Need to know info on rocker arms. by fierofinder
Started on: 05-13-2011 12:31 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: fierofinder on 09-13-2011 01:58 PM
fierofinder

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderDirect Link to This Post
This thread is for anyone wanting to purchase full roller rocker arms for your 2.8 or 3.4. I recently got myself a set of full roller rockers but it wasn't easy telling which ones would work or not. I searched a lot and asked several times but never got what I needed so I did some of my own research. I ended up buying a set from summit that on there website said fit the 3.4 but were to wide. So I made a bunch of phone calls and asked a lot of questions. I called comp cams, crane cams, summit, scorpion performance, arp. Everyplace I called gave me excellent service, but the real breakthrough came from crane cams. First off I knew someone here was using Scorpion rockers, but scorpion doesn't make them for our application, but they make narrow body ones for the 4.3 vortec. So I asked crane cams if there gold full roller rocker that they sell for our application is the same rocker they sell for the 4.3 and so it is. At some point chevy changed how they bolt the head down on the 4.3, they refer to it as center bolt down valve covers, and because of this they require a narrow body rocker just like we need on the 2.8 and 3.4. So when you buy full roller rockers buy narrow body rockers for the 4.3 vortec, and the same when buying the conversion studs. When you call ARP you have to ask for the vortec conversion studs, they don't list them for our application. The new set that I ordered were the scorpion full roller rocker self aligning ones for the 4.3 and there is plenty of side to side clearance. I haven't tested the valve cover clearance yet but I will add that info when I get it and anything else I remember later on.
Another thing is it didn't seem to matter whether you use self aligning rockers or not, as long as you remove the guide plate if using the self aligning ones. I got that same reply from a couple different techs from different companies. Please feel free to add good info to this thread.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Are these the same length as the stock rockers or for getting a higher ratio ?
Going to rollers for the gas savings would be interesting.
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
And make sure to post up a nice picture when installed please.
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Are these the same length as the stock rockers or for getting a higher ratio ?
Going to rollers for the gas savings would be interesting.

The ones that I got are 1.6 ratio, and I do have a mild cam already installed. Thats why I'm a little concerned about clearance. Next time I get a chance I will measure both the stock and the new rollers with a digital caliper and see what the difference is. I was told there is a slight difference in the lengths by one of the techs, but he also said that it is so slight that it won't make any difference and the stock pushrods are fine, no need to remeasure.
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderDirect Link to This Post
So here they are.

There are some fitting issues. The stud cap sits up to high and hits the valve covers, and also they are pretty close to each other at the tops. I'm going to just file a little of the upper corners to be sure they don't hit. Also I'm going to try and make a spacer for the valve covers. I'm going to try some oil resistant plastic rated for 260 deg. If that doesnt hold up I'll have the machine sop make some out of aluminum. I looked into the edelbrock valve covers, but they say they only come in stock height.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
I had part #'s in my "project 3400 roller cam" thread for the past 5 years...
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if that thread came up when I searched, and if it did I may not have checked it out since I'm using the 3.4 pushrod not the 3400, and i'm not using a roller cam.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
The cam won't change the rockers...
I'm using a 3400 block with Fiero heads. All I had to change was the pushrod length and I had to use 1.6 rockers to get the stock roller cam lift.
I would never put in a flat tappet cam again, roller is the now.
Y_B_A_FOOL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2011 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Y_B_A_FOOLSend a Private Message to Y_B_A_FOOLDirect Link to This Post
Can you use there rockers on other 60 degree motors like the 3400 or 3500?
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2011 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I have a set of Scorpion 1.6's on my new engine. I have the Edelbrock valve covers so I don't know if they clear the stock valve covers. I got them for the narrow body application with the 3/8's/ 10mm conversion studs.

I used the conversion studs on my present 2.8 and I can tell you that to set up using them your adjustment is the same as an SBC. You go to "0" play and then tighten 1/4 turn. That is all.

The 1.6 roller tips I am using really change the exhaust note and they do free up some horses. The full rollers will add flexibility to your usable rpms.

I like 'em

Arn
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2011 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:
I used the conversion studs on my present 2.8 and I can tell you that to set up using them your adjustment is the same as an SBC. You go to "0" play and then tighten 1/4 turn. That is all.
Arn

Having SBC threaded studs doesn't mean the proper adjustment is exactly how you do it on a SBC. There are other factors involved.

See Marvin McInnis' formula:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/116764.html

PFF
System Bot
DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2011 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
Narrow body rockers are also available for the vortec 96-2k 5.0/5.7 305/350 motors also.
I have a set of stainless 1.6's out in the shop.
Sometimes they are easier to find then the V6/4.3 rockers and you've got spares (generally not much price difference either).
Just make sure you tell them you need narrow body for vortec heads,or they will send you stocker wide body's.
Proform makes some low cost narrow body rockers.
I'll have to see if mine fit now just to see,lol. I've got a 3.4 and 2.8 in the shop.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2011 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Having SBC threaded studs doesn't mean the proper adjustment is exactly how you do it on a SBC. There are other factors involved.

See Marvin McInnis' formula:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/116764.html

That thread ends up recommending 1.5 turns which is WAY OVER. I've done it. I can tell you that 3/4 turns on a new SBC is one thing, but 1/4 turn on broken in lifters is plenty for full rollers on 3/8's" threads.

Arn
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2011 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderDirect Link to This Post
Would you mind going a little more in depth with your experiance with this. I havent had time to work on my Fiero lately, but I haven't got it started since I did the 7730 swap and the roller rockers. It tries to start but kind of backfires and dies like it is trying to fire on the wrong cylinder. I've been working with Darth on all the components of the 7730 swap, but was curious is actually having my rockers overtight would cause them not to open enough and cause issues. I tightened mine right at like 1 1/4. Was hoping for a little more insight on this before I pull the valve covers off and do the lash over.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock