Headlight motor seems to keep clicking. by elusivedotone
Started on: 05-20-2011 09:46 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: theogre on 05-22-2011 05:07 PM
elusivedotone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for elusivedotoneSend a Private Message to elusivedotoneDirect Link to This Post
My passenger side headlight motor seems to continue to make a clicking noise. Its a 86 GT. I noticed it when I got home and turned off the car then I went to turn the lights off, when they went down it just made a continual clicking noise. I looked at it and the Black knob with the 2 indentation holes with the word "Open with a semi arrow pointing in a clockwise motion" was continuing to spin. This is the first time I've had problems with it, as before they turned on and off perfect. I can still turn the lights on and off fine and the motor brings them up and down. But when they are either up or down the black thing continues to spin uncontrollably.

I noticed on the driver side, the black knob is depressed down, whereas the passenger side one I can push it down but it springs back up. Any thoughts?

Edited * I found this video on youtube. This isnt my car, but this is the very EXACT thing my passenger side light is doing.

Does this look like I need a rebuild kit?

[This message has been edited by elusivedotone (edited 05-20-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
bonzo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
Yup it's time. Might as well do both. What happens is, the teeth are worn on the gears. It doesnt get the light down far enough to shut off the motor. There is a thermal switch that opens. Once it cools down it tries to bring the light down. Repeat.

------------------

84 Show winner
88 LT1

jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2011 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post
My Passenger side does the same thing

Here's a good How to
http://www.youtube.com/watc...t=PLACD1FDBC9673503F

[This message has been edited by jwrape (edited 05-21-2011).]

elusivedotone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2011 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for elusivedotoneSend a Private Message to elusivedotoneDirect Link to This Post
Yea after reading through various posts and looking on youtube, i figured its time for a rebuilt kit. Now Im wondering if the aluminum gear headlight motor rebuild kit on fierostore http://www.fierostore.com/P...0&d=182&p=1&lp=88199 is better/last longer than the 84-86 HEADLIGHT MOTOR REBUILD KIT (for both motors) http://www.fierostore.com/P...px?s=88199&d=182&p=1 with the 2 gears which Im not sure the material is for the gears.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2011 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
I've had problems with the Fiero Store kits continuing to 'tick' but not spin as shown in the video. It will eventually burn up the motor or kill the battery. It seems to be due to the rubber bumpers that are included in the kit. I've replaced the bumpers with alternate materials and haven't had a problem. Rodney's kit comes with the anodized aluminum gear, bumpers, and grease. Personally I prefer the Fiero Store plastic gear, only because that would be the weak spot. If something malfunctioned, I'd much rather replace a plastic gear than possibly destroying the motor. but I prefer Rodney's bumpers and lube.
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2011 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiDirect Link to This Post
^ From what i've heard, though, the Fierostore plastic gear is nowhere near as strong as the original plastic gear, and thus tends to distort and fail even under normal loads.

A malfunctioning or jammed motor would usually cause the thermal breaker to trip anyway.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2011 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Fix it now...

Yes... Fail Gen 1 Motors can fry and/or can drain/kill your battery.

And to a search... picture/video posted w/ F'd up Fiero store's gears.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock