things I'm going to need? Should I and can I flush the system in anyway? Any helpfull hints? What about how to refill the system?

Wheres the, "What do you call you fiero", thread again? Mines called, "Aw Nice, its doing what?" lol wouldnt have it any other way!

What are some other things I should think of while I'm there and have it out? Anything else I can get at while I'm there?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
awe you have a symbol monkey as a picture thats neat. i made a call of duty monkey bomb from one of those :-P
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-30-2011 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
There are plugs in the coolant tubes to help drain, as well as the petcock which should be on the radiator.
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Niterrorz:

awe you have a symbol monkey as a picture thats neat. i made a call of duty monkey bomb from one of those :-P

Embrace the monkey! love it. Call it George!

Bumpity bump bump! lol
Celthora87GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Celthora87GTSend a Private Message to Celthora87GTDirect Link to This Post
when i did mine i kept the engine in the car and took me about 5 hrs with the help of FireFox the hard part was getting all the bolts off. make sure you put all the bolts where they were.
Josh

------------------
1987 Black GT Custom interior with Mr. Mikes seats soon

Isurus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsurusSend a Private Message to IsurusDirect Link to This Post
Just did mine a week ago. The 2.8 does have a weep hole, it's just really hard to see. I pulled the battery, battery side wall, passenger tire and splash guard. I also disconnected and moved the EGR solenoid out of the way. Like someone else posted, make sure you make a note of where all the bolts go. As I removed mine, I just placed them on the new water pump. For added fun, GM uses 3 different sized Torx bolts!
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierDirect Link to This Post
Morning,

This post (and the link contained in it) will probably be of considerable help to you. You can do it all from the top, without removing the wheelhouse. I had the thrill <?> of doing it twice since it blew out the sealant the first time.....work fine with old fashioned gasket cement, though. Look here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/110635.html

Good luck to you!

Larry
Pappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post
I would recommend this

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=22&products_id=71

And if you haven't done so already go get your manuals here

http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/downloads.php

Best of luck to you

[This message has been edited by Pappy (edited 05-30-2011).]

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:

Morning,

This post (and the link contained in it) will probably be of considerable help to you. You can do it all from the top, without removing the wheelhouse. I had the thrill <?> of doing it twice since it blew out the sealant the first time.....work fine with old fashioned gasket cement, though. Look here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/110635.html

Good luck to you!

Larry

TYVM Larry will check that out! I'm weeping in the driveway on Memorial Day?! SAD! I'm SAD. Two Blocks from one of the best cruise spots in Maine, Old Orchard Beach. Our sleepy lil town goes from around 5k to about 30k plus population over night. And here I sit......SAD! Cruising the strip in our Jeep Liberty is just not the same at all!

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

weloveour86se

4289 posts
Member since Feb 2011
So trying to get the things I'm gonna need together, making my shopping list now;

New water pump w/ metal impeller and gasket
RTV sealent
Anti-seize
Thread sealent, same as RTV?
3/16th hex bit
T-30, T-40, T-50, 15mm
Torque wrench
Plastic putty knife
Anti-freeze
6 pack of Coors light
My pretty girlfriend to hold my wrench

So far thats all i can figure out. Dont really have the cake right now for the Rodney Idler set-up, thats for later on I'm thinking. Can anyone think of anything else I will need?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
a bigger wrench?
PFF
System Bot
jtsordel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jtsordelSend a Private Message to jtsordelDirect Link to This Post
I just started this same process myself today. I have 2 bolts that won't budge (currently drenched in PB for the night) and 2 more that are gunked up and don't want to come out (they're unscrewed from the threaded end, but don't want to pull through). Take extra care when working on the 2 T50 bolts. The bit I have doesn't like to stay squared in and pops out easily, increasing the risk of stripping the bolt (one of my T50 bolts is one that doesn't want to move). Taking the bolts off the pulley first, with the belt in place, makes life really easy. The bolt that sits basically underneath the pulley is easier to get at from underneath the car, with the wheel and tub removed, but can be gotten to from the top with a little touch ESP.

And before anyone brings it up, yes I am going to be swapping out my 2.8 for a 4.9 but that still a few weeks out and I need my GT for work in the meantime. It's like shoe knows I am swapping the motor so she's forcing me to work on her before I discard her. It's really frustrating to spend money on a motor I'm not even keeping....

At any rate, placing the bolts into the new water pump is great advice and keeps things neat and clean, plus it keeps bolts from "growing legs" and disappearing on me.

Anyway, good luck with it. It's not super-hard, but not the easiest thing either.

Thanks!!!

Josh

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
Explatives here...Several of them!!

Both drain plugs on either side just stripped right out. They are NOT gonna be coming outta there any time soon!!

What are my options? Drain petcock on radiator? Is there one? I cant spot it.. Feel free to add more explatives of your choosing here.

Theres still alot of fluid in the system, I pulled the radiator cap in the front and some leaked out. The rads. pretty much full looking. I dont think just pulling the water pump and trying to catch as much fluid as I can seems reasonable.

EDIT; Found the petcock, pulled the overflow tank and there it is. Hows it gonna come out? Gushingly? Should I try and hold my funnel over the drain? Or is it gonna be a more controlled drain? How much roughly am I gonna need to catch? How many Gallons should I be prepared for? Any tips on containers?

[This message has been edited by weloveour86se (edited 05-31-2011).]

timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:

Think my weep hole went off today. Does my car have one? 86se. Stopped at a local store and noticed anti-freeze leaking around the area of the water pump. Just put a new atl. in and think I prolly put the belt a lil tight. I've got what looks like a half inch of deflection. Its not that damm tight Now ive got the friggin tweety bird "chirp chirp" coming from my water pump! GRRRR lesson learned the hard way! Water pump bearing is going south on me this much I know is true!

So now I've gotta replace the water pump and thats fine its probably 127,453 miles old anyway.

What are some things I'm going to need? Should I and can I flush the system in anyway? Any helpfull hints? What about how to refill the system?

Wheres the, "What do you call you fiero", thread again? Mines called, "Aw Nice, its doing what?" lol wouldnt have it any other way!

What are some other things I should think of while I'm there and have it out? Anything else I can get at while I'm there?

be SURE your replacement water pump has a metal impeller. everyone here has problems with the rebuild units that have a plastic impeller.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post

Explatives here...Several of them!!

Both drain plugs on either side just stripped right out. They are NOT gonna be coming outta there any time soon!!

What are my options? Drain petcock on radiator? Is there one? I cant spot it.. Feel free to add more explatives of your choosing here.

Theres still alot of fluid in the system, I pulled the radiator cap in the front and some leaked out. The rads. pretty much full looking. I dont think just pulling the water pump and trying to catch as much fluid as I can seems reasonable.

EDIT; Found the petcock, pulled the overflow tank and there it is. Hows it gonna come out? Gushingly? Should I try and hold my funnel over the drain? Or is it gonna be a more controlled drain? How much roughly am I gonna need to catch? How many Gallons should I be prepared for? Any tips on containers?

Why don't you undo a hose clamp at a cooling tube and dump it all into a kiddie swimming pool?
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timgray:

be SURE your replacement water pump has a metal impeller. everyone here has problems with the rebuild units that have a plastic impeller.

Thanks Tim! I forgot to ask when I ordered it. Called back and he couldnt find it in the description but says it looks metal by the pic.Typical right? Autozone. Also asked about the extra bracket piece that keeps the timing cover held in place, if that was included. He couldnt tell by the item discription. Part wont be here till Friday. Should give me plenty of time to get everything ready.

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Get Dodgerunner's tensioner kit, and never have to adjust your belt again. And it's easy on water pumps.
W Scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for W ScottSend a Private Message to W ScottDirect Link to This Post
The whole cooling system holds about 13 liters about 3.5 gallons. Some water pump lubricant would be a good thing too add to the new coolant when you are refilling the system.

Also if you are a bit lazy a 3M bristle disc (120 grit white) on a right angle rotary air tool will make cleaning up the gasket surface a breeze. With the putty knife or a gasket scraper it's going to take some time and patience.

My local NAPA store sell them individually, maybe your does too. Here is a link to what I'm referring too:
http://www.shop3m.com/61500...Z-Roloc-Bristle-Disc

Take your time and be sure to put the right bolt back in the right spot - there are three different types holding the water pump on. Don't over torque the small ones because they will very easily strip out the threads!

Good luck

[This message has been edited by W Scott (edited 05-31-2011).]

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
Should I think about flushing the system? Can I do it at my house myself? Someone told me they sell a hose attachment to do just that.
W Scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for W ScottSend a Private Message to W ScottDirect Link to This Post
I would only go to the trouble of flushing the cooling system if it was contaminated or fouled. Does your coolant look contaminated, fouled or really slimey? If so flush it, if not don't bother. 127,000 miles on a water pump does not sound like a problem to me it just sounds like about a typical life span (actually maybe a bit better than some....).

Just remember if you do flush it you need to be sure to get ALL the flushing fluid out. The Orge's cave write up on coolant changing (part of this site) is really good advice - I followed it with good success. The Dodgerunner belt tensioner is good to, I have one and I'm very pleased with it. Actually all of the above posts offer some good thought too.

Oh and of course you can flush it at home, you don't need to use a special attachment either. When I have had too flush a system I have just repeated the fill, circulate and drain cycle a couple of times with distilled water.

Any that's just my thoughts and experiences. Once again cheers and good luck!

[This message has been edited by W Scott (edited 05-31-2011).]

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
K got the pump free and loose just havent pulled it completely out cause I gotta make a thing to keep my bolts orginized. I printed up the pic thats in the link above. duct taping it to a piece of cardboard and making some holes to stick the bolts in till re-installation.

Some quick questions tho

1. The nipple that screws into the pump housing where the hose connects, does that need any dressing?

2. going by the pic thats in the link above which bolts need RTV? Which bolts get anti seize? Which bolts get lubed? I read somewhere that the only bolts that get RTV are the ones that pass through the water jacket. Which ones are those that do so?

Thanks for any and all help

PFF
System Bot
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

The new one has no way to grab with a wrench but the old ones threads looks like it wont thread in enough....Any thoughts?
W Scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for W ScottSend a Private Message to W ScottDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you have made a bolt organizer similar to the one I made!

As for the nipple that screwed into the pump house I put some sealant on the thread just to be sure. Also mine looked just like the top one in your picture. I used water pump pliers on it to sung it up.

I also seem to recall putting thread sealant on all the threads for all the bolts holding the water pump. Maybe some day I'll regret that; but for now the water pump has been working flawlessly with out any leaks.

After I had mine together I let it sit for awhile (1/2 a day) to let the thread sealant/RTV set up and cure before putting in the coolant.
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
Whats the best way to get the old gasket material off? I've heard of some people using gasket cleaner spray and gently using a razor blade but this is tedious as hell! I know I dont wanna gouge anything. I'll do it if I have too but there must be a slightly less tedious way.

I have a really small Makita 18v cordless impact driver. I can use it as a drill. I can get it in there pretty good but don't know what kinda brush bit to use. I do know to be very careful not to mar the sufaces.

I can't afford the one linked above in Scotts link. TY for the tip tho Scott and Thank You Very much for ALL the other help too! Would be great to be set up for that. Ahhh....

Anyway whats a good way to get that stuff off?

Thanks for your time and have a great night!

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

weloveour86se

4289 posts
Member since Feb 2011

Originally posted by W Scott:

Sounds like you have made a bolt organizer similar to the one I made!

Heres it is. Pretty straight forward. TYVM to whoever it was who posted this pic originally. Cant remeber who it was but kudos to them! Someone quote me and credit them please? Great stuff!

Just need to figure out which bolt needs what treatment...

P.S. I guess a previous owner got rid of the T bolts. How nice is that?

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

weloveour86se

4289 posts
Member since Feb 2011
How to get all that old gasket material off the casing?....

Bumpity bumpity bumps
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Whats the best way to get the old gasket material off? I've heard of some people using gasket cleaner spray and gently using a razor blade but this is tedious as hell! I know I dont wanna gouge anything. I'll do it if I have too but there must be a slightly less tedious way.

I have a really small Makita 18v cordless impact driver. I can use it as a drill. I can get it in there pretty good but don't know what kinda brush bit to use. I do know to be very careful not to mar the sufaces.

I just use a razor scraper very carefully. You don't want to nick or damage the metal.
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

I just use a razor scraper very carefully. You don't want to nick or damage the metal.

All done cleaning the old gasket stuff off. Was a pain in the butt but pretty much all cleaned up. Now to figure out which bolts get what treatments as far as applying anti-seize or RTV...

imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierDirect Link to This Post
Bolts 2,8,9, and 11 go into aluminum (Those were the T-30's originally) and so require anti-sieze. I used sealant on all the others although I believe only a couple of them go into the water jacket.

G'luck,

Larry
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:

Bolts 2,8,9, and 11 go into aluminum (Those were the T-30's originally) and so require anti-sieze. I used sealant on all the others although I believe only a couple of them go into the water jacket.

G'luck,

Larry

Perfect Flier! TYVM!!! Been searching for several hours off and on. Not counting all the time I spent sidetracked in the off-topic threads.

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
K were ready to start putting it all back together and were starting to think about the refill procedures.

How do we properly refill the system?

Thanks for your time and all the help!
PFF
System Bot
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

weloveour86se

4289 posts
Member since Feb 2011
Bumpity bumpity bump bump

Could start a new thread but would rather not....

What is the recommended refill precedure for the cooling system?
timgray

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post

Bumpity bumpity bump bump

Could start a new thread but would rather not....

What is the recommended refill precedure for the cooling system?

http://home.comcast.net/~fierocave/coolfill.htm

Search and you shall receive.... Ogre's cave is a great place to look for this kind of info...
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Tim very much. I knew the procedure wasnt the same as a typical car just wasnt sure about how to do it.

I now, after reading the imformation in the link you provided, know that I will have to replace my overflow tank as there is a slight crack in the area between the add and full marks, and it leaks. Maybe I will try that trick someone posted using baking soda and superglue to fix the crack first, just gotta go find the thread...

Anyway TYVM all for the help everyone!!
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
K Ok Heres where I now find myself... I was in the process of getting the heater core top tube ready to be bleed. Made a hook with a coat hang, double bent it so it wasnt a sharp edge. Stuffed that under the end of the top hose and worked it around. Step #5 on Gurgle Gurgle Blub. Started pulling a little and felt a shift....

Hopefully it was the whole heater core that shifted. Think Im gonna go ahead and pull the whole heater core to inspect it. Just disconnect both hoses and remove the cover inside and the core should come right out correct?

Also any good ideas on how I can test it for leaks? Just fill with water and see? Would doing so be suffiecient to test under pressure conditions? Am I answering my own questions?

I eventually shot a bit of WD-40 under the end of the hose and stuck my hanger back in there, worked the WD-40 around and the dang thing slid right off practically!!! GRRR! Wish I woulda thought of that sooner! Guess I could chalk it up to experience...

[This message has been edited by weloveour86se (edited 06-05-2011).]

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2011 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
Took her for a ride today with the miss along the coast.

TY very much everyone and plusses for all, dunno if you care but I gave em'

You guys are great! Hopefully we'll see ya out there!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock